I like M77's

Ruger also made a 77RLS which was an ultralight like the one pictured but it had an 18.5" bbl and open sights. They were made in 30/06, 270, 243, and 308. I had a few of them but sold them off like a dope. Now try and find one!

You all have some nice ones there.

I just gave my vintage M77 to one of my nephews. I picked it up used years ago strictly to build on and after speaking with Ruger on it I decided against it.

Mine, was chambered in .280 Rem / 7mm Express, and had the 24" bull barrel on it. In speaking with Ruger when I got it, they allowed it was called a Varminter package, and they only made a couple thousand of them in that configuration, and that I might should hang on to in the condition it is in. Everything on it was in about 95-98% perfectly new condition.

I had it out over Thanksgiving and worked up the new load for it shooting the 139gr Hornady. I preseneted it to him yesterday along with 50 rounds of custom taylored ammo. Should last him a lifetime of hunting and shooting.

I also have the Ruger Comapct in .308 which is my favorite rifle of all I have. Along is't lines I also picked up one of the newer SS version with the extended rail on it in .243 for my grandson.

I have a 1975 M77V in 25.06 and a 1976 M77V in 22-250.

Both are great shooters. The 25.06 prefers the heavier bullets. Can't seem to get a decent load with the Sierra 90gr HP. Goodness knows I have tried.

The 117-120 gr. bullets work fine. The 250 likes the Sierra 52 gr. hpbt.

Best rifle I've ever owned. Had it for 20 years and it was a tackhammer with the paddle stock. Now it's in a Boyds stock that I had the gunsmith pillar and glass bed and free float the barrel. If conditions are right and I'm shooting good it's a one hole rifle at 100 yards. Never have lost an animal with it hunting. They don't go over 10 yards and usually drop on the spot. .300 WM. Also bought the replacement (lighter) trigger spring thats made the trigger sweet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• gun5aaa.jpg
    gun5aaa.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 172
  • gun5aabbbvvv.jpg
    gun5aabbbvvv.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
I have 2 Ruger 77's, a 77/ 22heavy bl varmint that I use to bust
dirt clumps in the field out to 280 yds.
And a 77 mkll in 6.5x55 that can do head shot at 350 yards.
They both have had triggerwork done and are darn nice
guns.
I just wish I was as accurate as they are consistently:)

Ruger M 77 mk II s are hands down my favorite rifles and about the only action I truly trust. I regret building my 9.3x64 Brenneke on a Mauser action.
Alaska is very hard on rifles and it's a great place for the controlled feed Ruger's. .
One of the worst things Ruger never did was make a magnum length stainless action so It could house the 375 H+H and 416 Remington. But they did come out with the 375 +416 Ruger's which almost makes up for that.

I just picked up an M77 Mark II Target in .308.

Still waiting for the scope to come in, but I can't wait to see what it can do. The more I handle it, the more I like it. I just hope it holds up on paper (and in the woods).

Pretty excited, it's the first rifle I've purchased. Been hunting with a Rem 700 .270 that my dad got me when I was 16.

I have always liked the looks of the rugers, my dad had an older m77 .300 win mag walnut stock and everytime he hunted in any kind of wet weather the gun would have to be shot and rezeroed, we were getting ready for an elk hunt one year and I remember him getting so pi$$ed at that rifle he had it by the barrrel and was about to wrap it around a tree! (He tried having it glass bedded by a noted gunsmith and stil had the same problem) He hated that rifle with a passion, sold it and bought a remington model 700 .300 win mag and has loved that rifle from day 1, I have had mixed results with the model 77s also, I owned a .338 win mag m77 walnut stock, older rifle in incredible like new condition, that gun kicked harder than any rifle I ever owned and about ruined me with flinching (my own fault) I finally sold it. I bought a M77 in 7mm rem mag and it turned out to be a tack driver! Be careful if you tighten the screws up on the floor plate, its notorious for breaking, they actually make a steel replacement which IMO should be on the rifle in the first place! The last brand new ruger i bought was a M77 VMBBZ .17HMR, I put a jard aftermarket trigger in it, leupold 6-18 AO, It was a decent shooting rifle. I have owned at least 12 or 15 M77s over the years, I don't currently own any M77s nor intend to just not for me, I love the ruger no. 1s and there revolvers tho

Back