I like M77's

boattale

I really like Ruger Rifles.:cool:

DSC02664.jpg

The top one is .270. I bedded action and floated the barrel. It will shoot 1MOA when I do my part. That's a 3x9 B&L Elite 3200 firefly on it. Favorite deer hunting scope ever.

The middle one is .22LR. It's minute of squirrel head. Nikon fixed 4x on it. I dropped a trigger kit in that rifle.

The bottom one is .22 WMR. It's very picky about ammunition. With Remington Premier Ballistic tips, its a 1 MOA rifle too. The scope is a Leupold Compact 2x7. That rifle has a trigger kit in it too.

The 2x7 Compact was originally on the .270 but didn't quite make the grade for early and late shooting.

All three of these are hunting rifles. Love them. They'll be around when they have the sale.

The Model 77 (and all of iterations) is my favorite bolt-action rifle too-and my collection reflects my tastes. As nice as your fledgling collection is and as hard as I looked, I didn't see an International model anywhere...;)

I'm funny. Once I fill a using niche, I'm done. I know, it's sacreligious.

As cool looking as the Internationals are, the RL will do everything they will except for the look. And will probably actually shoot better.

I'm a fan of the M77 too.

I have one in in 7mm Remington Mag, and it's little cousion, the 77/22.

I like the boat oar composite stock.

I kick myself for getting the walnut on my 7mm in lieu of the boat oar stock because, shortly thereafter it was discontinued and I have yet to find another one on the usd market in any caliber.

Nice rifles man! Those look great! I'm with ya all the way on the Rugers! I grew up shooting, and would later inherit my dad's old M77 30-06 from the 1970's- it'll forever be what I compare all other bolt action rifles to. Not to hijack, but just to share in the M77 affection LOL: Below is my inherited Ruger M77 and my new school Ruger GSR (based on the M77).

4219smaller.jpg

LGS just got in a bunch in .44 mag Thinking of getting one of the stainless ones with black laminated stock for next seasons deer and hogs.

what?

Hey..........is that a fore end cap on the .270? Must have went on with the bedding job.

Me....I like the early Ruger 77 style stock, no cheek piece, no fore end cap, just classic walnut. LIke the looks. But.....

For plane tough, the boat paddle synthetic wins.

SPEmack, check gunbroker now and then. 7mm mags in the zytel "skeleton" stock are really are easy to find and affordable.
I have a few myself. The 77/22 LR is a great trainer for the bigger rifles. My favorite has to be my old 223. Once I found a bullet/powder combo it likes I have had a great time with it. But every m77 mkII deserves a trigger job in my opinion.

Me too,Own a few.
22Mag like yours-3x9x40
MKII 25-06 Wood stock 4x16x50
MKII SS 25-06 3X10X50 LEUPOLD TACK.
M77 VT 243 6X18X44.
Had to replace the barrel on the wood stock 25-06 after 4000 something rounds.All are super rifles,No complaints here. And the freezer is full.
All have trigger jobs,its all they needed.Love um.:D

BTW that top rifle is a Mark I RL that I bought new. Rifle was made in 1985, same year that I bought it. I read in another post in the forum it may actually have some value, other than sentimental to me.

Last edited:
@ Bamaranger: The Mark I RL (ultralight) rifles had the ebony end cap from the factory. I know I'm prejudiced but I think its a really good looking rifle.

My first deer rifle was an M77 in 30-06 and was a great gun. I let my dad trade it for something else in exchange for his S&W 7mm Rem. Mag. Kind of wish I still had the M77 but I love that 7mm. Have killed everything I have ever shot at with it. Confidence in a rifle makes a difference and besides it is prettier than the M77.:)

Strange. I own a lot of rifles, mostly custom, but come hunting time My 40 year old M77R 300WM always seems to find its way into my hands. It also seems to make it to the range almost every time.

well how 'bout that

You live and learn. I did not know that the UL rifle even existed, much less came with a fore end cap. Your's is a nice rifle, but the end cap threw me.

Thanks

@ bamaranger: Besides the fore end cap, the RL rifles have a 20" light profile barrel and no iron sights. I think those are the only real differences between them and the regular M77.

Back