I know, another "New gun for the wife".

what would be your choice

• S&W M&P bodyguard 38 with the crimson trace laser. 14.3 oz

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Ruger LCRx and we will install a laser on it. 13.5 oz

Votes: 17 43.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe a nice weekend roadtrip is in order then!
Find where they rent, eat a nice dinner out, make it special.

Guys come on.... the OP said ....there is no place local he can rent one and let her shoot them...before she buys.

I didn't see a single post where anyone said to go rent a gun. One poster suggested that she go to a dealer and dry fire both with snap caps. And that poster was you.:confused:

Living in Fort Wayne IN there are very few ranges that rent guns. The one that does rent guns doesn't have ether for rent. Snap caps is a good idea.
Right now Gander has the Ruger on sale for 420$ and one local has the S&W for 480$.
As of right now she likes the Smith the best because of the laser that the gun comes with.
I explained that we can get a Laser on any gun but she is still thinking.
Crimson Trace Ruger LCR Laser Grip is almost 300$
Most grips with laser's are running >240$
The Laser's that mount on the front of the gun at the trigger guard for 70$ she doesn't like.

Sounds like YOU want her to get the Ruger
Yes but I know better than to tell her what to get, I can make suggestions but that's about it.
Money is no option but I know she is in many ways smarter than I am and a good shopper.
Then again if she doesn't like it, it will end up in my safe like the other two.
Glock 26 and soon to be 60.

Obviously, the right answer is what she wants. If she wants to weigh our opinions, here is mine:

The LCR was a major breakthrough in lightweight pocket revolvers. My experience with several has been nothing other than flawless. They are light, carry well, and shoot very well for a gun that small and light. The stock grips are a big part of that and what they add to the size they more than make up for in boosting control and mitigating recoil. When you say that you will be installing a laser, what kind? I know that the crimson trace grips change out that beautiful stock grip and sadly, I don't have personal experience with them.

All my experience has been with the standard LCR models. Is there a reason she needs a hammer? Not having a hammer can go a long way towards comfortable carry and a smooth draw. Also, there are a few more options if you don't need the hammer. My favorite is the LCR 327. With .327 Federal Magnum, she'll get six shots instead of the standard five. Those shots will recoil like .38 +p despite having more power.

Between the 2 you have listed, I have shot both and generally they are both good choices. I would go with the LCR however, for 1 big reason: I do NOT like the location of the cylinder release on the S&W Bodyguard .38. If your wife is like me, I have a lot of training time on running cylinder releases on the left side of the frame that either push forward (Taurus, S&W) or push in (Ruger). The Bodyguard is great if you are left handed and not ingrained on different release systems. Something to consider.

What did she think of the S&W x42? Just wondering, that is my preference over all the others. Biggest thing for me is the trigger: J frames smooth up over time (usually) and I prefer the firm, positive return to the mushy return of the Ruger LCR. But that's just me.

I have been shopping around for my very first revolver purchase, and the LCRx is definitely one of the top options on my list. I just fell in love with the double action trigger, and the single action is pretty darn nice, too. Of course, for carry purposes, the DA pull is most important, and that is where the LCRx really shines. The only reason I haven't gotten one yet is that I am waiting for them to offer it in other chamberings besides just .38. If .38 is what she wants, though, I would go with it in a heartbeat.

Mind you, I'm not saying the Smith is bad, but I have checked them out, too, and I just like the Ruger better. Of course, her preferences matter far more than mine, yours, or anyone else's, so just remember that all the advice you get here is worth exactly what you paid for it ;)

Last edited:
I seriously don't think you could go wrong with either. I've seen the CT grips for $199 many places, but that still makes the Ruger $140 more in the long run. Another $140 for practice ammo. Plus, while Ruger stands behind their guns, S&W gives you a written lifetime warranty. With everything else the same, those two things would be the decision maker for me.

Back