• S&W M&P bodyguard 38 with the crimson trace laser. 14.3 oz

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Ruger LCRx and we will install a laser on it. 13.5 oz

Votes: 17 43.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ozzieman

New gun for the wife.
She came up to me the other day and said she wanted to buy another gun to carry. Something lighter. Right now she carries an older Smith Wesson 60 that that weigh’s 22 oz empty.
I don’t need help picking out a gun but a decision of one of two. She has handled both the S&W and Ruger and like them the best.
If you had to choose between the two which would you pick. And why would you pick them.
Please don’t make suggestions for other guns, this is her gun and her choice. I would just like to give her pro’s and con’s from people that have owned them.
Thanks for your input:)
By the way I picked the Ruger, I like the way it feels in my hand

S&W M&P bodyguard 38 with the crimson trace laser. 14.3 oz
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57772_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

http://ruger.com/products/lcrx/specSheets/5430.html
Ruger LCRx and we will install a laser on it. 13.5 oz

Let her choose the gun she wants to carry. It will be hers anyway. Men usually have a way of picking guns we like someone to have without thought of what they would like. Since she has handled both she can check them out again and make the best decision for herself. When my wife was thinking about a gun for protection I thought a 5 shot S&W J-frame would be good. I checked several and I would not have one even for a paperweight. The trigger pull was so horrendously heavy she would not have been able to hit a 12 inch circle 5 feet away. She chose my 2 1/2" S&W 66-2 for her gun and I was pleased to let her have it.

Funny about the J Frame. I have a Model 60 and the wife has an SP101 and her's was the worst trigger I have ever tried. We had to take it to the gunsmith just to make it acceptable. It's better, but not as smooth as my S&W.

That said, 357 Python is correct. It's what feels best to her that matters. Rugers have always been known for their robustness and Smiths, their refinement. You might see if your local range has either or both for rent so she could take them out for a spin.

Good luck with whatever your choice.

Let her choose the gun she wants to carry
I think my point might have been missed.
Those are the two choices she made, on her own, going out and shopping ON HER OWN:)
Her problem is that she cant decide on which and I was hopping owners could add their likes and dislikes.
We have no way to let her shoot any since none of the few ranges have rentals and of all my friends none of them own one of the two

Her problem is that she cant decide on which and I was hopping owners could add their likes and dislikes.

OK I'll hop in. Of the two I would pick the S&W. If I understand the question she wants a new snubby lighter in weight. I have a 431PD in 32 mag and want the same gun in 38 special. Of the 442 and the 642 I prefer the 442. I like the matt black finish over the shiny silver finish. I haven't shot an LCR from Ruger but have handled one. No thanks. I'll take the S&W hands down.

The 642/442 is shown to weigh 15oz unloaded. Thats light enough to carry and not be too punishing to shoot. At least not with lighter bullets.

Well, I had to vote for the Smith. I am kinda bias though...bought this one just yesterday:

It is the model 642 Airweight, in .38 Special +P. The DAO trigger is heavy (read about 11 lbs.), but very smooth for a factory trigger. It tips the scales, empty, at 15 oz. I load it with Remington 110 grain SJHP HTP's. :)

I pick option "3", find a way for you wife to shoot as many pistols/revolvers as possible and let her decide which one she wants.

Having shot both I would go for the LCRx. First, i think it has a better trigger than the smith. Second, in my experience the felt recoil on the LCRx is substantially less than the Smith. I think it is the grip is just more ergonomic and the hogue tamer is awesome. Since you are going with a crimson trace, that's probably a wash. The Ruger is cheaper. However, I think the Ruger is a little bulkier than the smith. Hard choice, especially since you are set on a laser grip. But I think the LCRx still edges it out. YMMV

Though I'm a fan of Smith & Wesson handguns (and have many of them to prove the point), the Ruger LCR, imo, has a far superior da trigger pull-reason enough to choose it over any J-frame Smith for use in self-defense.

M&P 38spl with the Crimson Trace. The CT lasers are darn dependable. I have 7 of the auto-on grip style lasers. Yes 7 of 'em. Can't go wrong with point and click. The M&P wins in my book because of the lack of a hammer.

I have dry fired both....and I prefer the S&W because the trigger is much smoother in DA in my opinon. ( neither of them fit my large hands very well )...

I suggest you provide some snap caps...and ask the dealer if she can dry fire both, in rapid fire, and see what she thinks in terms of the triggers. If she can't live fire them...about the only way to evaluate them is by dry firing.

I'll add another vote for the Smith. I like my 642, and if she hasn't tried that one as well, she might want to.

Have her shoot both and then decide. Women generally have smaller hands and weaker wrists; the recoil of light handguns can be pretty uncomfortable for some. Weight vs caliber...

Yep, let her shoot them. A lot. Or a little. It's been my experience that a gun that isn't right is dismissed fairly early in the process. My wife might discard a gun after as few as two rounds. "Nope", she'll say and hand it back. Luckily we have lots of guns in the family, so when we get together to shoot, there might be 15-20 varieties on the table for general use.

After years of experience in such things, she likes a Colt Police Positive for carry, and a Traditions Rawhide series for CFDA shooting. Neither one of those are revolvers I'd pick, but those are her choice.

Guys come on.... the OP said ....there is no place local he can rent one and let her shoot them...before she buys.

Back