I Just Relocated to Colorado from Pennsylvania ....

JDBerg said:
OK Folks I just spoke with Audra one of the instructors at Shoot Indoors... here is the definitive answer on the subject;

My 17rd G-17 mags and my 16rd CZ 75B mags are LEGAL to own and use in CO, they are ILLEGAL to sell in CO.
...AND illegal to buy elsewhere and bring into CO.

Otherwise yes, I agree that this is the definitive answer. :)

As I posted before, my understanding is that it all hinges on whether you possessed the mags on July 1st, 2013 and have possessed them continuously since then, anywhere in the world.

As a footnote, IIRC the CO AG has issued a clarification stating that the magazines need not have actually been physically in your possession the entire time – they merely need to have been continuously owned by you and under your legal control. I don't remember where to find documentation of this clarification, but IMHO it makes sense given the context.

All that being said, if I were in CO with previously possessed large-capacity magazines, I would buy 10-rounders to use as range mags to avoid the possibility of casual loss or damage to the ones I couldn't lawfully replace.

carchrisguy, accurate again.

All that being said, if I were in CO with previously possessed large-capacity magazines, I would buy 10-rounders to use as range mags to avoid the possibility of casual loss or damage to the ones I couldn't lawfully replace.

I considered this, but damaged mags can be repaired. I was threw away two PMags with cracked lips literally in August of 2013. I forgot you could repair them. Is it worth $5.95 to mail a magazine to Magpul to have the documentation? That is a question each will have to answer. If I damage a metal mag for one of my pistols, it is going to the manufacturer with a note. Most of us in CO that compete have hundreds of spare mags. I have magazines for several firearms I don't even own yet. It sucks. But oh well.

^^^ True.

Perhaps I should have written that I would CONSIDER buying 10rd range mags. Of course, one reason I wrote this is that I HAVE bought unwanted and unloved used AWB-era 10-round range mags for several pistols I own, simply because they cost less than $15 at a gun show. :)

Ten round range mags are fine with me, fwiw, I never load my mags beyond ten or so anyway, too much trouble loading by hand that way

I really meant it both ways.
1. Familiarize yourself with the laws
then;
2. make a personal decision as to whether you are comfortable with those laws before moving

My area was just listed as one of the slowest growing in the country out of 500 major municipalities. I realize firearms can't dictate ones life. I've left firearms in the care of a friend when moving to an unfriendly area. It is a negative, but not a veto. 'Ignorance of the law is not a valid defense.'

Aquila Blanca: said:
It could be taken either way. I took it to mean that anyone who is at all interested in guns and shooting should investigate a state's gun laws and legal climate before considering relocating there. There are states that I absolutely would not accept a job in because of their gun laws.

I only have 2 pistols with greater than 15 round capacity magazines. I now have contacted a total of 3 indoor pistol ranges in the Denver area who all told me the same thing about these mags, that I could own & use them in state, I just can't sell them in state. And I'm fine with that. And I have previously worked in New Jersey but I would never live there because I could never get a NJ license to carry. My PA License to Carry Firearms is reciprocal with Colorado. So while I appreciate all the comments and opinions, I have the correct answers that I asked for.

You say your PA CCW is reciprocal in CO. While that may be true if you are a PA resident and visiting, I believe that once you become a resident of CO you are required to get a CO CCW.

Like was stated above, you should do your own research to be sure, but I believe that is the case.

In case you've never seen this, I've included a link to a clip that explains the level of intelligence we are dealing with here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT7TOL_V08M

Yep, your allowed to carry on your out of state permit for 90 days after becoming a Colorado resident and then you need to apply for your CCW at the Sheriffs department of the County you reside in.

Aguila Blanca said:
If you moved to Colorado, you are no longer a PA resident.
An excellent point, and something to consider whenever one moves away from a state that issues distinct Resident and Non-Resident licenses.

In some cases, the license automatically becomes void; however, sometimes there's a grey area in the law (not sure about PA). In such cases, IMHO the conservative course of action is to assume that the license is void.

Additionally, be cognizant that out-of-state licenses categorically never offer any protection from the federal GFSZA.

The Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms does not say on its face that it is "Resident" or "Non-Resident," and the statute does not make any distinction. However, Pennsylvania statute does provide that a LTCF shall not be issued to anyone who does not possess a valid license (permit) from his/her home state.

The statute doesn't address what happens when a person moves out of Pennsylvania. It doesn't even address whether or not you need to notify the county whose sheriff issued the permit. The big question is this: If you're not supposed to be able to obtain a PA LTCF if you don't have a valid permit from your state of residence, does the PA LTCF become void if/when you relocate to another state and don't already hold a valid license/permit from that state?

The OP by definition is no longer a resident of PA, and the revised reciprocity agreement between PA and CO now covers only resident licenses/permits. On that basis, IMHO (remembering that IANAL) it would seem that the PA LTCF may remain valid in PA but is not valid in CO. Beyond that, though, there's the unanswered question of whether the act of moving to CO without having first obtained a CO permit actually caused the PA LTCF to become void.

Sorry to muddy the waters, but the potential consequence of making a mistake on this is a felony conviction, so I think it's important to recognize that this is not the simple question it might have appeared to be at first.

Back