I just picked up my new Smith 686 PLUS today.

I could worry myself to death about the "read instructions" legalise on the barrel of my Ruger LCRX, but it doesnt show up when it's in the holster, so what?
Maybe I can take some bondo and fill it and mat black the barrel again!:D
Oh the worries of life!

AlongCameJones said:
New full-frame Smith revolvers were typically under $400 in the '80's.
I'm old enough to remember paying 25 cents per gallon for gasoline, too. It's called "inflation."

$400 in 1980 equates to $1,303 in 2021.

$400 in 1985 equates to $998 in 2021.

You got a bargain for your $900 ...

March 2014: I stepped into my LGS on my way into work just to pass some time. It was the peak of the Sandy Hook shortage. Their "wall of guns" was almost completely empty. One of the very few guns remaining was a 686+ w/ 3" bbl.

I asked the counter guy if I could see it - just for the heck of it; passing some time. The instant that thing hit my hand, I knew it was coming home with me (10-day wait in California). Love at first touch. I messed around with it long enough so the counter guy didn't think I was insane :p; but I instantly knew I was buying it. ($922 out the door, if memory serves.)

I am pleased with it. I have other Smith revolvers; most dating back to the mid-'80's - I'm a revolver guy. This one's trigger is rather heavy and a little gritty; but I don't mind at all. I shoot it just fine. Fine enough to carry. It's big, so I need a windbreaker for it to hide. But I'm here in sunny/warm California, so it's short sleeves 9 months a year. That's the only reason why I don't carry it all the time. I'm moving to Idaho. I'm looking forward to carrying it much more often there (looking forward to much more firearm freedom in general ;) ).

This kind of thing is why I'm only interested in the old S&W stuff. Newest S&W revolver I have is a 625-3. Made in '89. I've got a 28-2 that's just about to turn 55, another that's 42, and a third one is a young 40. Nothing S&W makes in centerfire handguns interests me in the slightest. Only thing they make that I want is a M&P 15-22 Pistol.

I'm pretty happy with my new 2.5", 6 shot 686 I bought recently. Polished up pretty nice with Mother's, not a Python type shine, but pretty good for an off duty CCW / fly fishing companion. IWB is so comfortable, I wore it kayaking 2 weeks ago and forgot I had it on. I got my money's worth, MIM, lock and all. After all, It's a SS S&W and in .357 Magnum to boot. ;)

Back