I have rejoined the brethren!

sights

Not so many years back, when I first joined this forum, I used to taunt frequently "No scopes on your lever carbine". At age 55, my eyes turned the corner, and now, near 59, a scope is a definite asset. But I still have peeps on several of my short carbines. The problem of course, is getting that front sight in focus.

The front sight I am seeing best, I think, is the XS sight with the white stripe. There may be something about the strip against the serrated blade, I dunno, but the stripe seems to stand out better for me, I think even better than fiber optics....which are also a bit delicate in my limited experience with them.

XS sells those blades in various heights, and two blade thicknesses. Mine mounted in a Ruger dovetail easily. The little Marlin .357 will get one soon.

I am 67, wearing glasses for 40 years, I find iron sights somewhat more challenging-and fun. More "authentic".

I don't have optics on any of my levers. But if I ever do a small 1-4X scope is the way I'll go. A typical 3-9X40 scope is way too much.

I don't have optics on any of my levers. But if I ever do a small 1-4X scope is the way I'll go. A typical 3-9X40 scope is way too much.
I had been using Leupold scout scopes--which at 2x is hardly overkill--in fact I found you could use them much like a red-dot with both eyes open for peripheral vision maximization. Highly recommend them.

Glad you can use the irons to good effect.

This is my "woods 2-gun" combo. The long serving Winchester Trapper, wears an oddly large 40mm scope...and will continue to do so. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I love the irons, but I need the scope for woods hunting as I want to be able to reliably make a high shoulder shot out to 60yds at the end of shooting light, the only way that I can do that...is with the scope.

I have 4 other levers that are open sighted...I just have to pick the times and places that I use them.

IMG_20161030_180039014_zpsfgsz2wjr.jpg

So are the revolver and rifle chambered for the same cartridge?

No, this Trapper is a 30/30...the companion rifle to the Cimarron 44 Special revolver, has iron sights. I shoot the "Skeeter" load in both of them. That revolver is my "go to" revolver for nearly all of my woods tromping, hunting or otherwise.

Back