I have fallen prey to Internet chatter.....Taurus

the first Taurus in the family is the 65 i bought for the Fair Lady
fit,finish,action all top notch
kodachromerightside.png

left.png

I too have had a bad M85 ultra-lite had to ship it back. twice. it's lite because they machine too much off it. I have a 405 . 40 S&W revolver. Seems to be shout enough but accuracy is bad. I don't care for their mono grip design ,nor do I like the new grips they now put on them.

And I guess the only real thing that shys me away from them anymore is the fact that they aren't really that much cheaper (money wise) than other quality gun makers. Rugers SP101 357mag $ 489 vs Taurus Tracker 627 $468 . which one would you buy?

I agree. ALL gun makers have their good days and bad days. Just seems like Taurus has more of the bad days than others. And your wrong about resale value. The dang things go for as much used as they do new. I wouldn't recommend buying one used though because chances are high that someome is trying to unload one that was built on a bad day.

But as previously stated If you got a good gun ,of any make, keep it.

I have 3 Taurus's. Everyone was as good as gold. If I have a new load in 38 or 357 it goes through the 66 first. Then it might go through one of the Colts or the GP100. My truck gun is an 85. My power walking/jogging gun is the PT738. Each and every one of these pistols is as good as anyone would want. Actually I've had more problems with Ruger autoloaders than anything else.

I think Taurus has a huge menu of guns - definitely more models than Glock and Ruger combined. This is a lot of guns to look after, and it works for them, and against them in many different ways. On one hand, Taurus might have a model that is so popular like the 85 revolver, and they are experts at building that particular model, and those guns are coming out the door in brilliant shape. On the other hand, Taurus may come with a newer or different model like the 24/7 auto and they might have a recall, or return, or you know, "whatever the story was with that."

Keep in mind, "smith, springfield, not without their recalls."

So, just like any restaurant with a huge menu, for Taurus they may have so much cooking in the kitchen that sometimes a plate comes out a little cold.

I think this is important to note: There is no gun manufacturer right now, that I am aware of, that is making so many different style and choice and options of double action revolver.

I am genuinely interested in a lot of Taurus revolver products. You can not find those guns elsewhere.

I have another comparison, this time with cars. Remember in the 1990s, Kia's would save you a ton of money over an American or European car, but Kia's were flat out garbage. Fast forward to 2014.. Kia's may save you slightly, over an American or European car, there may be a slight quality issue with some models, then again there may not be, and the overall quality and even cost is no longer that much different.

I can accept the fact, that years back, in 1970s, or the 1980s, or even the 1990s Taurus may have had a reputation for being a cheap gun. If you really wanted a nice gun, you bought Smith or Colt. However, no way this is the case right now. Smith and Wesson quality to cost and expense ratio is easily argued; you can even say that, "folk are just paying for brand name," and Colt is not currently making DA revolvers so we can't even compare.

I'm not big on Taurus semi-automatic weapons, you know.. Its not my thing to have safety's on auto pistols (save for the 1911)... But the guns are ergonomic, well made, and nice shooters. Also.. I realize not all the pistols have safetys, some of the pockets may not have safety's I am not 100% sure.

So, the way I see Taurus? To me its kind of like Kia. You may save a few bucks, lol you may not. You definitely can't buy everything they make, some models totally rock. Modern manufacturing evens quality out a lot.

I'm way interested in Raging Revolvers and the 617? Wow!! Is that a gun! I want to check one out soon.

Edit = Maybe I should get this as my next carry gun. OMG, this thing is totally radical. http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=260&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

I was thinking about an XDS but, ya know.. I'm happy I didn't buy one yet, cause I could totally carry a Taurus Revolver confidently.

Last edited:
The only thing wrong with Taurus/Rossi firearms, for me, is they are not significantly less expensive.

From what I am seeing Smiths are twice the price or more of a Taurus or Rossi. I would say that makes the Taurus or Rossi significantly expensive. Prices may vary in your area, but I see this price difference in my area. If I could find a S&W not more that a couple hundred bucks more than a comparable model Taurus sure I would buy it if it looked like it was in good condition and had not been run over by a tank.

Last edited:
If I had a Taurus that was working well and had provided good service, I wouldn't let the horror stories convince me to sell it.

I have no intention of selling mine, but do have hesitation buying others. That is purely the result of internet chatter. Weak, I know. :o

Baddarryl: You are not alone in feeling this way. I have never had problems with any of my Taurii, yet I am also hesitant to buy another.

Taurus might be a smart choice for those who are expert enough to do a thorough checkout of a gun before buying. Many, maybe most, of the Taurus problems I have seen described have been ones that could have been detected prior to purchase had the buyer known what to look for.

this, and it can be said for charter arms guns too.

From what I am seeing Smiths are twice the price or more of a Taurus or Rossi. I would say that makes the Taurus or Rossi significantly expensive. Prices may vary in your area, but I see this price difference in my area. If I could find a S&W not more that a couple hundred bucks more than a comparable model Taurus sure I would buy it if it looked like it was in good condition and had not been run over by a tank.

And Rugers. I have not bought a "new" S&W but I have acquired a number of lightly used S&W revolvers and pistols at around the same as Tauruses or would it be Taurii on the same tables at gunshows.
Florida seems to have some 'pricing issues' at the gunshows.
:(

I can't seem to find any "lightly used" Smiths in my area. They all look like hammered schtuff. Anything that is not beat up is nearly MSRP. I do however live in a rural area and don't "know my way around" any of the bigger city gun stores so to speak. If I were more familiar with the gun market in DFW area or San Antonio area I might have better luck.

I don't know if the Brand X name has held up like Colt. Really, I see no problem with spending 2k on a custom single action Colt, but omg is a brand X da 357 really worth near a $1,000?

With modern manufacturing, products move constantly toward a place where they are less expensive.

I really disbelieve the brand x revolvers made in 2013, have been worth their asking price.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Taurus bashing was somebody's need to rationalize the cost of paying for brand x.

I'm not saying that brand x is Smith Wesson, I'm saying brand x is brand x and folk can make their own judgment

Never had a Taurus semi auto, but I have bought 2 new Taurus revolvers in the last 4yrs and my experience with them has been such that I have spent the last dime on this brand that I ever will.

The second time was the charm, I have had my bait of them.

BTW, one was for me and the other was a gift.

I think this is important to note: There is no gun manufacturer right now, that I am aware of, that is making so many different style and choice and options of double action revolver.
S&W offers about 111 different models in their DA revolver line. Pages 32-35 of the Taurus 2013 Full Line catalog indicate that they sell about 77 different DA revolver models.

S&W offers about 111 different models in their DA revolver line. Pages 32-35 of the Taurus 2013 Full Line catalog indicate that they sell about 77 different DA revolver models.

Ok, no prob. :-) that is cool. I can accept it. I was mostly, "guest-a-mating." I'm glad you cleared it all up.

Cheers

I wish I had a Turus success story but I don't. The only ones I've owned or know others to own had very bad problems. This included both old revolvers and newer semi-autos. It's too bad because I wouldn't mind trying out one or two of the current ones.

OP, that is a nice looking snubby. I'd keep it.

My brother in law and I both bought 4" stainless .357's.... model 66? at the same time. I think my sis in law still has hers. Mine shot very nicely, single action was great, double action was pretty dang good. I had to move the rear sight all the way over to the left to hit center target, however. I finally noticed the barrel wasn't clocked with the frame correctly. Not a huge deal, but it made sight adjustment a little tedious. I finally ended up trading it off for something else that "spoke" to me... I think the only problem I had was an occasional light primer strike when firing rapid double action. I'm sure it could have been fixed with a Wolf spring. All in all, it was a nice revolver.
I bought my wife a model 85 probably 20 years ago, and we still have it. It is a pure joy to shoot.
I also have a 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP. I've probably put only 500-600 rounds through it so far, but it's been flawless. Nice trigger pull, double strike capability, and accurate. I shot my CHL qualifying course with it, and the only thing that kept me from probably shooting a hundred percent was my inability to focus on the sights well enough for the 25yd targets. It's tough getting old....:rolleyes:
Our son bought his wife a Judge last year, because that's what she asked for. I figured I'd go shoot it just so I could pooh-pooh it on the interweb. After shooting it, I found I had no basis for pooh, much less pooh-pooh. :o It was amazingly easy to shoot, and printed some pretty impressive patterns on a paper target at about 7-10yds.

success stories? I guess those count. Oh, and I don't think there's any way I could qualify as a "newbie" when I bought those guns. I think I'd been heavy into guns for about 15 years or so when I bought the model 66.

My Taurus M605 served well for over 5 years of rough duty carry and high volume pracice. When I damaged it, Taurus fixed it on their dime and in a timely manner.

I had a PT99, then a PT101 for a period of time. Both were accurate and reliable and leave behind a good dose of sellers remorse.

Taurus bashing does have a plus in that it keeps prices reasonable for those who understand the principles at play.

I have 2 Taurus revolvers one is a 9 shot .22lr, the other a 5 shot 44Mag.
No problems with either of them. My Buddy has a PT145 that has never missed a lick.

I had a Beretta Nano, (one of the first series), that I hate. I sent it back to the factory, they replaced a bunch of stuff in it, but I think I lack forgiveness. it is for sale.

I have a Walther P22 that is a jamomatic. It is getting better, but I don't see why a gun has to have a 500 rounds run through it to "break it in".

I think like other companies that manufacture a couple of dozen designs in several locations, there will be lemons.

I honestly would by Tuarus products if it weren't for there QC. Some of there concepts and designs were and are really appealing to me. They feel so good in my hand, yet I know, they Tuarus so they cant be trusted.

My first personally owned Auto was a pt945. With each firing of the gun the base plate of all the magazines would fall off.. This was back before internet in my area* only crap dialup and you couldn't order offline then*

Left a poor taste in my mouth..

I picked up a Taurus PT-145 Millenium Pro a few years ago. I've probably run 500 rounds of 45 acp through that little plastic cheapo pistol. Never had a jam yet and it's very accurate.

Back