I have a Leinad derringer (in .45 Colt/.410 Bore).

I have shot a couple of the side-by-side doubles. They fired every time and shot close enough to the sights at 7 yards. Safety mechanism takes some getting used to and the grip frames can always stand some smoothing out. I wouldn't mind having one of the O/U's since there's usually a 3# coffee can of 45 Colt reloads on hand here.

I think the Schofield round would work fine in them. Of you reload, try the 45 Cowboy Special. It is essentially a 45 Short Colt that uses ACP data.

45cowboyspecial_web.jpg

Photo: American Rifleman 45 Cowboy Special Article

sarge said:
I think the Schofield round would work fine in them. Of you reload, try the 45 Cowboy Special. It is essentially a 45 Short Colt that uses ACP data.
I have some Schofield brass, but I've never heard of .45 Cowboy Special. Does anyone sell that as a commercial (or semi-commercial) product? Is brass available for it, or do you have to make it by trimming down .45 Colt or .45 Schofield cases? I don't recall seeing it on the Starline web site.

I don't see why this is better than just loading .45 Colt using a bulky powder. With the short case, the bullet is going to have a long jump to the throat of the cylinder, which seems to me like an invitation for carbon rings and lead shaving.

I'm giving it a guess based on the name, but I would think the "Cowboy Special" has to be something the SASS/CAS guys cooked up to get faster, shorter, & surer ejection in a SA revolver.

Yes, the article pretty much says the round was created by the cowboy action shooting crowd. The real question is "Why?" And also, does it create as many problems as it purports to solve.

I don't imagine it would cause many problems at the distances and targets involved in CAS. Certainly extraction would be a split hair faster & a lot surer. Bullseye competition would be another matter from a full length .45 Colt cylinder.

Derringers

Relatively short barreled two shot firearms, sometimes referred to as "Derringers", do not benefit much from really long cartridges such as .410 or .45 Colt or Magnum cartridges, better would be short acp cartridges or trimmed down .45 Colt cartridges, to acp length, to take advantage of the rim for reliable simple ejection.

The Derringer chambered for a short cartridge takes full advantage of whatever rifling is available in those shorter barrels.

Back