I hate my 6mm orphan

I'm guessing a 6mm 742 is a short action... 257 Roberts would be a better rebarrel than 7x57 however brass and ammo is just as hard to get as 6mm Rem. Stick with it as is, afterall you shouldn't need very many rounds to do a whole lot of deer killing.

I have a nice 243 sitting in a case and would swap even up for a similar condition 6mm.

"I'm guessing a 6mm 742 is a short action..."

Ain't no "short action" 742's. Cartridge length is accommodated by mag fillers. Most gunsmiths won't even let a 742 in their door, BTW.

Good to know. I guess if the OP doesn't want to reload, then perhaps his best option is to just sell his 6mm and put that money towards some other rifle or find a LGS where he can trade it in.

In my neck of the woods it's getting hard to find a competent gunsmith that doesn't have all the work he wants doing high end jobs for customers wealthier than me. Last year I had a Remington 700 in 30 06 that I wanted to change to 270 Winchester. I bought a factory take off that appeared to be unfired off Gun Broker. I couldn't find anyone in my area of central Texas to swap the barrels. I ended up trading the `06 plus $90.00 for a new Weatherby Vanguard in 270.

What a better deal that was... anybody need a 24" 270 barrel?

I learned the hard way not to have a rifle re-barreled, just to swap cartridge chamberings. It cost me more than trading and waited about 5 months to get the rifle back with the new barrel. If it hadn't had so much history with me, it wouldn't have gotten done, but NEVER again!

As far as the Rem 742 in 6mm. Buy a box of ammo and save it for hunting. That box should last you ten years if you don't shoot it much.

Then, go buy a nice bolt-action to shoot either in .243 Win or .223 Rem. You'll have more accuracy and it will be much easier to clean.

Load for it or trade on a .243 if you like it otherwise. Or...order ammo. Our local wal mart had 6mm on the shelf, even a few years back when .243 was scarce.

Back