I hate my 6mm orphan

puttster

Inactive
Ammo for 6mm Remington is impossible. Well, I did see some on line for $40 a box. Even at that price all you can get is 100 grain. I go to Walmart and Academy and see all that .243 - sometimes a half dozen choices, sometimes ON SALE - well, it makes me hate my Remington 742.

What can I do?

Reloading is the only way. I use a 6.5 jap Type 38 Arisaka and have never seen ammo on anyones shelf for it. But there are many people that sell brass and bullets to make it well worth using.

I use a 87 gr vmax over some IMR 4064 In my bolt gun.
7 of 8 shots were within 6 fps of each other.
Velocity was 3425 accuracy was a hair less than 1/2" at 100 yds for a 5 shot group.
28" barrel.

But you have to load it, you can't buy it. Save your brass, it is made from unicorn tears.
You can recoup some cost back if you don't reload by selling the brass to a reloader as well as helping them out. (I'd be interested in once fired brass)

Last edited:
Not wanting to home reload yourself. And having a semi-auto 742 requires a little more knowledge to build a proper cartridge for its use. Your kinda between a rock & a hard place concerning its ammo. If you can find a home-reloader a smart one that's willing. You supplying the brass. Its possible to cut the store price in half.
Tip: the problem with semi's having a gas port as yours does. Powder choice is paramount in its functioning properly. One can shoot any brand/ type of powder thru a bolt gun. No so with a semi.

BTW: I too own a 742. A carbine model. 06 one.

I just looked at the prices for brass. Too late now but I've left a lot of cash out on the range!
Is the difference such that the chamber could be honed out to accommodate a .243 and get an acceptable result? Or is there some way .243 rounds can be squeezed to fit? An old .243 barrel modified to work in a 742?

You can rechamber a .243 into a 6mm but not conversely. You would have to rebarrel it.

Correct information. The 6mm the angle is not as steep and the neck is longer than the .243. You could ream the .243 to 6mm because there is metal available for the shoulder and neck.

The old 742's ain't all that great. The 6mm round is a good one that deserved better, but I can't see throwing good money after bad. Time to make that old 742 a wall hanger and buy a better rifle.

I went on line as recommended and there are lots more places now that sell 6mm. Maybe there was a shortage when I looked 4-5 years ago. Cheaper than Dirt has them for $28, plus T,S&H. So maybe no need to panic.

Keeping clean is key to 742 accuracy, reliability, and durability

Had a 742 I bought used. All those locking "ribs", looked to skinny to call lugs, showed no wear - unlike most I'd seen for sale. Seller explained that was result of clean/proper lubrication. Having seen so many where "ribs" looked unsafe, I listened to him. Was very accurate, with everything from 110g to 220 g in 30-06. Never could figure how it could fire such a wide variance in load, with never any problem, but it did. I would use some decent 6mm loads and check accuracy and functioning. In a clean and lubed condition. Use 87g , compatible with insufficient Remington twist. The 6mm was/is a better cartridge than .243, but Remingtons twist couldn't stabilize heavier bullets. I loved my 742, but was stolen. Haven't seen a decent used one since, and I am still looking. Pat

Having looked at the usual on line sources.. you can get ammo for $21 - 32 + shipping. As you said you looked 4-5 years ago; remember......ALL ammo was hard to find back then. 22 LR is coming back.. 22 WRM is finally showing up.

Your local gun shop can order anything you want in any quantity you want.
Graf's is showing Hornady, Prvi and Federal in loaded ammo. Hornady and Federal at about $30 per 20. $20.99 for the Prvi.
Midway shows only the Hornady and Federal at roughly $30. Point is that it's being made by regular manufacturers(vs Bubba's House of Bullets), so you can order it through your local guy.
Reloading really is the way to go. Even though BNIB brass is from Hornady only from Graf's or Midway and runs about $40 per 50.

Glad you found some online! I've been keeping my eyes out for it locally recently and have noticed it for $28-$40. Not necessarily common, but going into actual gun shops can yield good results. Never see it at the big box stores with ammo counters.

Back