I got a delay on my background check? What in the heck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a delay on my recent purchase of a shotgun. I don't have anything on my record that would prevent me from purchasing it. I have purchased many firearms with no problems. What is the deal with this?? Please help...

Don't sweat it. There's a random delay in the system as a balance check. Every X amount of checks produces a random delay so they can test their investigators and the system. It should work out fine. Don't worry about it too much. I get delayed all the time and I own a company that is an FFL/SOT.

I use to get delayed quite a bit and have nothing on my record. Seems there's more people with the same name as me and one of them a really close ss number (just switch two numbers). That's one of the reasons I ended up getting my CHL so I can bypass the NICS call.

Keep in mind that a previous clearance investigations can cause a "flag" when the police run your background check...simply because you were investigated. This "flag" means that the police need to manually find out why you were flagged. Once they find out that it was for a clearance investigation, you're good to go. This can delay your background check by as much as one business day.

That's one of the reasons I ended up getting my CHL so I can bypass the NICS call.
I don't see how a state issued concealed license has anything to do with a Federal NICS check.

Fact check on this please... Would be nice, but I haven't heard this anywhere else.

I have heard that in some states, people with a valid carry permit are considered to have already passed the background check. Wish it was that way here.

I have been delayed a couple of times myself. The first time was because a guy with my same first and last name was wanted on warrants and for failure to pay a judgement. The second time just seemed to be a random event. :)

It happens.

Sometimes they have computer issues or people not in the center off sick or what ever.

Recently,these gun check facilities have been hammered by the increase in sales.

I recently had to wait six hours for a sale that used to take about twenty minutes to check out.

If you do get a denial or an obstruction to the sale,I would check and see if someone has stolen your identity and is using it to mess you up with fraudulent credit card sales and the like.

Or your name could be the same as someone on a watchlist somewhere.

We had this happen to a guy I work with,that we tried to get security clearances for, that was about 20 years old and the law computers tagged his name because a 46 year old guy in New Mexico had the same name and was a sex offender.

Otherwise,you already know you are right for the sale and it's just a blip in the system.

I recently had to wait six hours for a sale that used to take about twenty minutes to check out.
My dealer has pretty much had to keep an extra person on the sales floor just to sit on the phone waiting on hold for the NICS check.

My BG check for my Shotgun took about 40 mins. Salesman had to wait on the phone the entire time just to run my SS and such. After they finally got to him all went smooth and quickly. Guess they've been selling a lot of guns lately!

I don't see how a state issued concealed license has anything to do with a Federal NICS check.

Fact check on this please... Would be nice, but I haven't heard this anywhere else.

I dont have documented facts but in Utah the Bureau of Criminal Identification handles the CCW's and when I buy a new gun the clerk calls the BCI to make sure my permit is valid then they send me on my way. The phone call takes less than 1 minute. No background check.

OHdeerhuntingmarine, been applying for, renewing, or upgrading a security clearance lately? Welcome to my world, the world of the security-clearance-holding gun owner. I get delayed if I have a security clearance investigation open and they don't boot the call up to the next level to actually check it out. The NICS operator will just see that there is an open FBI investigation checking you out, and if they don't kick it upstairs, you get delayed. If your state's CCW license exempts you from a NICS check, get it and save yourself a lot of grief.

Yes, some states CCW serves as the NICS checks for future purchases. In some you can pay an extra fee to get that added and it's good for a certain number of years.

I wouldn't sweat the delay. Inconvenient and frustrating but nothing to worry about.

Yes, in Texas (and many other states I believe) your CHL exempts you from the NICS check as you've already had a background check. ;)

In Nevada, a CCW would eliminate the NICS crapola, until last year. Seems the hayseed sheriffs in the northern part of the state couldn't be bothered to run a background check on people before renewing the permits, so the ATF canceled that little benefit for us :mad:

When you guys say "delayed", do you mean it just took longer than normal? Or you were denied and then you tried it again?

I ask because, due to the current economic shenanigans, I had to pawn one of my handguns. Just a quick loan of $50 for gas until payday.:)

Unfortunately, 2 weeks later when I went to retrieve it from pawn I filled out the form, they ran the NICS and after about 30 min they said I was denied!!!:eek::eek:

Like others have stated, I have no record of any kind and the last gun I purchased was a year ago and had no problems (nor with any of the guns I've ever purchased).

The other "weird" thing, I used my driver's license to do the background check. After I was denied, the pawn shop asked if I had any other I.D. and i told them I had a passport, but they stated that you cant use a passport to purchase a firearm!!! This was news to me considering Ive used it in the past. Any idea if something changed in the past year?? (other than the president:p)

Last edited:
"To Delay is not to Deny" basically. When the shop worker called in for the background check, they said that I was delayed. So, I'm assuming they're gonna run a more thorough check or whatever the heck. They didn't say that I couldn't purchase the firearm, it just means I have to wait for a period of time until they finish my background check and OK me. Annoying.

DARREN,

You may want to check that your identity has not been stolen. That could mess that whole thing up. Or get the case number or ID number from your specific check and call the FBI to see what's up.

Yes, in Texas (and many other states I believe) your CHL exempts you from the NICS check as you've already had a background check.

Same here in NC. Present Permit to FFL, they write number down on form (some make a copy, but they don't have to) and you're on your way.

Think about it for a bit. You've been through a background check (including fingerprinting). If you are subsequently arrested and convicted of any disqualifying offense, the first thing they are going to do is take possession of your permit........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back