I got a bull elk!

SAKO2, when we slow a given bullet down, we go faster in the twist to keep it stable. Look at the standard 1-10" in the 30-06 compared to the 1-8" in a 300 Whisper. (300 AAC Black out)
So conversely when you speed a bullet up you need a bit less twist to keep it stable.
Right?

So, keeping in mind that the old 30-40 Krag was twisted 1-10 and shot 220 grain bullets at "only" 2000 FPS, and was very accurate, I am pretty sure your SAKO 1-11 will do fine with 200s.
You will be using 20 grains less weight and driving the bullet about 900 FPS faster.
Should be just fine, Give it a try.
I'd bet you'll like them.

I had contacted Sierra techs, regarding using the 165 SPBT,

that I use for whitetail.
They responded with using the 165HPBT, due to heavier construction and with my velocity would better.

I think the gameking is an excellent deer round (or for other thin skinned animals), but I really do think that a bonded round, at a minimum, is required for elk. Elk are tough.

I'm going to try some different ammo this spring. I need to see how the rifle likes 180 grain rounds, and go from there. I'll keep an eye out for ammo sales, too, because I'm interested in trying the Nosler and Federal Trophy bonded tip rounds.

Give the Nosler AccuBond Bullets a look see. This is the 30 165 gr recovered from the hide of the far side of a bull elk my kid got this year. He was using a 308 pushing the bullet at 2600 fps. It retained 80% of its weight.

IMG_0029.JPG

My favorite elk round is the Hornady 150 IB, for my 270 Win.

At 325 yards, after being hit by the IB this lady only went about 75 yards, but that was rolling down hill into that creek.

Cow%20Elk.JPG

^
^
^
Boy....now THAT's the truth!

Last year I got to drive a truck to my dead elk. That's the 1st time in my LIFE I have ever been able to do that. I have been hunting elk now for 43 years now. I was smiling so hard I may have strained my face.

Most other years they will fall and end up between 2 logs, or head down in a steep sided creek, or at the bottom of what seems like the grand canyon .......but with a lot more dead fall to get over.................

I have a LOT of experience with back packs and carrying heavy weight up hill.

Sure makes me appreciate rabbits.

Yup, I was afraid that my bull would make it back to that big tangled dark timber and wedge himself under some bush or tree, and we'd be walking around at 8 pm trying to find him. It would've been a bad deal if I hadn't connected on that 2nd shot. I need a better flashlight!

By the way, happy thanksgiving!

I have 8lbs of h4831 and imr4831 also have 8lbs 0f accurate 4350 and imr 7828. Was going to get rl17 or imr7977 today but passed on them. Just bought $300 worth of bullets this week. Thanks for the tip Wyo.

Wyosmith I'm having success with the 190gn accubond and imr4831. 70.5gn put 3 shots in 1 hole. will chrono them and check velocity.

That bullet at 2800+ will do ANYTHING you'd want to use a 30 cal for.
I think you'll be happy with that combo.

If you need more, you will need a LOT more. Cape buffalo and Elephant come to mind.

Happy hunting.

Back