I get to buy a new gun! what should I get?

Brando1992

Wife said I could buy a gun for under $400 no strings attached...

It's not like she gets all mad about me getting guns but i am letting her get a nice piece of furniture and in turn she is okay with me getting a gun :)

The pistols I have are a glock 19 a glock 34 and a S&W model 10

Im in a toss up between a glock 22, a ruger lcp custom, a s&w shield, or a canik tp9sa.

I dont have a chance to go rent and try any right now but the only one I havent shot is the canik loved the other 3 for their intended purposes.

Thoughts and suggestions or other wild cards?

For simplicity and familiarity, I would stay with the 9mm caliber and the striker fired mechanism. Since you have medium and large sized handguns, I would suggest going smaller and slimmer for concealed carry. I love my Shield. In the sub-$400 range, consider also the LC9s/LC9sPro and the 709 Slim. For not much more, you could also get the G43 or the PPS.

That's not fair. The furniture is just as much for you as it is for her. You live in the same house - right? :confused:

Go get her a gift and then consider the firearm.

You might end up with a larger budget for the next firearm. :)

I really like my Canik TP9SA and most reviewers do too, if that means anything to you. Some cry about the decocking button but it is really a non-issue. If the decocking button is an issue, wait for the TP9SF to be brought here which doesn't have it.

Glock 42/43 are other good choices, but again, choosing guns is very personal so be happy and confident in your choice. Appearance, weight, reputation, bad press, the way it feels in your hand, caliber, concealment, cost, etc all play a part.

I think I'd just go . . .

I think I'd just go to the LGS and browse until something called to me.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

a very decent used ruger single six 22lr/wmr convertible is under $400. every gun owner "needs" one.

You would probably enjoy a Single Six or Buckmark or Mark III more than you might guess.

The best deals on handguns are generally military surplus, imho. You might be very surprised at what an outstanding handgun you can get for $250-$400 by way of police or military surplus.

Walther_PPS-M2_Feature-Graphic_DEC15.jpg

I'd seriously consider one of these

Either:
S&W Shield to fill the single stack 9mm gap in your collection. It's a good choice for EDC.
Or
A .22lr handgun. Even at $0.10/round it's cheaper to plink with than 9mm. If your wife isn't a shooter, the .22lr is a lot of fun & a great way to introduce a new shooter (thereby getting a future increase in the gun budget).

PS: I'm not much of a revolver guy, but those S&W Model 10's are sweet shooters. I got mine well used, and it's trigger is SMOOOOTH.

I was at a popular local gun store last month. They had a Stoeger Cougar 9mm for $389 , brand new, in the case. I fondled it for a while and I thought it was a very nice gun for the price. If I didn't just buy a Sig 522 rifle the week before, I would have put money on the counter.

I don't know what they go for in your area, but I would look into those if they are within your budget.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/cougar-pistol

Last edited:
Wife said I could buy a gun for under $400 no strings attached...

Ahhhh.

The pistols I have are a glock 19 a glock 34 and a S&W model 10

Got the basics covered.

Im in a toss up between a glock 22, a ruger lcp custom, a s&w shield, or a canik tp9sa.

What's the purpose?

Thoughts and suggestions or other wild cards?

A .38 snubby -- S&W 442/642. Possibly a Taurus 85.

.22 target/plinker -- Ruger 22/45 or Mark 1/2/3.

Single action wheelgun.

A Rock Island GI can be had in your price range.

That's not fair. The furniture is just as much for you as it is for her. You live in the same house - right?
My wife has furniture that isn't meant to be used. That is all in her budget.

I say... Buy a G43. It will be a little over $400, but not much.

The Cougars do seem to be nice. They should be since the Beretta ones were nice before they transferred the model to the Stoeger brand. Does't seem to be many out there to get a good idea of reliability and such though.

You could buy a Walter PPS for roughly $400 right now. Excellent pistol for the money and an excellent ccw pistol.

Everyone needs a 22. My 6th purchase was a Ruger 22/45 Target. It is a very dependable and accurate shooter. My initial investment of $300 was good until it gave me the itch for a real 1911 that cost me an additional $500. I had to get a RIA 1911 tactical in 9mm. They are now my favorite guns and my plastic guns sit in my safe unmolested. The 22/45 feels and shoots like a 1911 but without recoil.

An inexpensive 1911 would be another excellent choice. There are brand-new Filipino ones and Turkish ones in your price range. I used to wonder what the fuss was all about until I plunked down $399 for a basic GI model. Now I have four and they are among my very favorite handguns.

It's not like she gets all mad about me getting guns but i am letting her get a nice piece of furniture and in turn she is okay with me getting a gun

Lord, I hate the barter system.:D

For 4 bills you can get a decent Rock Island 1911 .45, a Ruger Mk III auto, or a nice used Ruger Bearcat, or a nice used Ruger Single Six convertible with both cylinders. I would look into any one of those.

For $449.00 you could get one of the new Browning 1911-22s in a fitted case with a Kabar knife from CDNN, $9.99 shipping. That is one sweet little gun.

My own personal misfortunes x5, however, have taught me to stay away from anything made in Turkey.

As always, YMMV

Last edited:
Back