I feel like I've sinned - lost deer...advice please

game tracker!

I just saved your life.Leave one arrow set up for a game tracker.It's a thin line that is in a spool which screws into your stablizer.The arrowhead screws on with a little clip to hold the loop for the string to attach to the arrow.It will drag the arrow down a little.So aim high!The string may break while your tracking him.But at least you will be in the general area!Look in any sporting store for the (game tracker).That's the brand.Just follow the string,after deer is hit.I only use this during heavy rain.Sorry about your great loss!That sucks:(

Lots of good advice above.
What would I have done differently?
I think you did exactly the right thing; going after the deer right away because of the rain. However, once the deer was jumped up the first time, I would have backed off, marked the spot where it was shot, the spot where it jumped, and the last place I saw it, and given it some time (at least an hour) to lay down and die. This has been learned from experience.

Rules change when the trail gets obscured. I've shot deer at the end of legal hunting light and literally immediately gone to them without a wait, because I couldn't afford to wait until dark. I am a HUGE proponent of the after-shot wait, even if I watch the deer go down in front of me. But tracking at night or in the rain or snow is a riskier proposition.

There is of course the option of splitting the difference. Wait 5 minutes, and then move quickly to the game. Unless it's a HEAVY turd floater of a rain, or a blizzard, your sign won't be too obscured, but the game will likely have gone to ground, or at least have settled down some from the adreneline dump somewhat.

Losing game sucks entirely. A worthwhile option is always to let the shot go if the post-shot followup is not going to be optimal. That's always tough, but every hunter needs to remember that not shooting is always an option. But don't take that as criticism, Scrap-- it's not at all intended as such. It sounds like you made a good effort, and I can't say that I wouln't have taken the same shot, especially given your confidence and the way the shot went in and exited. Sometimes it's just one of those damn things. What looks like a double-lunger will somehow thread the needle and leave a hard-hit deer the means to make it into the next three counties. :(

scrap

All great advise, is there a right answer for every situation, no. sh#* happens. Experience is the best teacher. If you are confident of the shot, I've always found waiting is the best policy, they will lay down and stiffen up, if you are with someone, go back and get them, that usually eats up the better part of an hour, and increases your chances of retrieval. and just to ease your mind a bit, always remember that nothing is wasted in the bush, it will be cleaned up.

Scrap
I know how you feel. just this october during Pa's youth firearms season I did some pushing for my buddy's cousin. i was walking around the edge of a cornfield and heard a shot, I called on the radio and was told dustin shot at a doe. Once I got there they were already on the blood trail so i joined in n the track. I asked dustin where he shot the deer, how it was facing him so on and so forth, hetold me it was facing him broad side and he held just behind the shoulder. I said ok it shouldnt be too far. an hour later i asked the same questions infront of my buddy who was with Dustin when he shot the deer. i then found out the deer was facing him head on when he shot
this explained a little why we were just finding drops of blood to just specks of blood. It was probbaly the same rain storm you were having, lol but it started raining hard and i mean HARD. we tracked taht deer for 3 hours most of thta was done with no blood trail we just set upa grid search and i ended up jumping her and finished her off with my 357. ( i know i know it wasn't legal for me to be carrying a weapon, i retrieved it form the truck after we took a break form the track to get coffee. i do how ever feel that the ends justified the means. the deer ended up just taking the rifle bullet across her right shoulder. and was very capable of running as she showed me that when i jumped her. I'd rather take my chances with the game commission than losing the deer. most WCO's probably would have had an understanding.

Back