I feel it is time to get rid of the Mosin...

No luck from the Gun Show

Mostly overpriced Mosins with somewhat stingy owners. A few good others. Saw some terrible looking enfields and some Mausers of various origin in bad shape. A swiss rifle here and there. A lot of Arisakas, mostly last ditch, but almost all had the mum. The only rifle I saw that I remotely wanted was a M95 Steyr Stützer carbine. 99% bluing, stillbirth cosmo, good stock, the bore looked decent but he wouldn't let me pull a boresnake thru it to see the condition of the bore, so I said no, for $220 it was a good deal, I guess, but not for me. I think I may just stop with my C&R collection for now and focus on 3 gun. I've thought about getting into long range stuff (F-Class or Bench or high power). But I don't know, if something jumps out at me...

The search drives on...

tobnpr said:
Not really sure what it is you're looking for, Mo.

Same here. If you're simply into mil-surp, I can understand. But my impression is that you want to develop into an excellent rifle shooter; if so, forget the mil-surps to do that with and get a good modern commercial rifle with a reputation for value and accuracy (e.g. Savage or Tikka), and chambered in an appropriate cartridge. The image of ol' humble Joe showing up at a match with his nuthin' special mil-surp and whuppin' the regulars is simply romantic fantasy. More to the point, the image of ol' humble Joe getting that good in the first place with only his nuthin' special mil-surp is largely romantic fantasy too.

My advice is to figure out what you want to do, then get the right tool for the job. If it's High Power Service Rifle, get a match-grade AR15 upper, and an A2 lower with a good trigger. Then shoot. Lots.

BTW, F-class & benchrest will be considerably more expensive to get into and stay with. HP SR is, IMO, about the most affordable entry into target rifle competition. Lots of free dry fire practice can take you pretty far as well. If you liked your Appleseed experience, you'll like HP.

A friend gave me a mosin action with barrel about 25 years ago. The end of the barrel was a sewer pipe and I cut off 6 or 8 inches with a hacksaw to see if I could get any rifling deeper within. I hung it in the shed for 20 years just not to throw it out. It was rusted when I got it and it developed quite a patina sitting in that shed.

When the mosin mania started a few years ago, I ordered a surplus stock, cut stock down to barrel length, tied rifle to a tire and fired a couple rounds. I then crowned the barrel, sweated on a front sight from an old mauser and sighted it in so to speak. Bullets hit pointy end first at 50 yards.

Threw it in the trunk of one of my old cars as a travel piece.

What's the point. Mosin actions were never considered anything of value 25 years ago. But neither was a silver coin.

btw it is a westinghouse mosin

Last edited:
I could never get in Mosin Nagant rifles.

R-Guns got a ton in years ago. Was selling them for $75 each. I went in there with the intention of buying 2. Couldn't do it. Too crude looking for me compared to the Enfields and Mauser K98's I grew up with.

The icing on the cake was R-Guns electro penciling their name on each and every receiver.

Ruger American-Marauder?

I saw a Mosin over the weekend that I hope was truely special priced at $700 at Cabela's. It didn't even look good. For that kind of money I would buy something a lot better and possibly newer if we're going for accuracy.

Let alone the $300 price tags i've seen on other Mosins.

Why "get rid of the Mosin",,,

Why "get rid of the Mosin",,,
Does your getting another rifle,,,
Mean you have to dump this one beforehand?

If you don't need to get rid of it,,,
Make a nice rack, oil it up, and hang it on your wall.

Aarond

attachment.php

Last year I converted a Mosin to 300 Win Mag with a new Krieger barrel.
I milled off the back of the recoil lug square.
I made an Aluminum bedding block.
I shot a Mule buck deer with it.

Attachments

• 3x3 mule buck 300WinMag Mosin Nagant 125 gr NBT b10-29-2015.jpg
    3x3 mule buck 300WinMag Mosin Nagant 125 gr NBT b10-29-2015.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 12
[QUOTE
Last year I converted a Mosin to 300 Win Mag with a new Krieger barrel.[/QUOTE]

Customer wants me to build a .500 S&W Magnum....about 4,000 psi over the 54R- and 4,000 under the Win Mag...

You use a truck tire and a long string for the first pull of the trigger? ;)

Seriously though, any testing on the receiver (Rockwell / magnaflux) or roll the dice without?

It is a cased receiver, like most mausers. I really have no use for them, but anything you would stick in a mauser, I would barrel a Russian to also. The lugs are massive on the bolt. The catch is not to remove material by a cased area anywhere near the locking areas. I never heard anything bad about them other than stupid conversions like the 30-06.

Back