I feel it is time to get rid of the Mosin...

Mosin-Marauder

...I just feel like it's taking up space at this point (in both my gun cabinet and my reloading equipment for it). I would like to have something in that caliber, as I really enjoy shooting and loading for it, but I'm just tired of fooling with it, I guess. So I think its just time to sell it. I looked at Finn rifles, and that somewhat interested me, as it's the same caliber and I wouldn't have to fiddle around with it to get it to shoot halfway decent like the 91/30. I also considered another 91/30, but I'm not sure on both accounts. A Vepr would be nice, but I can't seem to find any. Basically just looking for a rifle in the 54R caliber that's good in terms of accuracy. Thoughts? Opinions? Reccommendations?

They vary widely, Mo.
You had the misfortune of starting out with a bad one.

The Finns are, in good shape, a better proposition if you can find one you can afford.

Denis

I have a couple of cans of surplus but don't shoot mine anymore. It is no fun to shoot in comparison to my other guns. It is just a collection piece.

I have two 91/30 will never sell them they are just to cool to have around. I was not happy with the original sights so I went with the mojo sights could not be happier , I too was pissed about the accuracy but I decided to try the mojo's
If you decide to call them call them around 5 a.m. in the morning they are a home based business ranchers or farmers and just the nicest people and for a hundred bucks made a believer out of me , I was ready to throw my mosins in the dumpster and now you could not pry them from me because I know they will deliver , mojo is all you will need to get the rifle you wanted
Good luck my Friend

They vary widely, Mo.
You had the misfortune of starting out with a bad one.

The Finns are, in good shape, a better proposition if you can find one you can afford.

I feel very drawn to buying one from Classic Firearms, they're $350 without hand select. I might look around locally and see if there are any (I doubt it but you never know). If not I might place an order for one of their VKT's.

I'm thinking about selling my 91/30 '43 Izzy. It was the first gun I bought to practice gunsmithing techniques on (I did some pretty terrible things to it before I knew what I was doing :D) and I felt some sentimental attachment to it for a while, but I never shoot it and it doesn't even fit in my gun cabinet. I could use the money for other gun things. I do want a Finnish model some day but that's really low on the priority list. Happens sometimes.

I have an SVT 40 Tokarev, and while I've never benched it, I have made 1st round 150yd hits on 2l pop bottles, is that accurate enough??

I'll just let you in on my initial observations of the M39.
there is no noticable difference at this time.

granted, I'm still in the process of cleaning all the cosmoline out of it and then I'll need a trip to the range but right now, aside from the fact that it's a hex receiver, there's fewer tooling marks, and the stocks a bit more ergonomic, I am having a hard time believing that it's that much superior to the M91/30.

I really am bummed that there are not as many x54 offerings out there as there could be, x54R would make an awesome Contender or Ruger #1 build, and I can't help but think a lever gun would be awesome once a person figured out the mag.

Winchester used to make a lever gun chambered in that round. I saw re-pros at a show about 15 years ago, but they were pricey. I am not sure of the manufacturer, it was a while ago. Most manufacturers figured out a long time ago that rimmed cartridges were a thing of the past.

7.62X54 just isn't popular enough anymore to justify new rifles chambered in it. If you must have an accurate rifle chambered in it, it might be time to send your Mosin to tobnpr. I'm not for spending my money on a Mosin, but I'm not the one wanting a rifle in the cartridge either.

If you go the tobnpr route with your rifle you have a couple choices. Go full custom by changing out the stock, barrel, bolt handle, and adding optics. I'm sure he does work to the action as well in a full blown blue print. Your other option is just to replace the barrel duplicating the original barrel and install the sights back on it. Either way it'll a fairly expensive choice when you can pick up an accurate .30-06/.308 for less money.

If you decide to sell your Mosin I get completely away from the cartridge all together. There are just far more cheaper options for accurate reliable rifles in something chambered in .308. Plus the Mosin has lost the appeal of being a rifle for less than $150 with ammunition at less than $0.25 a round.

Why are you stuck on that particular caliber?
Do you have a lot of cases and bullets for it?
If not, just abandon it for something more agreeable.

I don't have much associated with it actually. A set of dies. 2 boxes of bullets. A good bit of surplus, and 50 pieces of brass. What do you recommend for a change in caliber?

I sold mine about 3 weeks ago. I wasn't shooting it, it's not particularly collectible, and it wasn't accurate by any measure. Plus the darned bolt stuck out and the neighboring guns in the safe were complaining.:D

I'm in a paring back mode; Collectors arms will stay and the guns I shoot regularly will stay. Revolvers will mostly stay. Polymer/cheap/inaccurate will go. In general terms.

I got rid of mine too. The accuracy was poor, so I took a look with the borescope. - The bore looked like sewer pipe, currently in use.

Of the four Mosins I currently own, the worst bore is the most accurate.
With irons it's beat the scoped sniper. :)

Never know, always a gamble.
Denis

"...time to get rid of the Mosin..." You seem confused. It may be time to add another rifle to the Mosin, but not to get rid of anything. Geez!
The Finn rifles are the same thing, just made a bit better.
Question what do you want the thing for? Target shooting or hunting? Or both? You want another milsurp? Or a boring old commercial hunting rifle?
.303 British in a No. 4 Mk I* Lee-Enfield would let you use the 2 boxes of bullets and the shell holder. Mind you, there are some possible issues with Lee-Enfields not seen with other milsurps. You won't get a rifle for anywhere near the money you paid for the Mosin either.
"...Winchester used to make..." Model 1895. Run roughly $1500ish to about 2 grand US. 293,816 of 'em made for the Tsar in 1915 and 1916. Don't think there are any currently being repro'd.

I sold all five of mine except my M39 Finn in the past couple months. I'll probably sell that one once the glut goes down from the recent collector divestment from Classic Firearms to maximize my profits.

I just do not enjoy shooting them, and I am not a collector. The Mosin collecting "community" will more or less shun you unless you have dozens of "rare" examples of these rifles and are able to post the best pictures and put them on the internet for all your other geeky "friends" to see how much money you spent.

I quickly realized that was not what I wanted to do with my money or time, and the balky rough action with a short bolt handle and a steel buttplate with iron sights... man it just wasn't fun to shoot anymore. I put THOUSANDS of rounds through them when I was a teenager, mostly just blasting at stuff in the creek back home when ammo was very cheap, but now, I've moved on to better things that I actually enjoy taking to the range. All that cheap ammo is now gone as well, and people that don't reload can buy .308 Win for less money than 7.62x54mmR.

I had absolutely no use for a bunch of clunky oversized and overweight crude 19th century battle rifles taking up a ton of room in my safe. I have made a handsome profit on the guns as well, I sold all of them for more money than I originally bought them for and have used the cash to get a few different and very sweet shooters.

JMHO.

YMMV.

Back