I fall in love with cowboy guns

Wait until you start learning about cap and ball. then your going into a whole new world of shooting. i havent shot a centerfire or rimfire in about a month now. just cap and ball.

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

uuuu.jpg

DSC03609.jpg

Nice guns Scrat but bp is fun to shoot out of cartridges too, specially in the old calibers. Those bottlenecks don't get a lot of residue in rifle actions either. I leave a fired cartridge in my 92's chamber and clean the bore. Hold the rifle upside down and eject the cartridge with the fouling inside it. The case mouth on those are thin and expand to make a really good seal so next to nothing gets in the action. All I do for it is spray it out real good with WD-40 and let it drain/dry then spray some RemOil in it.

yourotherleft, that's something you might want to consider before you buy a rifle. Are you going to shoot bp out of it? If so you might want to stay with 44-40 or 38-40 for ease of cleaning. The straight cases(.45,357,etc) get a lot of blowby past the case and into the action. Of course the old calibers are pretty much a reload proposition only unless you're rich or don't plan to shoot much. I think a box of 44-40 is around 35.00 per 50. I reload for mine.

ouch thats a lot of money. Lever action well thats where i started out at. i figure as long as i have my trusty 30-30 then i will be ok. i also have an old ithacha lever action too. I loaded up a cartridge of black powder for my 30-30 once. Ya i know 30-30 was neve made for black powder. It did pretty good though. Mild recoil lot of smoke. Only problem is i was shooting at steel targets that day. If you missed the target you had no idea where it went unless someone told you. As the smoke was pretty big, compared to trail boss the recoil is about the same. However i believe i will stick with trail boss for cowboy action loads. If i miss the target i can see where it hit the dirt at least

feedaddictlever101.jpg

Thanks scrat...you're not helping my headache at all :)

I don't think I'll be shooting bp right now... not sure in the future though:)
If that's the case will staight cases be ok? I heard that in pump lightning rifle, 44-40 (compare to 45Colt ) will feed better into the chamber due to bottleneck. Have anyone experience this? If so, does this problem exist in lever 1873 and 1892 as well?

To me, it's more like staying original (44wcf) vs convinience (45colt). Keeping the same caliber for rifles and pistols will surely save some headaches. But is it common for some cowboys to shoot 45 in pistols, 44wcf in rifles?

I will not be shooting a lot though... maybe twice a month. That's not much isn't it?

I've never handled a pump action rifle but enough people use them in .45 they must be fairly reliable. Same with .45 levers. I really don't think the bottlenecks feed any more reliably than straight cases. Yes some folks do use .45 pistols and 44-40 rifles. In the old days they had no choice as the rifles were never chambered for .45's. You'll shoot maybe 100-120 rifle/pistol rounds per match and a box of shotgun shells depending on how many stages the match runs.

Back