I can't count to six

Just exactly what do you plan to do?

For a self defense scenario, learn to shoot well enough to settle your problem in six rounds or less. How many villians do you think will attack? If you're home, use your handgun to get to your rifle or shotgun...

Hunting? How many deer on your tag, anyhow?

Target shooting? Okay, mebbe the IPSC bunch will giggle at you.

Not trying to make you feel foolish, but this is a pretty non-existant problem.

You can do what must be done with what you got!

Don't know about that. I can think of at least two real life shootings on tape I've seen where people went chasing after bad guy or vice versa with an empty revolver in hand.

Of course I also doubt most people would be counting there shots in a real life situation regardless of how much they practice it at the range. I rarely if ever heard a "click" from my 640 I was so used to shooting it. Went on the FATS machien and "fired" 6-8 shots in several scenarios. Of course maybe I'm just a boob :)

Regards, Blueduck

During practice I deliberately avoid counting the shots. With luck I'll not notice that I just shot #6 and get a good "flinch check".:)

Tamara, AMEN!

The Phantom Seventh Round has helped me evaluate my flinch and actually reduce it quite a bit.

BTW, are you still holding down a "daylight" job in a gun shop? I'm looking for something to fill the empty hours of my days (hah) and earn some cash to support my lead habit... I wonder if that might be a good career move for me...

-J.

Don't fret about it Dave. Old cops have a slight edge over you but only slight, mind you. You see, in the revolver days, we could all count to six and no one tried to shoot that nonexistent seventh round. When the semiautos came in, we forgot how to count altogether. Guess they never taught that past first grade.

Just to update everyone, I've been practicing with my SIG P239 and seem to be able to count to 8 without much trouble. Of course I can see the slide locked back, but now I expect it. :D

I think being new to firearms, my lack of both practice and confidence were more of a factor than my counting ability. Or maybe it's just something about the number 6?

Dave,I think we all did that, or do that still. One thing that I learned when we were trained, and works for me is, after you fire two shots, count. An example fire two shots, count "one, two", fire four shots, say "three, four," And after six shots, say "five, six." When I went through law enforcement training years ago, a range master told me that. It's always worked for me, like I said.:)

I solved the problem. I now have problems with counting to 7 or 8--686+ seven-shot and 627 8-shot. Actually I am pretty used to counting to 8 as the 627 is my competition gun, but having only 7 in the 686+ will surprise me from time to time.

I COUNT 'HI-CAP'

I use wheels and autos both for IPSC, so I don't even try to count. I practice reloads....

44 Redhawk/357 GP100 = 6

45ACP 1911 = 9 ('cause I dislike the look of 10-rounders, plus I carry 8's)

all (well, most all) others = more. Sometimes lots more. Like 20.

Seriously, I believe that in actual combat (that's what it is) counting will be the LAST thing on your (my) mind. Screaming, running, etc. will be of higher priority.

I think I'll be aiming.....

Do as you train; I train "sight alignment trigger control".

I know what you're thinkin'. You're thinkin 'did he shoot 5 shots, or six?' Well, do ya feel lucky, punk?

Sorry, someone had to. :D

Shoot more. Take a revolver to an IPSC match--you'll learn to count to six eventually, and have fun at the same time. I use IPSC and not IDPA, because IDPA arrays are typically revolver neutral and ther'll be no temptation to go for seven and eight.

Now if I could ljust stop reloading my single stack every six rounds...

Steve

Back