I can take my gun to DC when traveling right?

bubbaturbo

So when I visit Washington DC now, I can take my gun with me to the hotel right? It's no longer illegal and their rules on registration don't apply if I'm not a resident.

When are you going there?

I don't think anything has changed yet.

The D.C. is probably going to wait until a judge forces an injuction agsint the city, and only then will they actually allow guns.

And I think they only want to allow revolvers, so I can see this going back to court really quick.

I agree, its going to take a while for the dust to settle on this one. The fact that they are banning semi-autos I'm sure will go back to court. A semi auto is after all "a type of gun commonly used for self defense." I smell Heller vs DC II.

I would avoid taking a gun to DC until they actually have procedures and policies in place.

I understand what you are saying but if I did, what law would I be breaking? The handgun prohibition is already null and void right now and federal law says I can transport from anyplace legal to own to anyplace legal to own. I don't think you can go to jail for violating a policy or procedure.

The handgun prohibition is already null and void right now
What was declared null and void was that 1) DC would not issue Heller (or most anyone else) a license and 2) that they required all guns in the home to be disassembled or locked. They did NOT declare null and void the requirement in DC for a license which you do not have.

Yes, they can lock you up for that.

Leave your gun at home or don't go.

Last edited:
Are you sure you want to be the test case for new case law? Have a lawyer ready. Remember, what is lawful under the constitution and what the law is at the time are two different things. Second, not to bash cops or civil servants, but never underestimate the stupidity of people. I know some smart cops but I've also met some dumb ones too. I've also met some who are power crazy and will go nuts over the smallest infraction.

The last two times I went to D.C. it was a lot easier to

stay across the river in VA than to even look for a hotel or motel inside the city. Then just take the shuttle from the motel to the Metro and go under the river. I have to say, except for the short walk from the metro to the gates... when I was working... is one of the few times since packing that I really felt okay and better NOT PACKING. There were enough guns around that if a bad thing happened I was going to be making a new hole in the floor anyway... and if it got really bad... in the words of Sam Elliot, "when I need one there will be plenty available"...

In and around The Mall there are folks up on the roofs... I don't think I would want them to mistake me for a target... those customised 700 mags will reach out and touch you butt good.

rooftop.jpg

federal law says I can transport from anyplace legal to own to anyplace legal to own.

Yes, but only so long as the firearm is transported unloaded, in a locked container, separate from the ammunition, in the trunk of your car or in a location unreachable from the occupied seats if the vehicle doesn't have a trunk, and so long as no unnecessary stops are made in between the start and end points where it's legal for you to possess the firearm.

Your scenario fails on several points, starting with your overnight stay in the District.

Do you want to be a test case for the scope of the Federal Peaceable Journey Statue? :D

Stay across the river in Arlington, VA. Call ahead to see if the Hotel will lock your firearms up in their safe while you visit D.C.

Rent a car and visit the NRA HQ range and National Firearms Museum while you're here.

Instead of asking on a forum, why not call officials in the area you have questions about so you can get accurate information. You may on a forum or you may not, but you're the one legally responsible.

Instead of asking on a forum, why not call officials in the area you have questions about so you can get accurate information.
If you ask those kind of questions of a big city police department, the answer you get will always be "No!", no matter what the law actually is.

I've heard quite a few whoppers about the law from police officers -- most are well meaning, but they simply aren't lawyers and are often unfamiliar with firearms law.

Absolutely, M1911,

The Metropolitan Police Chief, Cathy Lanier, along with the mayor and the acting attorney general, have already said publicly and repeatedly that, Heller or no Heller, they will do everything in their power to continue "making the District safe." :barf:

The recent proposed revisions to the District's law, co-sponsored by every single member of the city council, would ban auto-loading pistols, and still contains language requiring a trigger lock or other securing device. These upstanding public servants argued at a hearing last week (with straight faces, apparently) that a trigger lock would not prevent a firearm from being readily accessible for self defense inside the home. Proof? Well, they said smugly, anti-gun attorney (and former Clinton Administration Solicitor-General) Walter Dellinger had demonstrated he could remove a trigger lock "within a few seconds." The city council deferred action on the proposal, while interim regulations, drafted by these same rabidly anti-gun officials, are being circulated.

This isn't really addressed to bubbaturbo, who has already said twice he is abandoning his original idea. But for anyone else considering this, unless you're prepared to Rosa Parks it, with money and a panoply of lawyers and 2nd Amendment activists to back you up, do not even consider bringing an unlicensed handgun with you to DC.

Stay in Arlington or Fairfax, Virginia, which are nominally still part of America. Take the Metro into occupied territory. Enjoy your visit.

Bob James

These upstanding public servants argued at a hearing last week (with straight faces, apparently) that a trigger lock would not prevent a firearm from being readily accessible for self defense inside the home. Proof? Well, they said smugly, anti-gun attorney (and former Clinton Administration Solicitor-General) Walter Dellinger had demonstrated he could remove a trigger lock "within a few seconds."

That's funny. Because when Dellinger argued this in front of the Supreme Court they mocked him and laughed at him.

I smell Heller vs DC II.

see this is what confuses me so much. Mayor Adrian Fenty and Police chief Lanier lost so badly in Heller v DC round 1 that I can't believe that they'll be back for more. Aren't Schumer or Boxer or Feinstein or Brady speeddialing Fenty and saying, "dude, you already lost. We can probably figure out which way the Supreme Court is going to vote. We let you appeal last time, and look what happened! Give up before we lose even more ground."

see this is what confuses me so much. Mayor Adrian Fenty and Police chief Lanier lost so badly in Heller v DC round 1 that I can't believe that they'll be back for more.

I think Mayor Fenty and Police Chief Lanier are testing to see how far they can go with the boundries and regulations regarding handguns in DC. I think banning semi-autos is was already decided in Heller (they are a common type of gun used for self defense after all) if not actually written in the courts decision.

This is a simple test of how much control DC can still place on its gun owners. Sooner or later, this will be the second battle ground for gun control.

Back