I apologize........red dots

Joe-ker

Can someone explain the difference, advantages between a micro style vs the larger, besides the size obviously?

I assume the large ones are probably tougher? Like the PA for batt life otherwise vortex would be getting a good look too....I'm not looking to break the bank so their prices appeal to me.

Looking hard at the PA advanced micro and the PA advanced 30mm

I've been using red dot sights for over twenty-five years and I've owned dozens of them. I used them on most of my competition handguns and all my hunting handguns now days. There is no difference in quality and life span. The good ones last and the cheap ones don't. The mini (reflex) redots work great, but they are a bit harder to find the dot with if you're in a hurry and don't shoot them a lot. The tin can style are a lot easier to find the dot in, it's like looking through....well, a tin can open on both ends. The mini sights don't have a lot of adjustments or reticle options. Some of the tin can sights offer different reticles, different size dots, and a large selection of brightness settings. The quality ones in either style can come with a lifetime guarantee and the companies don't have any caliber restrictions. They will tell you right on the phone that you can put them on ANY caliber of rifle or handgun and they are guaranteed to last. And, in fact they do last. I've put both styles on 44mags handguns and 45-70 rifles and they held up just fine. Now days batteries last a very long time in them. I often get two seasons of target and hunting out of a battery. Carrying a spare is really easy, they're very small and easy to change in either style sight. If you haven't used one before, I'd suggest the tin can style. For my hunting purposes they seem to work out the best. You can put see through lens covers on most of them. The small mini sights don't have good lens covers. At best you get a little "hood" that can come off quite easily when carrying it around. I've used both in steel plate shooting (which I was very good at) and to be honest, they worked equally well. The smaller ones seem to have a "cool" factor that actually didn't translate into being better. Hope some of this helped.

Can someone explain the difference, advantages between a micro style vs the larger, besides the size obviously?

That's the gist of it.

The larger-sized options weigh more, but also have a wider field of view that some prefer. Among the high-quality options, both are robust and can have good battery life.

Also, among higher-quality red dots, the full-size Aimpoint PRO represents a very good value proposition, but most of the higher-quality micro red dots cost considerably more.

There are plenty of red dot optic options out there that anyone can afford. There are also more expensive models.

I would take into consideration things like a manufacturers warranty, along with battery life, and durability. And don't discount other factors such as what kind of reticle can you choose from. The dot is good, it will get you on target, but it may not always be precise. Look for chevron reticles if you can. That's my personal favorite.

I am now leaning towards a Holosun micro. HS503GU.

I like that it has

option to turn on 65moa circle.
Auto on and off
Comes with low and 1/3 mount.

Size doesn't have an effect on durability, except that a larger one might be easier to bang into something. I'm not crazy about the minis, just from a perspective of target acquisition. The 30mm models work well for me. I like a 2 MOA dot. I have two Vortex Sparc that have been good and economical. I've tried two Sightmark reflex sights and they were very poor. I had a Burris red dot on a 44 Mag revolver and ended up taking it off. I could shoot better groups with the open sights. I'm not the kind of guy who would spend $1000 - $1500 for an optic.

Aim small, miss small.

The smaller dot also for better situational awareness. You want the dot just bright enough to see.

Not to mention if you settle for big ass dots that's what they'll sale and we will have to pay more for proper sized and/or adjustable sized dots. That whole supply and demand thing. What I really appreciate though is the ability to change the size of the dot.

The mini/micro red dots are generally lighter and less bulky. Their smaller window is sometimes an issue on handguns, but not usually a problem on rifles. (Misalignment causing the dot to not be visible in the window is reduced in long guns because it is easier to get consistent eye placement with a cheek weld.)

The small red dots are great. Light weight, adjustable brightness, good for wing shooting and point and shoot rifles. Like any optic, you can put cheap ones on, but you'll only end up replacing them when they break. I like the Burris Fastfire II, but there are lots of them from just about any optics maker.

I think some folks are talking about the physical size of the optic while others are talking about the size of the reticle dot.

I have found most civilian reticle dots to be too large.

I have found most civilian reticle dots to be too large.

Ok, I’ll bite

What dot size does the Mil have that is not avail to civilians?

Aimpoint T1&T2’s 2moa are civilian avail
Eo-tech offers its circle/dot 65moa/1moa to civilians
Trijicon ACOG’s and RMR’s are avail with a variety of reticle sizes

So, what civilian reticle are you talking about?

Ok, I’ll bite

Well, you are a Shark, right? Is that one of any of several sluggish bottom-dwelling sharks especially of the family Hexanchidae or another species? :)

I actually did not know off hand the exact size as I only really noticed when I checked out some civilian sights.

The SOPMOD kits had 4.3 MOA on the reflex and 1 MOA on the Aimpoints, IIRC. Not exactly sure though, like I said...I just used them. ;)

Last edited:
I actually did not know off hand the exact size as I only really noticed when I checked out some civilian sights.

Im going to ignore your silly Shark comments

Here is yet another example of the U.S. cilivian population having access to more and BETTER choices then the Military. I can get online right now and have shipped overnight any dot size i want.

Need a nice crisp 2moa Aimpoint T2 for a Rifle...order one
Need a 9 moa dot or a 12.5moa triangle for a pistol...order one. Need to split the diff? How about a 6.5 moa dot?

The fact you looked at a buddies (and the choice he made) does not equal the Mil having better options. Short sighted (pun intended) on your part to assume that.

I can get online right now and have shipped overnight any dot size i want.

Mmmmm...you could order them in 1989 when we were testing what we wanted for the trijicons, LOL? They did not offer them in the sizes we ended up with.

I don't remember them being so popular in the civilian world back then....

In other threads you have implied that you were some kind of high speed door kicking spec-ops dude in Afghanistan/Iraq.

Now, you claim to have been in on the testing of Trijicon optics in 1989. That was 30 years ago. Somehow the math doesnt add up

Im out....

in 1989 when we were testing what we wanted for the trijicons,

In other threads you have implied that you were some kind of high speed door kicking spec-ops dude in Afghanistan/Iraq.

Now, you claim to have been in on the testing of Trijicon optics in 1989. That was 30 years ago. Somehow the math doesnt add up

The math doesn't add up because obviously, you cannot add.

I did it (Joke about your Biting Sharks deleted). ;)

It is 26 1/2 year of service..... 28 1/2 from the time I retired in 2012.

Joined Sept 1986 and retired Dec 2012 with a 2 year Break in Service in the middle.

5.5 years 1/75 and then went to selection....

I have no claims to being a hero or anything else or doing anything outside of my JOB.

You just seem to have a conniption when disagreed with.

Last edited:
That being the context of the conversation.

The context of red dot optics where you stated

Here is yet another example of the U.S. cilivian population having access to more and BETTER choices then the Military.

And I just pointed out that factually, certain red dot sight technology was not available to any civilian market until some 13 years after its use by certain elements of the military. That is about an average timespan or at least is what I have encountered in the few pieces of technology I have seen in the military until the time it hits civilian shelves.

Just sayin you failed your fact check in the context of the thread.

Back