I am not a rifle guy.... Mosin Nagant Question...

I am more hand gun and survivalist. My local Fleet Farm sells the Mosin for about $89. You get the bayonet and a kit with it.

Hard to pass up for the price. The shorter Mosins are about double the price

this gun is long in my mind. Can I alter it? I can see the value of a rifle, but wonder how far I really need to shoot. I could buy something else, but like I said.... $89.

My local gun range will allow it if I use brass jacket.

Can I cut the barrel shorter? Any mods you guys have done?
I keep going back to $89. I don't need one but maybe I should have one. I did see one shoot and really liked the fireball.

Unless you have the tools and equipment to cut, square, re-crown the bbl properly yourself- it would be cheaper and better in the long run to just go ahead and get the shorter rifle. The longer Mosin really isn't all that un-handy, but I unnerstand folks want for a shorter one.

If you were to cut it short, do you have an idea of what to do for sights or bending/modifying the bolt handle and installing a scope mount?

Why would you want a shorter MN rifle?
With a long one you can shoot interstate and if you add a bayonet you can even stab interstate.... 8-). Add a fishing line and a hook and you get a fishing pole....

K.

I like the "as issued" Mosins, but again I shoot CMP GSM Vintage Military Rifle Matches.

Get a good barrel and those suckers are pretty accurate.

For the price, simply check out the bore and make sure its "good'nuff" and keep it as is unless you have to change something, but that's just me. The price to firepower ratio cannot be beat, at least as far as I know of.

For the price, I'd buy it and be happy. If I wanted a shorter version, I'd buy that one and forget the cost difference. If you attempted to cut it shorter you'd end up spending more money converting it than you would have just buying the shorter one.

What models are we talking?

I'm assuming the long rifle is the 91-30. Its common and that's a fair price for it. You can get them a bit cheaper online, but with shippings and checks, you'll lose out. Plus nothing beats hand-picking one of good quality; you never know what you'll get.

What model is the shorter one? The M44 carbine w/ attached folding bayonette? or the M38 w/ detached bayonette? Both varieties have pretty much dried up, driving their prices up. I have the M44, but have no use for a bayonette, so would favor the M38. Too bad those dried up first, before I had my C&R and was smart enough to snag one...

One thing to consider, any of the M-Ns are heavy and kick like a mule. The shorter rifles are a bit handier, but hit a little harder (you, not the target) too. I'd suggest a recoil pad on them; makes them more comfortable to hold and tames that kick a bit.

yeah it's long but it's $89. you can get that back out of it if you change your mind. but you probably won't. some rifles can't hit the side of a barn, a mosin can hit the farm from 2 counties over.:D

Last edited:
it would be more cost effective to buy the carbine rather than properly cut the barrel down on the full size. I know the carbine is twice as much so doesnt sound like a good deal, however, 180 bucks for a rifle that is as powerful as an '06, will last forever, costs very little to shoot and has a wonderful and colorful history..How does it get ANY better than that?

I also suggest you get the long one, if initial price is a factor. (it usually is with me)
Pick out a good one, then just take it out and shoot it. You might find that you like the longer one for added weight (less recoil), longer sight radius.. who knows?
After you shoot it a while, if you still don't like the length, you can certainly cut the barrel off to whatever length you like. It's easier to do a professional looking job if you have access to a lathe, but it's certainly not necessary. If you are even a little bit "handy", you can square the face and recrown yourself, with a minimum of hand tools. It's not rocket science.
The most difficult part would be putting a front sight back on it. Brownells sells sights that are a barrel band type that you sweat solder on the barrel, and I believe they come in several different sizes. (to match barrel diameters)
Personally, I have the M44, and it's been a good shooter. It does kick, though. I plan to buy one of the cheap recoil pads on fleabay for about 10 bucks to see if that makes it better. If not, I will reshape the stock and install a pad myself. It's just not high on my priority list right now. \
Good luck with whatever you decide... post a full report, with pics!

Well, I would say go with the "long one". The "long one", or also known as the 91/30, is much more accurate compared to the shorter m44. The 91/30 also has less recoil. What ever you chose, I wouldn't recommend cutting the barrel. Want a synthetic stock? Okay, but no matter what the price is, you never want to destroy a classic rifle. Also see what the date is on the rifle. Most 91/30s were made in 1943 and 1944 by Izhvesk and Tula. If you get one that was made before 1940, then it is probably of better quality and a little more valuable. Mosin Nagants are very historical and have been on battlefields for 120 years now. They are defiantly worth $89.

I hacked the stock up into a sporter stock on one and it turned out good. What happened to all the m44's and m38's? Those ones already have the short barrel but all you see on the market now is the looooooong one the 91 something or other...

Is this a great board or what????

Yeah, it is the 91 30. The shorter barrels are double the price. I was just thinking for $89 what the heck! If I mess it up no big deal. They only give you 3 tries per day to find the one you want. They have them in the back and everyone wants a really old collector year.

If I got really lucky and got an old one I would not hack it. I think I agree with the advice you guys gave me. What the heck, why mess with it. I just don't think I will need something to be accurate that far out.

Nice to have one tho.... Plus the fireball is cool. I'm gonna go for it and keep it stock. Well, maybe refinish the wood and tweak just a bit.

Way too hilarious

From Kadima - Why would you want a shorter MN rifle?
With a long one you can shoot interstate and if you add a bayonet you can even stab interstate.... 8-). Add a fishing line and a hook and you get a fishing pole....

Anyway I got my short M38 Mosin Nagant 10 years ago for $90 with tax/DROS at BIG5 and got a Finn M39 last year. They are both handy and for $89 you don't think about it - its a tool that you can toss in the truck and not worry about it.

The short ones are handy powerful little carbines. I find that useful. So I preffer the shorter ones but that's just my opinion. I did get a bad m38 once and that was a bummer but it only cost me $100. So no huge loss. As far as modifying yours, I say go for it. There are millions upon millions of these things and your'e not going to hurt history if you chop a few up. ;)

The rifles are so inexpensive that you can have both styles, get good quality rifles and still not spend $250.

I have a M44 that is rode hard and the stock is so gouged and dinged that it looks really bad. I was going to restock it but last night I thought: "Why not fill all the dings and gouges and paint it black? " AHHHH instant black rifle to upset the Libtards for the price of a can of paint and some epoxy. I have $50 in the rifle and that's all I'm going to do to make it look good.

Flash

Back