I Am New To Concealed Carry Got 1 Question

The concealed gun sure is a big responsibility...I also volunteer in a bad area, my instructor, tho, told me a great bit of advice.....

"If you use that gun, you WILL be arrested, possibly lose the gun, possibly be sued by the family and lose your house, certainly live with the memory of having hurt or killed another human....so you pull that gun when none of that matters..."

So yes, I carry, I practice, am ready to use it....but I'm going to walk away, cross the street, do anything to avoid having to....

What a great first post. I like that quote your instructor said. Good advice all over this thread.

Practice…

Then practice some more…

Draw from concealment, target acquisition, rapid sight alignment, both hands, strong hand only, weak hand only, malfunction clearing, reloading “hot or cold” firearm, drills - double tap, double tap followed by head shot, multiple targets, differing distances, moving targets, you moving backward, lateral and forward, use of cover, low light situations, room clearing, shoot in IDPA competition, additional training, etc., etc.

If you practice, as much as you should, you may need to think about reloading, since it appears you don’t have some “department” which will furnish you with practice rounds.

Not to be a salesman, but...

...and LOTS of practice under simulated stress...

You may try out pistol competition such as IDPA. It mainly focuses on "practical defensive" scenarios, such as drawing from concealment and engaging "enemies." Even though it is competition, it puts the shooter under stress. Also, it's likely that there is a chapter relatively close to you as it is an international association.

From the IDPA website: "The International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) is the governing body of a shooting sport that simulates self-defense scenarios and real life encounters. It was founded in 1996 as a response to the desires of shooters worldwide. The organization now boasts membership of more than 17,008, including members in 50 foreign countries."

http://www.idpa.com/

As other people mentioned, I'd also recommend reading Massad Ayoob's book. I'm not aware if it has been released as an ebook, but check out sites like amazon.

Best,

Ambishot

Walk away from anything that could lead to an altercation. Retreat. Be timid until you have absolutely no choice.

Accept insults. Ignore rants.

Because anything can turn from words, to standing too close, to a shove and downward. And you are going to have to draw your weapon so it can't be taken from you.

You don't want to be involved in an incident that started with words or a gesture or something stupid.

I've heard it said that if carrying a weapon makes you feel six inches taller and covered with hair, to put the weapon away. That's good advice too.

Note on Training

Dunno where you live but in Missouri, there are good CCW teachers in most parts of the state, some on their own and open to individual work by the hour..I really like having a pro standing there, yelling "finger off the trigger!" and pointing out the details of presentation, target acquisition, reloading, assessing the area, etc.....the price is not so bad, id look for a guy like that, might help to feel a bit more "ready"

I am new to this forum, but, a veteran to handling weapons. All of the preparation in the world will not ready one for the aftermath of taking a life. I believe a weapon should be used as an absolute last resort! I think chance favors the prepared mind. Also, if you are depending on a handgun to protect your life, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE USE CHEAP AMMO!!! You may get what you PAY for!!!

Always good to see another person begin to ccw. Practice often and be realistic about your carry options. Also realize that a one gun solution doesn't exist for most of us.

Back