I am looking for a good rifle scope ...

Phill_Jay_D

Hey
Could someone help me?
Where in the Boston area I can buy a good optic for a rifle?
I am interested in two manufacturers - Night force or Vortex.
I basically passing through this area and would like to come and buy, and get out of the store :) So is needed a well stocked shop :D
Thanks in advance for any tips and links

Your better off going on Nightforce website, picking out the model you want and then finding the best price on line.

Check out longrangesupply.com Don has a large number of scopes to choose from and has good prices.

Thanks for your speedy reply.
The website presents great offer with the optics but they have only shipping offer, otherwise not sending outside the USA
Unless I missed something.

Nightforce and Vortex are kind of far apart. There are a lot of really good optics in between. What is the purpose?

Long Range , sport shooting. .308 Win.
After reading several forum and user reviews as well as the opinion of my friend who is an expert in elaboration and LR shooting, I chose the Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 FFP, reticle - EBR-2C (mrad)
Now the problem is to find a place where I could buy this rifle scope.

I posted "oops" because I overlooked your post stating you chose the Vortex. I had written that there is no comparison between a Nightforce scope and a Vortex scope. Nightforce scopes are VERY expensive because they are extremely high quality. I've never owned one but shot my daughter's father-in-law's bench rest rifle with a Nightforce scope. Three shot one-hole groups at 100 yards twice with a rifle I'd never seen before. The rifle, his hand-loads, and the scope were fantastic!!!

@Cowboy_mo[/B]
For logistic reasons, shipping is out of question, only pickup and pay cash.

@lefteye
I know that NF is unrivaled in comparison with the Vortex, unfortunately, I had an unexpected expense, and I will be able buy a a maximum Vortex.
Going further could be buy a March or Schmidt & Bender :)

If we talk about concentration bullet holes at 100 meters, I with the factory ammo, with the CZ 557 Varmint, .308 Win, I have bullet holes as pictured. (And this is not as high-performance rifle for bench rest competition.

ppO6n2m2lBTXS9VImG3on2OcNC5u4AGCuQKoDwioQRYw56PZibJO0-Qz-82GadFCeYS60rMw0D0CRA=w1440-h900-rw-no

I always look at Leupold first. I suggest you start there. For target shooting, I would be looking at a fixed power, Target scope. If I had the money that is. Leupold offers 20x, 30x and 40x, since I am only guess, on top of assumptions - FWIW.

If you are visiting and want to buy local. Then probably Cabelas in Mass, is the closest to Boston and well stocked for scopes. Although, you might need to call around for specific target models. Rileys and Shooters Outpost are both in tax free (no sales tax), Hooksett NH. Already mentioned Kittery Trading Post about 150 miles(?) north in Maine.

I have a CZ varmint with a 6-18 VX II Leupold and I am 100% satisfied. If I had a little deeper pockets I would might have opted for the 6.5-20x VX III scope with target turrets. The 6-18 is pretty darn good, weight, magnification and quality/price point. I should should say excellent :)

Last edited:
I contacted the Vortex Optics and already got a concrete response.

I chose the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP 30 mm EBR-2C because of reticle and also because it is in the foreground.
Any adjustments after zeroing scopes are unnecessary.

G07_x1E1lV4kIOeaTPGnb-VJoqGhTlkclaABhS0C9-JR2dJuabs2qd0yjoCCLg3f68jMj8xlewL8Cw=w1440-h900-rw-no

Although Leupold wasn't mentioned as option in the OP, I have only Leupold scopes and the best they made at the time I bought them, e.g., three Vari-X III 2.5 x 8, (and a couple more). They were what I could afford (if I skipped a few meals) at the time I bought them.

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50

Cabelas sells 3 versions of this scope, Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 30mm, EBR-1 blah, blah. If you GOT TO HAVE IT NOW, and got to be near Boston, I suggest you consider on of those three.

Cableas has stores in Berlin Mass, E Hartford Conn and Scarborough Maine. Better call and have the customer desk verify they have one you can live with and hold it for you.

Shooters Outpost in Hooksett NH, specialized in big black nasty guns and stocks the scopes to go with. Did you call them?

FYI, Leupold also markets tactical scopes with first focal plane crosshairs, such as this one: "Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm ER/T M5 Front Focal Plane Rifle Scope"

Last edited:
Back