I am interested in a bolt action 223

A black stock isn't a necessity, I just think they look nice and wouldn't have to worry about scratching it up.

I have a 527 with their sun burst laminated stock, it's one sweet rifle.

The set trigger that came in the gun is the best factory trigger I've ever had in any major manufactures rifle.
As a matter of fact I don't know of any after market triggers that could make the rifle any better.

Shooting Winchester white box 45 gr JHP loads I had no trouble getting half inch groups at 100 yards.
I don't ever exspect any better performance then that shooting factory mass produced ammo out of a hunting rifle.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

with no experience of it I toss out the mossberg mvp. i assume you are an maerican so you already have an ar15 and can share mags, i assume becuase I am a jealous european:o

First of all, I wouldn't rule out having a wood stock. I have been using wood all my life, and never have I had water damage, nor have I broken one. That aside, Remington would be my fist choice. The CZ would interest me also. Especially having a set trigger.

Plus, black synthetic stocks scratch and ding too. Sometimes, in some areas, and in some light- they stand out more than on wood- especially laminate. And, a little dab of true oil or tung oil can't hide a scrape or scratch on black synthetic.

The best shooting 223 I've ever owned is my 700LTR. It is a 1 in 9" twist. Here it is with a B&C stock but I have since switched back to the HS that it came with.
01ltrmedalist004a.jpg

While I agree with the Savage recommendation in post #2, I would add the Remington SPS Tactical. Don't let the Hogue stock dissuade you. I find it to be just fine and could always be changed.

A plain old (early 80's) Savage 110E. Will shoot 1/2" 100 yd groups all day! Just not very sexy.

Back a dozen or so years I bought a Ruger 77 Mk II light sporter in .223. 22" barrel, 1:10 twist. Wood stock. I put a Timney trigger on it.

With 50- to 55-grain bullets, it's half-MOA on the bench and ruinacious on prairie dogs to 300 yards. Round-nose 70-grain bullets are also tight-group.

light weight

I figured youi'd get a bunch or responses with heavy barrel varmint class rifles, so I'm suggesting something different.

The .223 is not big round, and does not necessarily need a big rifle. My bolt .223 is an Interarms, YZ Mini-Mauser. Another .223 lightweight would be a Rem Model 7.

Top those rifles with modest size scopes and you have a useful, easy to tote firearm that will reach out on pests and is not expensive to feed.

I have a ruger hawkeye all weather (stainless, synthetic), its more accurate than I am, never had a hiccup and after having a major overpressure in my previous hawkeye I am very impressed with the strength of the action, I'll definitely buy more rugers

I also have the Hawkeye stainless in 223, and I really like it. I replaced the trigger with a Timney and the stock with a Hogue, though the old trigger was Ok and the original stock was usable but not what I wanted. Let me tell ya...that rascal will shoot into a half inch (if I can do my part) with Sierra 65 grain GK and with Nosler 40 gr Ballistic Tips, and that was with the old trigger. I don't know if the new trigger, which is great, will help me shrink the groups any. We'll see.

Back