I am interested in a bolt action 223

rebs

WHat make and model do you guys own and can give me some advice ?
I am looking for a bolt action in 223 cal, preferably with a black stock and very accurate. What do you guys recommend ?

From my experience, you won't got wrong with either one of the following:

1) a CZ 527 Varmint with the factory Kevlar HS Precision stock and the factory set trigger.
2) A Savage 10FCP-K with the Accu-trigger and Accu-stock.

Both rifles are very accurate, even with factory loads.
Both are 1:9 twist.

Both average under 0.5 inches with their favorite factory ammos and average under 0.4 inches with their top 10 hand loads.

The CZ averages under 0.4 inches with 40, 45, 50, 52, 55, 60 and 65 grain bullet loads.

The Savage averages under 0.4 inches with 50, 52, 55, 65 and 69 grain bullets.

The CZ was $ 856 and the Savage was $ 713.

Budget? Are you wanting a $400 rifle or a $4,000 custom? Without more info I will say that most any of the major brands make a Varmit or Tactical type rifle that will suit your needs. On a budget gun I'd look very hard at the TC Venture

Are you shooting targets, varmints, or both? Are you looking for something lightweight to carry around, or more target/tactical? How well do you shoot? Your skill as a shooter makes rifles accurate, not the other way around. An accurate shooter can do amazing things with rifles that's would be considered inaccurate by most people's standards.

I have all ways liked the Ruger M-77 T. I have one in 308 and have shot one in 223. It does not meet all of your criteria, it has a laminated stock. Mine does not have a problem with weather and the SS metal demands little care.

Most importantly they are tack drivers right out of the box. Used one come in at about $450 in my part of the world.

Weatherby vanguard/howa1500, same gun different name brand. Rem. 700, win 70, and ruger77 all get my vote. Several companies give moa guarantee on accuracy, for a little more $. It has been a while since I checked, but the TC Icon used to have an option for 1/2 moa with specific ammo. All the major manufacturers have decent bolt guns. It is hard to go wrong. Pick the one you like and that fits you.

Really is hard to beat a Tikka! Every rifle I own that says, "Made in Finland" on the barrel is a real shooter.

Gregg

It would be for target shooting and varmint shooting, I would like to stay in the less than $1000.00 mark, preferably between 500.00 and 700.00 range.

I really like my Ruger Hawkeye. It came in SS with a synthetic stock, but I upgraded the stock. It'll shoot to half an inch with handloads, though I personally cannot shoot that well everyday. I got it on sale for under $500 and now have a Leupold 6-18 scope on it. For a guy that bad mouthed the 223 round for years, I become a big fan because of this rifle. I shoot it more than any of my other rifles. The twist is 1 in 9.

I have a Ruger Hawkeye Compact that I am very happy with. Easy shooting, accurate and a joy to pack around. I like the model well enough I will be buying the .308 version of the same rifle. It isn't for everyone but these rifles are moving up on my short list of best SHTF rifles. I never figured I needed a semi-auto when a good bolt gun will do the job if you know what you are doing.

I really gotta offer my suggestion to the CZ 527. I have both the laminated Varmint model and the American model. The American does everything the Varmint does and makes for a much handier truck gun. I don't know if you can get a black stock on them though- too bad you're hung up on that- the 527 with it's rock solid rings, single set trigger, and overall build- it's worth much more than whats on the price tag in my opinion.

I have a .223 Weatherby Vanguard bolt-action with the black synthetic stock and topped with a 5-20x44 Nikon Monarch scope that on most days can kill paper with less than 1" groups at 100 yds. out of a cool barrel. Thats shooting off a front-end rest using factory ammo. The AR-15 is used to kill time between strings while the Weatherby's cooling down.:)

IMG_1264.jpg

Man what scope is on that thing? That is one long scope, I usually prefer a more compact looking scope. I realize it has a sun shade is on it and the action is short on your rifle, but it still looks like a very long tube scope.

I love CZ rifles but I hate that may sticking out the bottom of it.

Back