I Am Considering A Mauser

Why not just buy a M44 or a M38? Both are well under your price and one with a good barrel will shoot well. Saves having to stock or reload another type of ammo too.

Im with you on a Mauser , the only way I would try to talk you out of it, is because I love them and wish I could own them all! But I can tell you a mosin cant even begin to come even close to the precision of a Mauser . Its like comparing fine cutlery to a steel strap with a dull edge! And yes I do own and shoot both.........................LOUD

If you want a real Mauser carbine, expect to pay through the nose for a true South American cavalry carbine. Also expect harsh recoil with full load(not wimpy commercial USA) ammo.

44 Amp

I would like to answer your question about converting 30 06 Brass to 8x57 Mauser Brass. It makes alot of sense, buying factory brass is expensive, also factory ammo is expensive, and sucks. 30 06 is very common, and alot of people own more than one Rifle. My Son and I both have 30 06 Rifles that we shoot and hunt with, also have 8MM Mausers. The Mausers get the hand me Down Brass from our 30 06s. I also have a friend that suprises me from time to time with big bags of 30 06 brass. I hope I have answered your question as to why someone would make this conversion. :)

Tx Hunter, I understand completely. If you have a source for cheap 06 brass, and you don't mind doing the work, it's the way to go. I have done it myself, for both 8mm and 7.7mm Jap.

My situation is different from yours and these days, when I can find it, I try to buy "original" brass. At the guns shows, its not significantly different in price from most fairly popular calibers. And if you think 8mm is expensive, try buying brass for a .375 H&H, or a .350 Rem Mag (if you can get it!)

I have 3 8mm Mausers, which, sadly, I don't shoot that much these days, so my stockpile of ammo is sufficient.

years ago, I bought 5 boxes of Rem 8mm Mauser, back when they were less than the cost of breakfast for the wife and I, each. A box a month from the local Bi-Mart. Its true that it is underpowered compared to European stuff, but its accurate, fairly soft recoil, and actually has enough power for my hunting needs. Plus it leaves that good R-P brass to reload when you are done. A couple of bags of brass from the gun shows, and I've got a few hundred cases, which will last me a long time. Heck, I've still got a few boxes of Herters 8mm bullets to use up!:D

The one drawback to forming your 8mm from 06 is the headstamps. Make sure you mark the boxes, cause just looking at the case heads won't tell you which round it is, and grabbing the wrong box would be a bad thing.

I figure you all might know of one that is closer to what I'm looking for. Do the Yugos have decent bores on average? What is their stock precision and accuracy? Do they come with bayonets?

I currently own three Yogoslavian Mausers, M24, M24/47 and M48. While I do not have MOA numbers, they all do their part if I do mine and are on target as far as my eyes can see. All came with very good bores. Only the M48 was in cosmo, the other two I picked up from other collectors. Yes, they all had bayonets, but if one has all the accessories at this point is a hunt. I have bayonets for all of mine, they have slight differences but they interchange.

In addition to being reasonably priced (Yugo M48 prices, you can find a few under $250 still), they have an interesting history as Branko Bogdanovic wrote about in Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles.

You don't need a 'forming die' to convert .30-06 to 8mm Mauser. The standard RCBS 8mm FL sizer die works plenty fine for my conversions. Use the money saved for bullets and powder.
On the average, my Mauser will outshoot my Mosins. But with my 55 year old eyes, I have scout-scoped two Mosin 91/30s. They show very good promise, with the later round-receiver showing less pickiness about which bullets it'll shoot well compared to the hex.
I will soon be scoping my Spanish M43, as it was bubba'd before I got it and has no 'collector value' to worry about. A Boyd's stock is in it's near future too. Trigger is fair, bore is very good.

Back