I almost shot someone.....

One way to avoid road rage is to have excruciatingly good manners. But anyone knows how rare such things are. I see an abundance of drivers who seem to think the speed limits do not apply to them and in any case, are set at an artificially low limit and could not possibly be obeyed.

I used to think of driving as a sort of Grand Prix but now I think it's more like Roller Derby.

They say defensive driving is key. But where I'm from you react defensively and the other person gets mad at you doing so and the antics ensue.

Example. You're in your lane. And someone is changing lanes into you. You lay on the horn and brake so they don't cause an accident. They jerk back into their lane. Then they'll either step on it and cut you off, give you the finger, at the next light put down their window and start screaming and cussing at you, or flip a switch where they cut off everyone and their mother just to get far away from you. It's never ending...

Well, there you go! You never blow your horn at another driver. It just isn't done! The horn is for getting the attention of girls. Flashing lights (not mentioned in the driver's manual) is to be reserved for signaling other cars of the same make, assuming you drive a relatively unusual car, like a Morgan or a Bristol or a Desoto or maybe even an Olds.

The basic aim, besides reaching home at night, is to avoid getting in a fight. I realize that threatening someone can be efficient but it sometimes results in making someone afraid of you. My father once told me that someone who is afraid of you is the person who will kill you.

I'm not saying I don't get mad at people now and then.

Please tell me after all this, you weren't driving a Prius.:D I mean after all, the other guy was in a Focus wagon.

And as far knowing about speed racing, It simply reminded me of an old Japanese cartoon, back when I was a kid.;)

almost as bad brother. I was driving my wife's 2014 Ford Fiesta Hatchback, nice car and fairly new, but a "speed-racer" it is not, I have to turn off the air conditioning to get up to the speed limit on a long hill. we bought it for the 40MPG, not the drift racing cup.......

as to the previous question....no, I didn't call the police. I have called the police twice in my life and they always know how to make things worse for me. this disagreement was settled, no one was harmed and no property was destroyed, the police can go find money from someone else.

Seems like this went on for a while. Next time you really should call the cops immediately if you feel like someone is following you or has any kind of hostile intentions towards you on the road. You inform the dispatcher that you have a permit and that you are armed and are in fear for your life. Doing this doesn't make you a sissy. It prevents the prosecutor at your trial (if it gets that far) from telling the jury that you failed to do everything you possibly could to prevent the confrontation in the event that you are forced to dump a magazine into the guy. I know these things can happen very quickly but if you have the time you need to get on your phone immediately.

I don't know if I've got the full picture, but one way to thoroughly tick off the most patient of drivers is to cruise in the left lane and refuse to move over to the right to allow people to pass when there is traffic. It forces those who want to pass to do it on the right in between cars which is much more dangerous. I bring this up because a guy pulling up behind and flashing his lights is what they do when they are frustrated with a stubborn driver who won't move over. I will also give a guy a shot of bright lights when he has been following me with his high beams on to let him know he has them on. I'm wondering if you were one of those guys who wouldn't move over and instead escalated it, or was follwoing with your high beams on. I don't know, just wondering.

Last edited:
We have NO IDEA of the person/people in the other car. Unstable and mentally ill and hotly irrational people are frankly quite common. It's best to avoid them at all costs.

Great way to sum it up. When driving, I assume everyone else is armed and one little incident away from loosing it. I stay out of the left lane unless passing, and I don't pull into the left lane unless there is sufficient space between myself and the next speed demon behind me to clear the car I'm passing. Typically I drive 5 to 7 over, and I'm more than happy to let cop trollers (aka mine sweepers) zoom past me on the left :p . I've never gotten a speeding ticket in 20 years of driving, though I've lost count of the number of cars that "found the land mine" minutes after blasting past me.

One of life's more satisfying occurrences :D .

It can be difficult to keep ones cool at times, but humor helps. I was driving my Suburban Z71 yesterday on a 2 lane road (55 speed limit, doing 60) and had a Honda Civic tailgating me so close I could see only half his windshield in my mirror. But I chuckled when I considered that if I had to slam on my brakes, he'd get a heaping mouth full of spare tire, hanging underneath just in front of the rear bumper :).

As for road rage incidents, pretty much the only time I'd consider using my gun is if I were boxed in by other cars / building / obstacles and there was no other way out. Even in the OPs situation I would have considering running back up the off ramp and getting back out on the highway. Trading shots with a dumb butt is the last thing I want to do.

Last edited:
At that point, me running away would have been a poor tactic. He already had a firearm and was already out of his vehicle. I gave myself the advantage over the situation by drawing my arm first, so any aggressive movement past that point I could have quickly ended the threat. If I tried to get out of my car and retreat down the hill, I am giving him tons of opportunity to get his weapon drawn and fire upon me. Trying to manipulate my car backwards on a tight lane on a sharp curve, again I would have to remove my focus from the aggressor and would give him the chance do whatever he pleased. He had no options with the tactic I chose. My guns was ready, aimed and just 4#s of finger pressure away from stopping any further action that could have caused me harm. I have obviously been thinking back on this altercation constantly since it happened, I can't think of anything I would have done differently, at least AFTER the altercation outside the car began. My only bad move, IMO, was putting the in reverse and having my left foot on the break, that was out of thinking retreat was a possible option, but as the suspect wad so close and the threat was imminent, backing my car up would have been a bad choice and most likely have put my car in the ditch. But if a shooting occured and my foot left the brake pedal then I could have lost the upper hand, possibly. As for the previous poster, no.....I was not going slow in the fast lane, but I was leaving the fast lane to pass the slow people many times. After the man gave me his explanation, I understood what he was doing, it was just silly. As we were both going at a high rate of spped and passing people in the fast lane, he was flashing when he assumed I wanted to pass a slower driver in front of me to say that he was letting me over or I was okay to get over. He was playing traffic racing games and thought ibwas in on the fun, and apparently he thought a porche that was apparently in our pack was also part of the party. Me.....I was ordering take out to get home and fees my wife and child and getting frustrated by all the nit wits that think they need to go 20 under when the roads are a little damp. But regardless, I got frustrated with him after that last cut off, when I was in the slow lane and approaching my exit and that's when I decided to inact my childish revenge of riding his arse and shining my brights in his mirror. But after all the silliness, I don't know w I could have better handled the threat once it began, I couldn't see what he was doing as the curve is steep and sharp, I didn't know I was being blocked in until I was withing 15 feet of his vehicle. I was armed a ready as soon as I saw he was blocking, and aimed and on target before he left his vehicle. If he was still inside and flashed a firearm before exiting, maybe I could have mad the choice to retreat, but leaving my vehicle which was the ONLY possible cover for hundreds of feet, and running on foot woild havve been silly.

We can Monday-morning-quarterback this thing forever but the fact is you walked away unscathed from an altercation that could have gone much worse but didn't because you: 1. Had the gun, 2. knew how to use it, 3. knew how not to use it. That makes it a good DGU in my book. Could you have de-escalated the situation earlier? Maybe. Maybe not. I'd say you done purty good, OP.

I've lost count of the number of cars that "found the land mine" minutes after blasting past me.

One of life's more satisfying occurrences
:D Are you also one that offers up a satisfied big smile to the victim as you go past him sitting in front of a state cop? That's me in a nutshell, and whether it invokes in him an even bigger desire to make me an object of his rage, I've never found out. Though I suspect their ardor is dampened considerably, after receiving a hefty fine.

There is NO room for road rage when you are carrying a gun. I lived in New Jersey for my whole life until about 3 years ago and was as guilty as anybody for getting aggravated enough to flip inconsiderate drivers the bird and do some stupid retaliatory driving stunts. I live in Missouri now. Few months ago I'm pulling away from a stop sign and notice the guy tailgating me is waving a hammer at me. I'm carrying my 10 mil. I ignore him and keep driving normally until he gives up and turns off. Carrying a gun calls for more change than most people realize. I'm glad no one learned that the hard way in your case.

There is NO room for road rage when you are carrying a gun. I lived in New Jersey for my whole life until about 3 years ago and was as guilty as anybody for getting aggravated enough to flip inconsiderate drivers the bird and do some stupid retaliatory driving stunts. I live in Missouri now. Few months ago I'm pulling away from a stop sign and notice the guy tailgating me is waving a hammer at me. I'm carrying my 10 mil. I ignore him and keep driving normally until he gives up and turns off. Carrying a gun calls for more change than most people realize. I'm glad no one learned that the hard way in your case.

That's exactly what I try to tell the "I can't carry a gun because I'm a hot head." crowd. It calms you. It's calmed many people. Knowing what you possess inside your waistband and whatever skills you possess along with it should be enough to only react to real time threats. A lot of road rage people blow smoke. Getting out of the car and coming towards you is crossing the line. So is using their car as a battering ram.

It was his fault. It was avoidable. He belonged in jail for blocking you, as that would be interpreted as vehicular assault. He brandished a weapon in commission of criminal action. If he had drawn, and this happens all of the time, your only truly safe option was using force, and risking killing him.

Next time, don't allow escalation. You came a fraction of a hair away from violent death on your conscience, and yes, you would have regretted it. It was too easily preventable.

I had a confrontation myself last year, that was the fault of an aggressor who chose to escalate a simple situation. I could have done better,but I did nothing wrong, although please criticized me.

Don't leave. Any doubt of your innocence of wrongdoing or lack of judgment.

I realize this is an old thread but I noticed a couple of issues that weren't address

I realize I'm a little late to this party but I do have a couple of observations.

My first comment is about the end of the encounter. Rule number 1 always assume there are witnesses. Maybe I misunderstood but it took place at or around a mall. Two men throwing down on each other I'm amazed that someone didn't call the cops.

Second you threw down on an armed aggressor then let him walk away still armed? You don't know this person from a bar of soap, there was nothing to keep him from walking away and then firing on you or walking away and calling the cops and telling them his story (with you as the bad guy). If it's bad enough for the gun to come out it's bad enough to call the cops.

As for the beginning of the confrontation; If you are involved in a self defense incident one of the first things the police are going to look at is how clean your hands are and yours weren't. You were as much if not more of an aggressor as the other guy.

There's also the fact that you (apparently) followed him off the highway

What you want is to handle yourself in such a way that it’s crystal clear that you did everything you could to keep the situation from going that far.

One thing that has been driven home to me over and over and over and over again since I started carrying a gun is that you always have to be the one to back down. You can not afford to do anything that might escalate the situation. Something like this happens on the highway I take the next exit and head for the nearest police station. I'm now clearly trying to disengage and get as far away as I possibly can.

With all due respect I think you got very lucky and I would highly recommend some professional training

You know, when this sort of thing starts to happen you can just get off at the next exit and then get back on immediately having fallen several hundred yards behind whoever the problem was without escalating. Or slow down slow enough they pass on by. Or any number of other things before it escalates to this level.

People would never engage in rude behavior like this on foot, why the hell are you doing it in a car?

If you are in the left lane and someone want by, get over.

my critique: If it were me I would likely feel like this-

1. I wouldnt participate in the exchange of unpleasantries with other motorists.

2. when dealing with someone I suspect is experiencing some sort of rage, I would NOT go where they go.

3. If the badguy is leaving, walking away, backing off... I would not hinder or delay them with conversation. They might change their mind and come back

just my 2 cents

The Monday morning quarterbacking is strong with this thread...
Sorry, but, like most drivers, I deal with a situation similar to the beginning of that described on a regular basis. As such, I am fairly confident what my reaction would be. This isn't some abstract hypothetical. I have exited the highway and got right back on to avoid a confrontation multiple times before. I regularly get out of the left lane going ten or fifteen over to let someone who wants to do twenty or thirty over go on by.

Possibly because at the point he brandishes a firearm my reaction would be much different than OPs, so I try really hard not to get there.

I regularly get out of the left lane going ten or fifteen over to let someone who wants to do twenty or thirty over go on by.

The problem with this strategy is when you have a line of traffic in front of you, beside you and some idiot behind you is driving erratic flashing his lights at you. There are people on the highways that race for pride or money or whatever and if you're in their way, they may take out their loss on you. Like the OP pointed out, it isn't always about some guy who is frustrated driver; there could be a lot more going on.

Back