Hypothetical home defense scenario

There's another variable in the 'do you investigate' scenario ... kids. If I hear some odd noise, I must at least confirm my kids are OK, and then I must secure the top of the stairs. I don't have the option of staying in my own room, since doing so would expose my most precious family to potential harm.

I also agree that it depends greatly upon how sure you are of a problem. It is not all that uncommon to hear some odd creak of a stair or the house, perhaps a screen blown by wind, or even a dog grabbing something he shouldn't off the table (and, breaking a glass) - can't call LEO's everytime there is even a possibility of a problem.

Regarding the bayonet, to be frank, I'm trying to imagine (1) why anyone would take the time to fix a bayonet on the shotgun, or (2) store the shotgun with bayonet affixed. IMHO, it's a nonissue, just from a practical standpoint.

Regarding scenario 2, I'm with Mike - you both hole up in your rooms. Of course, where it would get interesting would be when one of you engages the BG, and the other resident believes the BG is winning. The master light switch would seem to be a big help in that situation. I know that if the person in bedroom 2 is someone I care about (and, it is hard to imagine they won't be), and I hear shots, it is going to be difficult to stay locked in my own room. Dicey situation.

Finally, regarding scenario 3, I don't think anyone seriously recommends warning shots. Too dangerous, wipes out your hearing for a few minutes, etc. Instead, a loud, verbal challenge - 'Don't Move!!'. If the BG advances, and especially if he makes the classic 'furtive move', then you may very well decide your life is threatened. Whereupon the sage advice is 'anyone worth shooting once, is worth shooting twice'. Stop the threat, positively.

Regards from AZ

Branscombe, Nyla R.; Crosby, Paul; Weir, Julie A. Social inferences concerning male and female homeowners who use a gun to shoot an intruder. Aggressive Behavior. 1993; Vol 19(2): 113 124
Two experiments with 81 male and 81 female undergraduates examined the hypothesis that gender stereotypes influence social inferences about homeowners who use a gun to shoot an intruder. Male homeowners who shot incompetently were perceived more negatively than were men who shot the intruder with competence. The opposite trend was observed for female homeowners. The degree of acceptance of the notion that guns provide their owners with protection moderated the social judgments formed about homeowners who use weapons to defend their property. Ss for whom the event is inconsistent with their attitude based expectancies blamed stereotype inconsistent homeowners more than gender stereotype consistent homeowners, particularly the skillful female shooters. Ss with relatively negative attitudes toward guns perceived the skillful female shooters more positively than the other homeowners.

Interesting finding isn't it. Now all you guys who want to have fit about us college professors, calm down :)

Huh. Interesting indeed. As usual, the abstract leaves you with many questions...but you can't condense a paper into one paragraph. I'll have to add that one to my to-read list.

Thanks,

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

Eh? You shoot BG with buckshot? Take the bayonet off... who's going to know you had a bayonet on it? ;) Take it off and throw it in the closet after you shoot him... ^_^`

Thanks for all the opinions! Let me just say that I do not normally put a bayonet on my 590, but was just curious what a jury would think if it were used in self defense.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

CYA...Never shoot to kill. Never shoot to wound. Never shoot to disable. Shoot to stop, and shoot til the threat is positively stopped.
Sam

That is CRUCIAL for legal survival.

You did not shoot to kill. You did not shoot for ANY reason other than to stop him from posing a threat to your life or the life of another.

You were scared for your life. He was posing a threat to your life. You shot to stop the threat. Period. And until you get a good lawyer, shut your mouth. :)

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

Back