Hunting with "iron sights"

Bill Daniel

As I have been thinking of deer hunting having only hunted birds for years I have thought myself into a corner:(. My rifle has iron sights, XS sight rear circle and front post. My deer will most likely be a 100 yards maximum considering the locations I can hunt. If the kill zone of a white tail deer is 6 to 8 inches then that target at 100 yards will look the same as 0.06" to 0.08" at one yard. How can you hold, with accuracy, on such a small point?? I know I have probably confused myself as untold thousands of deer have been harvested for hundreds of years with iron sights. Is my math wrong or what is wrong with my thinking.
Thanks, Bill

Remember that you're not shooting at a point in isolation - you're shooting at a part of a greater whole, with the shape of the rest of the animal to put it in context for you. The aim point is seen in relation to things like foreleg, base of neck, etc, and where these landmarks join each other.

Remember also that an eight inch kill zone is 8 MOA at 100 yards.

The only thing I'd be hesitant about with using a peep backsight for hunting is that it may restrict your field of view depending on the aperture width. If you can't see that whole animal, you'll find it harder to place the front sight in context. Most "old fashioned" hunting-rifle iron sights I've seen are V-notch and front post for a very good reason - they keep the field of view as wide open as possible for that context-picture-painting.

Some sights are designed with much smaller posts and apertures for more precise shooting. Your sights are meant for up close shots in a hurry. Think bear protection, not precision.

It is possible to do right well though. I'd zero so that my bullets are impacting right at the top edge of the big round front sight. Not somewhere in the middle of it where the sight covers most of a deer.

Many of my early deer kills were taken with a shotgun with iron sights. I like your thought process but I do think you're over thinking it. If you can can hit baseball accurate at 100 yards with a rifle using irons, then fire away at that deer.

When I bought my 280 Remington model 700 BDL the first five shots I took with it were using the iron sights at 100 yards and I shot a 2" group.

Last edited:
In my younger days, I hunted with my 12 guage 870 in the same spots I hunted during bow season. It was real thick and I had a few shots that were 65 yards or closer (most closer). The original post said iron sights with a rifle and I don't see any reason why a 100 yards and closer isn't in play.

most of my deer have been taken with my marlin 357 and open sights. As long as you have a rest and practice I see no reason 100 yards is not doable.

XS

I've got a set of XS sights on an old model Ruger .44 carbine and consider the rig a more than adequate 100 yd deer gun. Also shoot the XS rig on an M4 just fine. ..... Well, until just recently as my eyes did the 50+ thing.

Lots, repeat, lots of deer have fallen to peeps, which were a sight up grade (and still are for most of us) before good 'scopes.

scopes are cheating! ;)

The best part will be bragging you killed your deer with iron sights. It is not a hindrance, but a challenge. Great shooters do it old school. I've killed most my deer with iron sights. Including my revolver.

BG

I use a Marlin 336 30/30 with XS Ghost ring and white blade and have no problem with hunting accuracy at 100 yards . I made a perfect heart shot on a doe this year at 50 to 60 yards. The ghost ring will not obscure the target put the top of the post on what you want to hit squeeze trigger.

Mwal

you are thinking way too far into it. it is not difficult, take a small paper plate and set it up at 100 yards. that is the kill zone on a deer. it seems insurmountable on paper but in reality it is not that hard.

100_1528_zps535d16fc.jpg

this bear has about the same sized kill zone as a deer and it was about a 100 yard shot.

Bill,

Put a scope on your rifle or get another suitable one.

A rifle scope has many benefits. Some are:

A. Identify the target and background.
In many deer hunting locals only a particular deer is legal. The scope will
confirm that it is.
Also it will check that the background is safe to shoot through and at.

B. A rifle is far more fun to shoot at the range with a scope.

I got my first deer in 1953 and I still have the scope that I used then.

I hunted deer yesterday with my M99 scoped with a Leu. 2-7. That's a good basic scope to start with.

I've killed a few deer with scoped rifles; but I prefer to use iron-sighted lever actions, military rifles, handguns and period firearms from 1830 forward. For me, this is deer hunting at its finest and it is the essence of hunting in general. I've used iron or aperture sights to good effect.

If however you are hunting an area with Antler Point Restrictions, a scope makes sense. A scope on your rifle is no more cumbersome than a pair of binoculars slung around your neck.

Thanks fellows!! I will practice on 8" paper plates at 100 yards to be sure I am competent as these eyes are pushing 60 years.
Bill

I actually hunted in Kentucky about 25 years ago. The law at the time was a 4" spike was legal. I took my old .303 Savage out in PA one year and accidently shot a spike for a doe. You will not be able to tell what the deer is with open sights at 50 yards in thicker cover. Something to think about.

Older eyes and more complicated points restrictions drove me to scope years ago. Got nostalgic for the peeps a few years back and figured I don't need to see brow tines on a bear. Mistake. Last half hour of legal hunting in dense Maine woods was a waste. ....and glow sights don't make the target or branches brighter.

That was exactly my story. I decided to take a trip down memory lane with the open sighted .303. I was hunting in Tamaqua, right below you.

A scope is a great aid in seeing horns / no horns on a deer in thick cover if you are hunting with a single gender specific tag.

Especially so if you hunt an area with an APR in effect and you have to count tines.

In either case if a scope saved you from a fine and / or loss of privileges it would prove to be a very good investment.

Again thanks to those with "Presbyterian" eyes.:) My goal is a clean kill, "iron sight" bragging or not. If after practice and scouting I am not confident I will get that Leupold FX 4 that keeps calling my name when I log on to Optics Planet.
I always appreciate the experience and insight you all provide. Have a blessed Christmas, Bill.

Back