Hunting with an SKS

If money were no object, I'd have recommended a Holland and Holland double rifle... in a nice proper caliber like 300 Holland and Holland magnum...

or a custom Mauser, done up in exotic wood, in a custom caliber... like a sweet .284 Winchester...

money being what it is (you mentioned that somewhere else, earlier,) planning ahead and all, a good Savage is the most bang for the buck... inexpensive, accurate, and solidly-built...

I HAVE the custom mausers... and when it comes down to brass-tacks, I haul the Savage 110-E 9 times out of 10!

(It's the only one I haul to Colorado in the fall for elk-hunting...)

If you were in a market for a serious hunting tool (7,62x39 ain't such a thing for an elk), I would sugest Remington No.7 in .308 Win.
It's light, short and not that much hostile to your wallet.

I wouldn't like to hunt with a limited range of 40-80 yards.
If you can't hit a 6 x 6 inches target on 100 - 200 yards there is something wrong:

1. you
2. rifle, ammo

help AD1. practice
help AD2. a.get (another) scope and mounts
b. get another rifle with solid scope and mounts
c. buy quality ammo

Also note that Wolf now sells a 154 gr soft point round for the 7.62x39. This round should be far superior to the 123 HP in deer killing ability. This new round pretty much makes my reloading efforts for the 7.62x39 rather pointless, as it shoots about as well as my reloads, and is quite a bit cheaper.

I'm figuring out that the sks is good for close range, but not for longer ranges (150 yards etc.) Thats why I came and posted here, to find out opinions on good rifles. Ofcourse more practice with it wouldnt hurt and I dont mind doing that :D but basically I want something thats good for long ranges on deer, as well as future hunts including elk.

I wouldnt want to find myself with the only deer shot being long range and a rifle that can't handle the distance.

pilon~ Next time I'm at the gun store I'll check out that Remington you mentioned. Thanks for the advice!

Frankly, my next rifle may be one of the NEF rifles. I've never seen one shoot badly and the price is right. The only variable is that some of the factory triggers are very heavy. I'd dry fire a couple and find one that is nice and light/crisp.

If you need to fit the stock, looks easy to do.

A good friend has one in .223 that will group with any bolt gun, so I am a bit predisposed to think highly of them.

Should be able to be up and running for $300.00 or so...

HTH

Last edited:
Thank you for explaining that to me, I dont do well with abbreviations I guess. :( I'll check those links out Gizmo... So many good rifles to check out, so little time.

The SKS is not an accurate gun normally because of several design factors. A 30-30 rifle would give a small improvement over the SKS in power and range.

A NEF single shot in 243 would be a good choice for a step up in range, but I would probably suggest (new gun) a Rem Model 7 Youth/Ladies model in 260 or 7-08 if it fit you and price not too high. Or (used gun) a 257 roberts, 260, 7-08, or 6.5x55.

Back