Hunting with a Single Shot

I've hunted boar on a ranch with a TC Encore single shot rifle. Mind you it was in .375 H+H Magnum and I carried a G20 on my hip.

I have wanted a Ruger number 1 for awhile now. Just never plunked down the cash.

I can't think of a time when i've needed a follow up shot on deer. Even this year I shot one and it ran 35 yards and then 3 minutes later a larger deer walked in and was dropped in it's tracks. I was using a bolt action but really a single shot is almost as fast to reload.

The only area where I disagree is small game, upland game, waterfowl, and probably dangerous game. But really dangerous game if you don't have a semi auto how many shots could you honestly get off.

I have used flintlocks, caplocks, Sharps and Ruger #1s for about 45 years now.

Never have I needed a 2nd shot with a muzzleloader. and never with my sharps either.
One time I did with my 9.3X74R Ruger and I was actually able to pull it off. Eject the shell, grab another from my pocket, re-load and kill the running deer.

I think I got lucky, but I was proud of the 2nd shot and embarrassed by the 1st.

The one time I needed to make more than one shot I missed anyway.

I grazed it the first time, I grazed it the second time, and the other round or two hit nothing (it did not help it was 400+ yards and no rest, if I had trusted my setup and not aimed high I would have nailed it, so it was not like I could not shoot that back then.

On the other hand, Alaska is the place where you might have to defend a kill.

In our case, when we tracked that feller down, we wound up in the dark of night with our backs to a creek in serious bear country and a boat full of meat behind us.

Maybe not the smartest but we were going to fight it out if we had to.

When we got back to the boat there was a game agent hunting a mile or two always that had a bear come and take his moose. hmmmm.

So the point is, put it in context.

I would not be the least bit reluctant to hunt single shots in most places in the states. I probably would carry a revolver.

A good single-shot rifle for hunting has plenty of upsides and only one potential downside and that, of course, is it takes a lot longer for a second, "follow-up" shot. Whether I'm hunting deer or groundhogs with my Ruger No.1, I've found it helpful to use one of those elastic straps having a cartridge holding loop around my wrist. It makes for a much faster reload.

I have three Ruger No.3s, .22 Hornet, .30-40 Krag, and (my favorite) .45-70. Also have a No.1 in .375 H&H, but haven't actually hunted with that one (weighs a TON, all barrel, ;)).

I also have a couple of T/C Contender frames and around a dozen barrels, mostly pistol calibers, but including .30-30 and .45-70.

Grew up bird hunting with single shot shotguns. For birds, a double or any repeater is far better. For other game, including big game, not quite as much.

A suitable single shot is fine for any game, but dangerous game. For the beasts that will hunt you back, and those that charge, a double is a LOT more comforting.

The big game double rifles from the classic era were favored by the Ivory hunters (and others) only partly because of their having a second shot instantly available if their first one didn't do the job, but ALSO because they used separate lockworks so that if something (broken part, etc) kept the first shot from firing, the odds of the same thing stopping the second shot were considered about zero.

Well, let's see. Martinis in 30/40AI and .357Max, Handis in .223, .22Hornet, 7x57, .445SM, and .444. Don't own any repeaters. Hunted with ss since 1969, all of my rifles will group well inside 1" at 100. Sounds like BS I know, but I don't see any need for anything else for my hunting. One shot makes you very careful. GW

I have a Ruger 1b in 338 WM that I bought while dreaming of a New Mexico elk hunt. I haven't been on that elk hunt so I decided to load some 200 grain Speers to approximately 8 x 57 velocities and use it on deer.
Sure enough, works great, one shot does it. I think however, as long as another round is within easy reach I could load a second shot pretty quick.

Personally I think single shoots make you a better hunter-your decision making becomes better and most single shoot hunter work at being proficient and patient.

I try to take my #1s out once or twice a year, last outing took a nice black bear in B.C. with 45-70 and pigs earlier in the year with 460 S&W.

Be safe and good luck
Ruggy

I have used the contender and the encore for many years with great success for varmints and deer hunting.
I like focusing on the hunt and making the shot count.

I have had this Ruger #! in 257 Roberts for several years. Although I have not hunted deer with a rifle for many years now when I did this was the rifle I used. I apologize the photo is grainy and not real clear.

attachment.php

Attachments

• HP Pavilion purchase  (2)-1.jpg
    HP Pavilion purchase (2)-1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
ruggyh said:
Personally I think single shoots make you a better hunter-your decision making becomes better and most single shoot hunter work at being proficient and patient.

MarkCO said:
I recall the old adage: 1 shot...one deer. 2 shots...maybe a deer. 3 shots...no deer.

While those days are behind me, I used to hunt with one of my three TCR-87s. I think ruggyh and MarkCO are right; like bowhunting, the single shots force you to rely on hunting skills not firepower.

I hunt with a Browning 1885 in .30-'06, never felt that i was at a disadvantage compared to hunting with one of my bolt guns.

As stated before, make your first shot count (with whatever weapon you're using), and get the practice in to be comfortable with your gun.

Not a Ruger #1, but I just built a Winchester 1885 High Wall. So I don't see any reason not to hunt with a single shot.

"Now, all that being said, a SS rifle is great for all non-dangerous game. I never did understand the Ruger #1 tropical in .458 Win or .416 Rigsby for your hunting pleasure in tangling with an African buff or big cat!"

I must disagree. Before circumstances prevented me from doing the hunt, I was planning a Cape Buffalo hunt. The biggest decision was which of my Ruger #1's to use? The .375 H&H, .404 Jeffery or .416 Rigby?
I started collecting Ruger $1's in 1970 and have acquired quite few and have hunted with them almost ever since. The reason I had to stop was the ranch I hunted on and the out fitter would not allow the use of a single shot rifle. Finny thing is I did five hunts on that place and every elk was a one shot kill to the elk was stopped so hard it could go nowhere. I could have taken my darn sweet time reloading to do a finisher on the "stopped" elk. The two DRTs were one at 150 yards running like a bat out of hell and one out at 350 yards standing still. The others were walking slowly at ranges between 100 and 250 yards.
Rapid reloads are not all that difficult and with a little practice one can shoot AIMED single loader just about as fast as the average rifle hunter. The late gun writer Al Miller did an article on speed loading the single shot rifle in IIRC RIFLE Magazine. Probably something anyone considering using a single shot rifle for hunting should read.
Paul B.

There are some people who seem to think that you have to use a single-shot rifle in order to have the discipline to focus on the first shot and not worry about the next shot. This same kind of thinking is in play when some folks believe that using a semi-auto rifle to hunt with encourages "spray and pray" shooting. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Whereas using a rifle with a one shot capacity requires the hunter to focus on the first shot and may be of some benefit to hunters not so otherwise inclined, using only a single-shot rifle is wholly unnecessary for hunters to learn the rules of conduct for virtuous hunting etiquette. Shooting discipline is acquired by good training and proper mentoring, not by the type of rifle being used.

I hunt with several makes and types of single-shot rifles for all of the many reasons this action excels at; none of which include being certain of the first shot. Being sure of the first shot should be an ethical hunting regimen no matter how many subsequent shots you might have at your disposal.

with a little practice one can shoot AIMED single loader just about as fast as the average rifle hunter.

I'm not sure what "just about as fast" means but let's not get carried away with our enthusiasm for single-shot rifles. Everything else being equal, including the experience, equal amount of practice and ability of the shooter, there's no way that a single-shot rifle can be reloaded nearly as fast as most any repeater, aimed shots or otherwise.

He wasn't talking about equal amounts of practice and skill. He was talking about a practiced single-shot shooter, versus the average rifle hunter.

Since the average rifle hunter, in my experience, tends to rush shots, unshoulder rifles to operate bolts/pumps/levers, and then rather ungraciously reshoulder the rifle to reacquire the target, I'd say there's some validity to the stated comparison.

The comparison particularly favors single-shots with ejectors, rather than just extractors, as well.

I tend to agree, however, that equally practiced and skilled shooters being put up against each other - single-shot vs repeater - will heavily favor the repeater. I think a smoother pump action, or a lever action in the hands of a well trained shooter would probably smoke all else.
Bolt actions can be run pretty quickly, but pumps and levers keep the shooters hands right where they need to be.

I was started out with a single shot 22 when I was a kid. All the other kids had mostly 10/22's. I always felt disadvantaged with a single shot.

Once i got about 25 years of hunting behind me looking back 99% of my shots had been singles. I picked up a nice little stainless CVA hunter. Love its compactness and weight. I have 3 single shots now and dont feel disadvantaged at all when I carry one of them.

Back