hunting with a 30 carbine

Wyoming out laws any 224 cal ammo or any CF ammo less then 2 inches in length, which lets out the 30 Cal and 357, even in a rifle.

A cartritge has to develope 500 ft lbs of energy at 100 yards. The 357 is out there also.

But, the 44 mag is good to go in a revolver or rifle as long as its delivers 500 ft lbs of energy (a 44 mag is presumed to meet that criteria).

Go Figure.

But, the 44 mag is good to go in a revolver or rifle as long as its delivers 500 ft lbs of energy (a 44 mag is presumed to meet that criteria).

Go Figure.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the 44 revolver won't be used at the ranges that someone with a 357 rifle. Maybe that's what's rattling around in their bureaucratic pee brains.

I knew a WWII vet who killed a lot of deer with an M1 Carbine. I questioned him about it once and he pointed out that it killed a lot of Germans so he was sure it would take a deer.

He received a Bronze Star in WWII which would likely have been a MOH today so the man knew what he was talking about and doing.

It wouldn't be my first round of choice for deer. However, I think we have gone caliber/power crazy in the last 30 years with what is "needed" for things.

w748 said

My favorite "just for fun" gun of all time. Mines a "45 Rocky

I always wanted a Rockola. A genuine service carbine made by a jukebox company. There just getting so expensive, so for now I will settle for my Universal.

I just might try it on a whitetail Just so I can say I did. I hope to get off 2 or 3 shots since the recoil is light enough.

A cartritge has to develope 500 ft lbs of energy at 100 yards. The 357 is out there also.

While I agree that the 357 magnum is not legal in Montana, the quoted is not the reason, there are loads that out of a carbine still have over 900 foot pounds at 100 yards.

the 357 magnum is not legal in Montana, the quoted is not the reason, there are loads that out of a carbine still have over 900 foot pounds at 100 yards.

Not out of my Marlin they wont. The 357 wasn't designed to be that hot.

this ammo is hot but its not out of spec for a 357 magnum. The ballistic tables are accurate.

Buffalo bore stats are pretty accurate ask around here if you like. Even if they boost the FPS by 100 fps its still doing over 500 foot pounds of energy at 200 yards.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=102

in fact I can bust out 500 foot pounds of energy at 100 yards from my 6 inch handgun and I have an old post around here with pictures of the chronograph to prove it.

1800 fps at 10 feet from chronograph. .14 BC 125 grain bullet

While the 357 magnum is no where near ideal and is actually very weak for a deer round it is possable... most of my deer have been taken with a 357 magnum 1894 trapper (typically 158 grain bullets though I have played with 180)

p.s. sorry if I seem defencive I am just excited that this is a point that I can prove. :D

Last edited:
Thats pretty pricy. 20 rounds for $28.

I'll stick to my cast bulles, I can load a box of 50 for $1.60

I hunt with Model 70s anyway.

But I have killed moose and buffalo with my loads out of a 4 inch Model 28, don't see the justification for Buffalo Bore, even if they work as advertized.

I actually agree... while its fun to flaunt numbers in the end dead is dead. Shot placement is 100X more important than power. My grandfather talks about killing a white tale with a 22 rifle when he was a kid and laws where not so strict.

any way my original point was that a 30 carbine should be fine so long as the shooter does there part.

Back