Hunting with 168 grain matchking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took 6 deer this year in SC. I shot everyone with Hornady 168 AMAX BTHP. Not a single deer left the corn pile. This round is deadly and will whitetail down with authority. The problem lies with accuracy for most hunters and most are too quick to shoot which will cause inaccuracy issues.

I won't shoot at game animals far enough away to worry about transonic stability issues.

SMK's,both 168 gr and 175 gr,are at the top of the list for target shooting.
I don't understand the fascination with using them for a hunting bullet.

A skilled tradesman selects the proper tool for the job.

Sierra makes accurate hunting bullets that fly well.

I have found that Nosler Custom Competition target bullets are generally in the same league with Sierras.Either will do quite well.
I suggest you look at the Ballistic Tip line.There is a 165 gr and a 168 gr. The 168 has a better BC.
If you want a little tougher bullet,the AccuBond fill the bill.

Compare the BC s and I think you will find out you can have a nice set of tools.
While the TMK will give slightly better numbers,both the 165 and 168 gr Nosler BT's advertise a slightly better BC than the 168 SMK.

These bullets are quite accurate and their hunting performance is very good.

Hands down,I would GREATLY prefer a 168 gr Ballistic Tip or AB over a MK for hunting.
The standard Ballistic Tip 165 gr will work fine on a white tail.

Last edited:
If you want to use a 168gr match grade bullet for hunting, then i would recommend the 168gr. Berger VLD Hunting.

As noted, the match type bullets do not expand (much if any) and are not particularly desirable as an expanding type hunting round.

However, I would agree with a bullet weight of between 165 and 180 grain for general purpose use with the .308 Winchester cartridge and rifle. I note you mention 'whitetails' specifically. 150 grain bullets would work if you hunt in an area with clear shots and 'longer' ranges.

Much also depends on your ability to handload or depend on commercial ammunition. Either way, find a load that works well in your rifle (mechanically: feeding and ejecting) and is accurate to your standards and ability. And I repeat the wisdom of centuries of hunters. Precision placement of shot (rifle, arrow, spear or rock) is far more important than 'power'.

At the same time: A round that will always kill a moose or elk will always kill a deer (presuming a good hit is made). A round that will kill a ground squirrel or prairie dog may not kill a deer so well.

Yes, this is a 12 year old thread. My 50th Anniversary Sierra reloading manual says in bold print "Sierra does not recommend MatchKing bullets for hunting applications"

If the manufacturer does not recommend the use of their bullets in certain applications, that is good enough advice not to use them in that application.

I took 6 deer this year in SC. I shot everyone with Hornady 168 AMAX BTHP. Not a single deer left the corn pile. This round is deadly and will whitetail down with authority. The problem lies with accuracy for most hunters and most are too quick to shoot which will cause inaccuracy issues.

What sized deer at what range? Hell, shooting deer feeding on a bait pile, likely from tree or blind, at a distance likely measured in tens of feet, you should have been able to do that with a 40gr LRN .22lr ....

168 grain SMK and Nosler 165 grain BTBT both shoot to same POA with my 30-06 with the SMK giving tighter groups. I would never even think about hunting with a SMK.

A fellow that hunts with me every year now, was having problems for several years with finding his deer after they were shot. He is not a big shooter, although he does have some good equipment. It turns out he was using 168 bthp's that he had a good supply of. We drug quite a few animals out of dense woods where they ran after he shot them, while mine dropped right away.
I got him to change bullets, and this year he dropped a nice 11 pointer like he should.

Slamfire said:
Yes, this is a 12 year old thread. My 50th Anniversary Sierra reloading manual says in bold print "Sierra does not recommend MatchKing bullets for hunting applications"

If the manufacturer does not recommend the use of their bullets in certain applications, that is good enough advice not to use them in that application.
And on that note... closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back