Hunting Wild Hogs

Well I guess I should be way more specific in my posts. What I was speaking of earlier about restrictions was only for hunting on private land ONLY. Also I was speaking ONLY about direct hog hunting restrictions, I was IMPLYING the more common sense GENERAL hunting laws such as roadways, trespassing, and such. But forgive me, I will be sure to go into MUCH further depth when explaining such matters in the future.

Also if you are sensitive to humidity then parts of Texas won't be very good for you to live in. But we do have some pretty arid places here in this state also. The humidity is always through the roof where I live and am from. But there are plenty of arid locations here also.

Dufus said:
I have never understood how an animal could cause so much damage to land and the landowners will not let legitimate hunters help control the populations without payment....big business again.

Not big business. Landowners typically have quite a bit invested in their land. In Texas we pay property taxes which are high enough to offset the income taxes other states may impose. If a landowner has the opportunity to profit from something on his land I say more power to him. As long as he's charging a competitive fee I'd say all is fair. If he charges too much the feral hogs will destroy his place. If he doesn't charge enough the hunters will. ;)

Where are good places to retire to and go hog hunting?

Oklahoma is pretty good. Buy some land in southwest or south central OK that's on a flowing creek; the hogs will be there. Marginal land is still pretty cheap here. Look for land that's in the Wetlands Reserve Program.

1. Hunting license is not required on private land.
2. Baiting hogs and deer on private land is legal. Baiting turkeys=illegal.
3. Trapping hogs on private land is legal.
4. Presently we are not allowed to hunt hogs at night. However, a bill to allow hog hunting at night has passed both houses of the legislature. Soon as the senate fixes a couple mistakes the bill goes to the governor for signature.

Hunting hogs on the OK WMAs is a problematic thing that's not really worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Current Georgia regulations. We have 750k acres of national forest in North Georgia, and almost a million acres in WMA areas scattered through the state, but they are regulated independently, usually hunted by lottery. They are reported in like all but 2 counties, not for long.

Private Lands
No closed season; no limit. Feral hogs may be hunted at night with a light (no voltage restriction), which is carried on the person, affixed to a helmet or hat, or part of a belt system worn by a hunter. No hunting from a vehicle. Hunting over bait is allowed. A resident Hunting License is required to hunt feral hogs for all resident hunters 16 years old or older, except when hunting on land owned by them or their immediate family (blood or dependent relationship) residing in the same household. Non-residents must possess a non-resident hunting license. Exemptions to many of these restrictions for agricultural producers are available by permit, contact your local Game Management Office for details

National Forest Lands (outside of WMAs)
Hogs may be taken with archery equipment during archery deer season, with deer weapons during firearms deer season, with turkey weapons during turkey season and with small game weapons during small game season. Feral hogs may be hunted with dogs with appropriate weapons restrictions while training dogs during dates when training season coincides with small game or turkey season. No limit. No night hunting. No hunting over bait. Hunting license requirements must be met. Hunter orange is required during firearms and primitive weapons deer seasons.

Here is a map showing Texas public hunting lands. Note that many of these localities are quite small and that they are not evenly distributed across the state. http://tpwd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/One...676c21a336fe32

Thank you for helping me to understand that. looks ridiculously complicated to say the least. the small parcels of a couple hundred acres, or far less are complicated enough with having a different set of species and regulations for each one! We have a lot of public land in Ohio, but its mostly large chunks that are connected, and with few exceptions, they all carry the same regulations.

I hope I'm not hijacking a thread, but I think it would be of interest to the OP as well to know what states have the best hog hunting on public land. I think everyone knows Texas is the hog capitol, but looks like it would be tough for a non-landowner without a lot of local connections.

Thank you for helping me to understand that. looks ridiculously complicated to say the least.

Well, it is certainly convoluted and shows just how easily over a million acres isn't much to hunt in the grand scheme, especially when lots of that million isn't for hogs or deer.

As the OP, let me say thanks to everyone for your input and suggestions. I won't actually be retiring very soon, so I have plenty of time to think about it. I started thinking about it last March when I began getting a senior discount at my local range. :rolleyes:
And, I figured this is an interesting topic to discuss, not just for me but for lots of folks ... and it is.

Thanks again.

As I understand it, and I believe my research into this started following a post here by an admin, there are lots of rural areas subdivided into 50 acre lots out in the middle of nowhere for dirt cheap. Many people buy them intending to retire to them, but never go. May not have water or utilities. As such one can buy one of these lots and the surrounding area will be vacant lots almost no one ever goes to.
For an idea of land prices:
http://www.landwatch.com/default.aspx?ct=r&type=5,75;137,1378;268,6843&r.PRIC=,75999
Some listings there at about $500 an acre. Not many places around me are close to that price.

Back