Hunting squirrels in brush with open sights

Don't even consider a .22LR w/o a scope.

I don't mean to be contentious, but I've reach my bag limit countless times with a Marlin model 60 w/o a scope. All head shots! I regularly put a .22 bullet through the squirrels ears. It gets harder past 50 yards, so I don't take shots more than 50 yards. Maybe a scope would change that. But a scope isn't going to raise the bag limit. I like scopes, but I don't like always having to sight them in.

Squirrels are fast and really fast when they are shot at.

If you use a scope, be sure to follow the squirrel with both eyes open. If you shut one eye you will likely loose sight of the squirrel. I usually wait until the squirrel stops for a second, then bang!

Squirrels are very cautious creatures. If you can't get one stop for a good shot, try barking like a dog (If I can fool any dog I can fool a squirrel). That will freeze him for a second, or two, as he will try to locate the threat. It usually spooks all the other squirrels too and they will run and hide, but so does a rifle shot. They will venture out again in ten or fifteen minutes.

rebeldon, whatever sights are used vary with one's ability to focus one's eyes. For some it's just the way God made 'em; for others it's an age thing.

I really hate to try to do any good with lining up two blurs on a sharp-focus target. Sucks.

:D, Art

Also, in the olden days

Used to borrow my Uncles over/under that had a .22 on top and a .410 or 20 ga. on the bottom. Don't remember the brand as I was just a young pup back then and was too concerned about that, just if it went "boom":D. You covered all bases that way.

Back