Hunting Permission

Those that hunt hogs with night vision - what specific gear do you use? Goggles, or NV scope, or independent NV device in front of the stand-alone optic?

Siotwo- Mulies

Where I used to live, out in the deep sand, there were a few, but the rancher that owned the 25 section ranch I had permission to hunt on did not want folks to shoot his quail (there were a lot) or his deer (a very few). He kinda thought of those as pets. But I had permission to be there any time I cared to be, and could shoot anything else in season (oh yeah, he liked javalina too). In fact, we were obligated to shoot any feral hogs we saw. Out there where water is restricted to windmills, there is no better dove hunting in the world. When I was kid, 30+ rabbits a night was not uncommon.

I now live in a little wetter country where there is a stock tank every two to three hundred yards, so the dove are way more spread out. There are no mule deer, but we're practically covered up with white tails. Our place is not very big (notice the handle), but it's ours and a good place to raise kids. It's also nice to be able to deer hunt every day of the season just by checking on the livestock.

20's enough

Hey 20, sounds like a piece of heaven.

I was talking to a buddy of mine (he likes to eat) and I told him it would be cool to own some longhorns..he said "aaaaahhhh.. I'd have Black Angus" I was rolling.

Well, since this is the permission thread....If you ever need help with shooting any thing, you know who to call.

:D

FirstFreedom. Using night vision at night is not as easy as it sounds. You are pretty much blind compared to the game. I have been busted my coyotes at up to around 400 yards using night vision.

When I hunt pigs at night I go to a place where the pigs are going to be (or hope they will) and just sit and listen. "piglets make so much noise" I use the night vision to get a good look at the pigs. Then I use a light and a red dot to make a shot.

I just use a hand held spoting scope. I tried to sneak up on deer with the NV and had no good luck. I don't know what it is. but I think the deer and coyotes can see better at night or there senses are so good that "day or night" it really does not matter. The only thing the NV does is allow you to see at night but it seems like we still stick out like a sore thumb even at night.

I looking at getting a NV scope and give that a try. I can be more selective with my shot. With a flash light and red dot you don't have much time to make a shot.

I always approach the ranchers in the off season so I can scout the property if I get permission.

Last season I got access to over 6000 acres of land. One fellow turned me down for shooting deer but invited me to hunt antelope, he was trying to raise a small herd of mulies back to a larger herd. I thanked him and told him I'd try for an antelope license again next season.

A couple of the ranchers have given me carte blanche to come on their property anytime and shoot coyotes. Out in the Eastern Plains of Colorado there are some of the biggest coyotes I have ever seen.

Well, impact, thanks, but how do you hold the light and shoot your rifle at the same time? Do you use a headlamp or what? And so you take of your NV before making the shot? Seems that in the process of taking off NV, grabbing light, holding light while aiming, the game is going to be gone by that time....?? Maybe one of those spotlights that mount on top of your scope or red dot are a better initial investment...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...pe&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml

And why can't you just shoot with the NV on but no light, with the red dot turned down to the lowest light setting?

I have a light that mounts to my gun and a 6 volt battery pack that goes in a backpack or pocket. This light is rated out to 350 yards. It makes mucho light :D. I like the red dot over the scope because you don't have to shoulder the gun to make a shot. most all my pig shots at night are within 50 yards.

The NV with a red dot did not work so well. It's really cool because you can see the whole beam from the red dot. and with the NV the beam is yellow not red.

The problem I had is that the NV is to sensitive to light. Yes even to the red dot. At night things get wet from the night air down here in Texas. When I put the red dot on the pig looking through the NV. the whole pig lit up like a big yellow light. "I could not see a dot"

I just use the NV to see whats around! but you still have to be very quiet and not move around much and keep down wind.

Our lease is an enormous cattle ranch and they ask that we be off 30 minutes after sundown unless there's a hog on the ground. So I just never knew if it was Texas Law or Ranch Policy.

That's your Ranch Policy, and that's a shame. A big part of hunting for me is going back to our ranch house and cooking dinner, policing up the kitchen and then sitting outside by the fire swapping stories with my buddy, while our sons go varmint hunting. They jump on the four wheelers and take off to the designated spot of the night and call for coyotes. They also check our hog traps and our varmint traps. If it's not too cold, Warren and I might go with them.

If we have had luck with the hog traps, we might have a ham on the smoker all night.

We did get a visit from the game warden one night, before he got to know us.

Last edited:
Back