Hunting knife for big hands

Bamaranger,

I actually ordered the svord skinner above, will be here in a few days.
Don't be put off by the appearance, some do need a little honing at first.
They do have more "finished" versions of some of their knives, but cost a lot more.

I like the low cost "rough" versions.
Some folks buy them just to harvest the blade and make a project out of shining them up and making handles for them.

Anyhoo, I don't want to hijack the thread anymore than I already have.

Bark River Knives are my favorite. Their Bravo series, Aurora series, and their classic hunter series would fit the bill. I find their Nessmuck style collaboration to be a great skinner. They are al convex ground so that may require a little learning curve for stropping/sharpening but they have a lifetime warranty, and will refirb the knife for $15 shipping and handling under their "spa treatment." Their sheaths have a lifetime warranty as well.

You can "pre order" their knives to be built with your preferred handle materials. Just such a cool business model.

Here's three of mine.
3a4e3904245678eb0b5e0e2b77bf48cc.jpg

This may sound self-promoting, but I'll share anyway.

You may want to consider having something custom-made for you. There are many knifemakers (myself included) who would be happy to make something for you and can tailor it to fit your big hands. Also, usually custom makers use better materials than a knife that sells for $150 at Bass Pro.

Just a thought.

PS. You'll likely have to increase your budget a bit if you go that route, but I think you might find it worthwhile.

Ok here is a Svord skinner. It has a big blanketyblank handle.

I didn't have anything to skin for demonstration, so I split a piece of remnant cow hide with it.
Couple of size references

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1b9f20f3f0b404802c897c4952156dd0.jpg

Back