Hunting ethics

I, my Buddy and his boy were sitting in an over grown area deer hunting one morning. It was a lot of boulders and saplings. Thick, but open enough to see anything moving. We were there about a half hour and a couple truckloads(Literally) of Amish started a drive through. If you have ever seen them in action, you know what I am talking about. They pretty much shoot whatever pops up and are really close together. They were not past us more than 20 minutes when my Buddy's kid shot a doe that was walking through. I always figured if I picked out 3 deer while walking around, I probably walked past 7 I did not see. I have often caught deer sneaking away by looking BEHIND me when walking around. The biggest buck I ever got should not have been up feeding at that time during hunting season. I was just walking around. You never know.

If I see a hunter taking a stand, or still hunting in the bush or woods, I try to steer clear of him or just back-off, with the intent of not spreading my scent all around his stand.

Though on a ole backwoods logging road, major trail, or an electric line right of way...I figure the hunter wants to go from one place to another in a reasonable amount of time --- and I would not fret about him doing so --- Because I don't think he's violating any sportmans ethic {besides baiting if illegal}. I would calmly let him pass, because that is always a risk, when you set up or still hunt near an ole logging road, backwoods trail or an electric/gas line right of way.

Last edited:
Back