"Hunting" Definition?

Originally posted by Jo6pak:

I've found in my experience that when someone asks "What do you consider hunting." It is just a lame attempt to make themselves feel and sound superior to someone else that doesn't do it exactly the way that they do.

The question "What is hunting" is like "What is success?" Everyone has an individual answer.... and no answer is incorrect

I've actually had good conversations with folks about hunting and ethics that had nothing to do with feelings of superiority or being condescending. Many times it was folks from other parts of the country or world where traditions/practices are different from ours here in Wisconsin. Deer Drives are a prime example. Nothing more traditional here in Wisconsin than making a deer drive. Been used around here for longer than folks have hunted with firearms. But in many other parts of the country, driving deer is looked at like how we Wisconsinites look at using dogs for deer. The answer is correct as long as what is being done is being done legally and humanely. Otherwise there are names for it other than hunting. Some folks claim that shooting at a deer a few minutes before shooting time or after shooting time is still hunting. It's not. It's violating. Same goes for not waiting for a good shot presentation. There are folks that will shoot at a Tom Turkey @ 80 yards and draw feathers and brag about "knocked him down" when all they have done is irresponsibly maimed a bird for the 'yotes to catch....or the deer hunter that only makes a half-hearted attempt at finding a wounded deer because "it's just a small doe". None of those is correct, but those folks still consider themselves a hunter.

In the hunter safety classes I have helped teach, I've found that students talking hunting ethics amongst their peers generally molds their own ethics. Introducing them to positive hunting ethics many times will stay with them their whole life, even when others in their hunting party do things they would not.

Jo6pak said:
It is just a lame attempt to make themselves feel and sound superior to someone else that doesn't do it exactly the way that they do.

I respectfully disagree. I could sit around a campfire or the wood burning stove and discuss what hunting is and the ethics there of all night. And have on occasion.

I agree with Joe actually. There are plenty of posts saying this or that isn't really hunting. Most commonly that hunting from a stand is harvesting and not hunting. So, I suppose you can tell everybody you are going deer harvesting and that would make them happy.

Back