Hunting bullet choice, please. One for them all.

Any thoughts on the Norma Oryx and Vulcan?

New supplier source found!! :D Great to find another supplier of stuff.

There is one here, and another in Sweden that will ship bullets and other stuff as long as the stuff doesn't go bang!

These would be about 165gr and 180gr respectively.

Thoughts?

The Swede stocks Partitions, but they are much more expensive, even before shipping. The Norma' are about 60% of the Nosler price. That was true of buying Noslers locally too.

In my somewhat limited experience with premium bullets there isn't that much difference between them .When you're hunting hitting different things , meat, bone etc , you'
All get different performance but all better than standard bullets ..I like the Barnes all copper but Swift A-frame , Nosler partition etc all work well .

30 calibers are not really my thing but ill give you the best advise I have. The very first thing is to find what shoots well in your gun. I would try to lean toward the medium to the medium/heavy for caliber bullets. Go too light and the bullets tend to blow up or loose velocity/accuracy too fast. Go to heavy and you get the FMJ effect with no expansion because of the slow velocity.

I recently switched from the 165 SGK (hollow point) to the 165 SST... took a large doe two days ago at about 80 yards. Broadside hit to the heart with a golf ball sized exit wound. Bullet performed great and on paper it gives me consistent 1/2" moa (~2420 fps).

Availability sort of made my choice for me in the end.

Partitions would have been my first choice, but they were out and with no delivery date on record, I didn't want to wait. A number of you said "if it is a quality bullet from a quality company it will do the job to a comparable degree". In that sense, I think that Norma is still a quality brand and the Oryx a quality bullet.

So, 80 Norma Oryx 165gr Soft Point bullets. A bunch for load development and them some loads for practice.

They weren't cheap (€0.66 a piece), but they were actually cheaper than the others I had seen online (partitions are about twice that). Those others that were actually all sold out.
The shop also had Norma Vulcans at 180gr, but I thought that heavier would mean slower and slower means less expansion.

Certainly, so far, my rifle seems to favour loads that are somewhat lower than max, when it comes to accuracy.

I will start a new thread for load development on this subject, but thanks for al the suggestions.

A number of you said "if it is a quality bullet from a quality company it will do the job to a comparable degree"
That's why I always say use the most accurate bullet you can find, and don't agonize over "performance" since they will all do the job when PLACED correctly

Y'know, from what I've seen, heard about or read of, over a sixty-five-year period, there's hardly any combination of a "decent" cartridge and some brand of hunting bullet that won't kill a deer or elk if the shooter does his part.

At the same time, there's not a combination made where there has not been some freaky "It went all wrong!" event.

Y'know, from what I've seen, heard about or read of, over a sixty-five-year period, there's hardly any combination of a "decent" cartridge and some brand of hunting bullet that won't kill a deer or elk if the shooter does his part.

At the same time, there's not a combination made where there has not been some freaky "It went all wrong!" event.
Exactly.
That's why the most accurate bullet is always the best for each individual rifle, since "performance" has too many variables to be truly predictable

Most game is really easy to kill when you stick to the last six words in your post

Back