Hunting bullet choice, please. One for them all.

Pond James Pond

This is a request for bullet choice, not cartridge!

Calibre: .308
Game: boar, deer, and elk. (In that order of likely hunting)
Range: 50-250m (max, I think)
Manufacturer: Hornady, Sako, Lapua, Sierra, Nolser or Barnes. (no particular preference.)
Restrictions: No FMJ. Preferably soft point.

That is quite a bit of free rein, so what would you recommend?
(a rationale for your choice is not obligatory, but would be interesting)

Last edited:
ANY 150-165 gr hunting design that shoots BEST in your rifle

The animals you listed aren't hard to kill with a well placed shot, and all the bullets designed for hunting will do the job.

The most expensive, high tech projectile in the world won't work if it doesn't go where it's needed

Remington Core-loc or Hornady Interloc seem to do fine in all calibers I have used on deer. 180 grain remington in 30-40 krag turned a deer heart into jelly last year. Wish I could give a report on the Hornady SST.

165 grain Hornady Interlock, WW case, WW 748 or H380, CCI 200 or 250 with the H380. Never misses, never fails, and flat hammers deer. That's in 308.
In the '06, WW brass, 180 grain Interlock, WW760/H414, CCI 200. Kills anything in the eastern US including Bullwinkle, but you have to shoot the big ones TWICE!

To be sure, a well made soft point will do fine, but the performance can be improved upon especially for elk...nosler partition has long been the yardstick of performance to measure others by, barnes are almost indestructible but they really do like more velocity than what the .308 gives them IMO, though the 130ttsx might do well (and with mono metals the weight isn't as big a deal, that ttsx will still out penetrate a 180 grain cup and core lead bullet any day through any medium)...I think the best universal bullet, for absolutely ensuring best performance on the widest range of game across the widest range of impact velocity and therefore distances, has to be one of the ballistic tip boat tailed bonded core bullets ( the alliteration was not intentional but that is fun to say nonetheless)...Hornady Interbond, Nosler Accubond, Swift Scirocco.

165 Accubond. It performs on game exactly like the Partition with the long range ballistics of the Ballistic tip.

Of course most any 150-180 gr bullet would do the job, especially at those ranges. I just think the Accubond has a slight edge.

I've had excellent results with the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core from several rifles chambered to the .308. One rifle, a Ruger M77 RSI is a one trick pony and that's the only bullet it will accept using W760 which it too slow for the cartridge until 180 gr. and heavier bullets IMO. As hogs that will possible be large and elk are on the list, I would suggest a 165 gr. bullet, the Nosler Accubond or Partition, whichever shoots best in your rifle.
Paul B.

GMX has the advantage of not having lead in them so I suppose for a round that will yield meat for consumption that is a good thing.

So it would be interesting to see what results people get.

Back