Hunt Alone?

Art? You aren't saying that you leave the meat there to rot are you?

I never considered butchering it on the spot. I guess I should check with PA DNR to find out if it's legal here in PA. Hunting season is almost here!!!! woohoo

Never hunted alone, prob never will. My friend and I work a team when hunting.

------------------
Dead [Black Ops]

Kilgore: Nope, nope, nope. Phrased it wrong. Along with the meat, I carry the horns, but not the rest of the skull.

I remember one hunt with Damron. We were hunting down along the Rio Grande back in '66 (That's 1966, Dennis, not 1866!) and the temperature was running in the high eighties. We knew from nuttin', then, about mule deer hunting; we'd walked some eight or nine miles and still were around five or more miles from camp. I looked at him; he looked at me:

"Hams, backstraps and head." Another mile.
"Hams, backstraps and horns." Another mile.
"Backstraps and horns." Another mile.
"Hell with the horns, and we'll eat him, right here!"

:), Art

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited August 25, 2000).]

If you're hunting deer or other medium game, make sure you're in decent shape to haul the carcass out of the woods. Lots of deer hunters every year dying of heart attacks from packing out. (Buck's revenge?)

I'm glad to hear that. It wasn't in keeping with your style from what I've seen here.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jtduncan:
Does anybody here hunt alone?

From a safety standpoint, it's always bets to have a companion, but how many of us hunt alone? I can get some great weekday early morning jaunts in and if I'm lucky can take the game home before going into work.

I'm planning on hunting small game at the local army base on their property with their permission (you have to register) and was advised that a percentage of hunters hunt alone, especially the deer hunters.

How many people hunt alone here?

[/quote]

JT, it seems to me that the answer to your question lies in how comfortable you are in being in the outdoors alone. Otherwise, hunting alone shouldn't be anymore dangerous or uncomfortable than say, hiking, camping, or fishing alone. From a safety perspective, the only ingredient added to the hunting scenario is the firearm that you carry, and by practicing common firearm safety precautions, you should feel just as safe with a firearm as without it. (Actually, I consider the drive to the hunting area to be the most dangerous part of the whole trip! Being on the highway is more life-threatening than anything that I have ever done in the outdoors.)

For years, I've hunted both with partners and alone and have learned that there are advantages and disadvantages to both. However, I try to be just as cautious when hunting with someone as I am when alone. Being with others does not prevent me from falling, getting snake bitten, or injured in some other way. Those things could happen regardless of how many others are around. So, I make it a point to always be aware of my surroundings and circumstances, so that I can avoid accidents -- it's the old rule of "an ounce of prevention ..." My goal is to not put myself in the position of having to be rescued. Otherwise, I accept the fact that something unpleasant could happen just as it could happen in my kitchen at home.

Which ever you choose, prepare yourself mentally and physically, and enjoy. Good luck with your hunting!

Back