Huge Explosion!!

FYI, bagged nitrogen fertilizer is not Ammonia Nitrate.
You can buy Ammonium Nitrate fertilizers, but it's harder to find since new storage regulations were put place

I used to buy TONS of it for my pastures

34-0-0 is ammonium nitrate, it just also has some other ingredients as well, mine 10% sulpher and its also coated with somethgn to mae it extended release

34-0-0 is ammonium nitrate, it just also has some other ingredients as well, mine 10% sulpher and its also coated with somethgn to mae it extended release

Read the product label. The only source that I'm aware of for Ammonia Nitrate fertilizer in your area was Southern States in Carrollton and it was only available in bulk (by the ton). Southern States closed their doors last year. Packaged (50# bags) Ammonia Nitrate was a thing of the past shortly after Oklahoma City.

My friend Dave and I played with this concoction quite a bit before his Mom passed and the family farm was sold.

We ended up pulverizing the ammonium nitrate (which can be purchased from a chemical supply warehouse) with a small blender.

If it's damp out you have to work fast because the pellets, once broken, are EXTREMELY hygroscopic.

By grinding it fine you also mess with the ratio of nitrate to aluminum powder, so you have to play with that.

Once we got it figured out, we got some extremely potent kabooms.

Ammonia Nitrate was a thing of the past shortly after Oklahoma City.
It's still available, but the problem is many dealers stopped carrying it due to tightened storage regulations.

I've got a friend that runs the Altus Coop and there is something about Aluminum Nitrate and Urea that don't go together. He explains it like there is something that makes the two products crawl across the building to get to each other and where they meet it ends up as a terrible sticky mess. I don't know why it does that but he won't put the two chemicals in the same building.

Back