Huckabee is on the move in Iowa, now polling 2nd

What does Huckabee's fundraising look like? His campaign organization and grassroots energy? His advertising? His straw poll results?

That's the true mark of progress in Iowa; people *participating* in the caucus

I think that you have this backwards. The Iowa straw polls are a measure of how much money a candidate is willing to spend, requiring the candidate to pay about $20 for each voter to be registered in the poll. You don't even have to be a Republican to vote. They are virtually meaningless as anything other than a test of a candidate's organizing ability. Historically, they have been a poor indicator of Iowa caucus results. Pat Robertson and former Senator Phill Graham are past winners.

The Iowa straw polls are meaningless on another basis: the Iowa Republican Party does not allocate Republican National Convention delegates based on the results. They do that based on the Iowa Caucus results.

Huckabee is (Nov. 14, 2007) now within striking distance of winning the Iowa caucus.

Last edited:
What about this allegation that Huckabee is soft on illegal immigration? That's the most worrying part to me about him; that and religious zealousness (failure to guard the separation of church and state). Otherwise he sounds good, but those are two big negative ticks for me.

What about this allegation that Huckabee is soft on illegal immigration?

I am also concerned. I have read his official releases on illegal immigration, but he really does not seem to take a strong stand. So, I am in a wait and see mode.

Just saw Huckabee (11-14-07) being interviewed by Bill Hemmer on Fox.

He said that his position on illegal immigration includes:
-opposes amnesty
-favors a much stronger border with a physical fence
-opposes sanctuary cities

However, he does seem sort of iffy on cutting off benefits to illegals; for example, he favored allowing children of illegals to compete for State academic scholarships if they attended high school in Arkansas and first applied for citizenship.

From what I read on his web sight, It didn't sound like he was soft on illegals to me.

Thanks for posting. I guess I was reading older statements from his web site. That statement is a lot tougher than his original position. He is sounding better all the time.

Unregistered said:
I am not trying to be contrary, but are you saying the new rules have been officially changed and no longer apply? I agree thread jacking should not be allowed, but it is sometimes difficult to discuss candidates in a vacuum. I hope I don't get banned for asking this.
I have edited out my warning. A warning that was made in anger. I apologize to you and everyone else for letting my anger get the better of me.

However, there are 649 threads since January, about or heavily referenced to RP. This is a bit much. Yes, candidates should be compared. But when every comparison revolves upon Ron Paul, it inevitably turns every thread into a Ron Paul thread.

Ron Paul is not the be-all nor the end-all of political candidacy. That is the mark of fanaticism.

defjon, thanks for posting this:

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/11/13/huckabee/

Reminds me a bit of 1992. Some Arkansas guys came down to Miami to help fix our power grid after hurricane Andrew, and I asked them what they thought of Bill Clinton. The responses were not positive, to say the least.

I haven't heard many people from Arkansas speak up in favor of Huckabee, and the Salon article helps explain why.

Ron Paul is not the be-all nor the end-all of political candidacy. That is the mark of fanaticism.

I agree. There are definitely things about Paul that I don't agree with, and that he could improve on. I appreciate the way you have handled this issue.

And he seemed like a real life conservative when I saw him on Glenn Beck. OOPS. :D. I guess most politicians are the same in that they will flip or flop depending on who the audience is.

However, there are 649 threads since January, about or heavily referenced to RP. This is a bit much. Yes, candidates should be compared. But when every comparison revolves upon Ron Paul, it inevitably turns every thread into a Ron Paul thread.

As I said, Redstate banned them altogether because they would not respond to repeated requests from the members to stop doing that to every thread.

If they can behave and not be fanatical here as they were there, it'd be a better solution.

Here's an idea: If the thread is about a candidate you're not voting for, just talk about why you're not voting for them, and don't mention who you are voting for. You don't have to.

Were we not talking about Huckabee here? I'm not voting for him because there are rumors he's a liberal with religion and a temper, because too many Arkansans seem to dislike him, because a couple of better candidates are running, and because he doesn't seem to me to have the money to wage a campaign.

(Oh, and RedState only banned references to Uknowwho by newbies, not longstanding members. Things here are not OK if Antipitas is pissed, and I feel bad about that.)

What about this allegation that Huckabee is soft on illegal immigration? That's the most worrying part to me about him; that and religious zealousness (failure to guard the separation of church and state). Otherwise he sounds good, but those are two big negative ticks for me.

I'm still leary on his stand on illegal immigration. Need more time before I decide to vote for him. As far as failing to guard separation of church and state: This is a completely different topic altogether, but the short of what I think is people have distorted this statement more ways than silly putty can take a shape. Huckabee, apparantly from what I've seen, has kept the separation as originally intended and has advocated freedom OF religion. Not freedom FROM religion. And to add what I think: Atheism is a religion also....

GoSlash,
I've observed the same as you. No Huckabee signs, yet. OTOH, I've seen Edwards, Obama, and Hillary bumper stickers and yard signs here. So, I only take that with a grain of salt...for now...

I've seen Huckabee signs in NH.

I think people here are sick of illegals, after a bunch of MS-13 types in Nashua just had a machete fight that turned into a small riot and gunshots hitting two houses nearby. That NEVER happened before this far north.

If Huckabee has any sense, he'll address that. People are ANGRY.

Back