Huckabee Gaining Ground in Iowa

xnavy

Huckabee Gaining Ground in Iowa

By Dan Balz and Jon Cohen
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, November 21, 2007; Page A01

Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, buoyed by strong support from Christian conservatives, has surged past three of his better-known presidential rivals and is now challenging former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney for the lead in the Iowa Republican caucuses, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News Poll.

Huckabee has tripled his support in Iowa since late July, eclipsing former New York mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, former senator Fred D. Thompson (Tenn.) and Sen. John McCain (Ariz.). Huckabee now runs nearly evenly with Romney, the longtime Iowa front-runner.

Huckabee's rise from dark horse to contender in Iowa is one more unexpected twist in a race that has remained fluid throughout the year and adds another unpredictable element to the competition for the GOP nomination. His support in Iowa appears stronger and more enthusiastic than that of his rivals.

Still, there are other signs in the poll suggesting that Romney remains the candidate to beat in the state and that gains for Huckabee may be harder to achieve in the next 43 days than they were over the past four months.

Romney outperforms Huckabee and other Republicans on key attributes, with two notable exceptions -- perceptions of which candidate best understands people's problems and which candidate is the most honest and trustworthy. On both, Romney and Huckabee are tied. At the same time, Iowa Republicans see the former Arkansas governor as less credible than Romney, Giuliani or McCain on some top issues.

The poll found that overall, 28 percent of likely GOP caucus-goers support Romney, while 24 percent support Huckabee. Thompson ran third in the poll at 15 percent, with Giuliani at about the same level, with 13 percent. McCain, whose Iowa campaign appeared to derail earlier this year over his stance on immigration, had 6 percent and was tied with Rep. Ron Paul (Tex.), who rose from 2 percent in July.

Huckabee's gains were concentrated among the party's conservative core. He saw a 28-percentage-point jump in support from evangelical Protestants, to 44 percent, and a 19-point rise among conservatives, to 30 percent. Among previous caucus attendees, his support increased from 9 percent to 29 percent.

Huckabee probably benefited from the decision of Sen. Sam Brownback (Kan.) and others to quit the race. Brownback and Huckabee had been competing for many of the same religious and conservative voters. Moreover, Huckabee's gain in this poll does not come at the expense of those still running, all of whom are faring about the same as they were in July.

But almost half of Huckabee's supporters (48 percent) said they would definitely vote for him in January and only a quarter said there was a good chance that they would change their minds before the caucuses. In contrast, just 29 percent of Romney's backers said they would definitely vote for him, while 42 percent said there was a good chance that they could vote for someone else at the caucuses.

The enthusiasm among Huckabee supporters was striking, particularly in a year in which Republicans have been considerably dissatisfied with the field of candidates. Half of those who now back the former Arkansas governor said they are very enthusiastic about him, compared with 28 percent of Romney's backers.

But despite these advantages, Huckabee's support comes almost exclusively from certain groups of voters. His challenge will be to expand his appeal.

Nearly seven in 10 of his backers are evangelical Protestants, and nearly three-quarters attend religious services at least weekly. Just 5 percent of moderate and liberal GOP voters back his candidacy. Romney, by contrast, has wider support.

It is also primarily social issues that galvanize Huckabee's backers.

More than four in 10 Huckabee voters call abortion or broader moral or values issues the race's top one or two concerns. That is nearly double the number of Romney supporters to highlight these issues. Overall, three-quarters of likely GOP voters think that abortion should be illegal in most or all cases, and among the 24 percent who want the procedure to be unlawful in every instance, 36 percent support Huckabee and 22 percent Romney.

But a slew of issues drive likely GOP caucus-goers. A quarter of those surveyed said immigration is their biggest or second-biggest concern when considering whom to back on Jan. 3. The same percentage, 24 percent, highlighted the war in Iraq, and nearly as many, 21 percent, singled out terrorism and national security.

Ten percent or more cited five other issues: the economy, health care, abortion, taxes, and morals and family values. Overall, eight issues ranked in the double digits, making the discussion in the Republican contest potentially more wide-ranging than that on the Democratic side. Among likely Democratic caucus-goers, only three issues reach 10 percent, and two -- Iraq and health care -- dominate voters' concerns.

On immigration, Romney has an edge: 27 percent said the former Massachusetts governor is best on the issue, while Huckabee and Rep. Tom Tancredo (Colo.) each received 13 percent. No candidate is clearly preferred on the other top issue, Iraq, with Giuliani, McCain and Romney each considered the best by about two in 10. Giuliani doubles up the competition, however, on handling the terrorism fight.

Romney tops the field as the candidate most trusted to handle the economy and the federal budget deficit. He and Huckabee are preferred by about equal percentages on social issues, such as abortion and same-sex civil unions.

Campaign activity on the GOP side appears to be more subdued than it is among Democrats, perhaps in part because national leaders Giuliani and McCain are not prioritizing Iowa's caucus.

About six in 10 likely caucus-goers said they have been called by one of the campaigns. Twenty-nine percent have attended a campaign event, up six percentage points from July, but far less than the percentage of Democrats who have attended an event (52 percent). A third of GOP voters have visited one of the candidates' Web sites and 29 percent have received e-mail. About one in five has spoken with or shaken hands with one or more of the GOP candidates. Fifteen percent have contributed money.

Romney, who has pinned his bid for the nomination on success in Iowa and New Hampshire, is widely seen as the candidate who has made the biggest effort in the Hawkeye state. More than six in 10 said that he has "campaigned the hardest in Iowa." That's up 14 percentage points from July, and no other candidate scored in the double digits on that question.

Romney has an advantage on the question of who has the "best experience to be president," after a 10-point increase from July, when he was about even with Giuliani and McCain. Romney had held a marginally significant edge on "best understands problems of people like you," but while he has stayed at 21 percent on this question, Huckabee has soared from 10 percent to 25 percent.

In July, Romney had the lead on "most honest and trustworthy" at 21 percent. He has risen to 25 percent, but Huckabee jumped from 10 percent to 26 percent.

Romney and Giuliani share the top spot as the field's "strongest leader" and as the Republicans with the best shot at capturing the White House in November 2008. About one in eight said Huckabee is the most electable Republican, while 1 percent thought so in July. About a quarter of evangelical Protestants now think Huckabee is the GOP's top option; four months ago, that percentage was less than 1 percent.

The poll was conducted by telephone Nov. 14 to 18 among a random sample of 400 likely GOP caucus-goers. The results have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus five percentage points.

Polling analyst Jennifer Agiesta contributed to this report.

I would be willing to vote for Huckabee. But with his previous career as a Baptist preacher, unusual beliefs about the history of the Earth, and obvious lack of charisma, I am afraid he will be blown out of the water by the Democratic nominee.

The more they talk about him in the media, the better he does in the polls. The better he does in the polls, the more they talk about him in the media.
And so the expectations are raised.
But with no organization, no money, no support among the people who are actually attending the caucuses (you know I have yet to see a Huckabee yard sign??), and nobody to go door-to-door extolling his virtues...he is doomed to failure.
That'd be bad enough on it's own, but it's worse because there's an expectation in the media that he will do well. When he doesn't he'll be finished.
So please,by all means, post all the stories you find about how well he "polls".

Unregistered said:
I would be willing to vote for Huckabee. But with his previous career as a Baptist preacher, unusual beliefs about the history of the Earth, and obvious lack of charisma, I am afraid he will be blown out of the water by the Democratic nominee.

not to mention his government mandated "preventative" healthcare, his federal ban on smoking and abortion, and how all of a sudden hes tough on immigration and taxes. he used to be my second choice. not anymore.

Was about to expand upon the point above, but upon further reflection it's only tangent to the subject at hand.

If anybody thinks they can gauge progress in a primary horserace by the polls, they don't understand anything at all about primaries. Especially in a caucus state.

I knew the Ron Paul supporters would come running to bash Huckabee when Ron Paul continues to poll less than 5% with all the money that he has. What people don't understand is that Ron Paul has Zero chance at winning the nomination while Huckabee is well on his way to winning Iowa. Ron Paul won't win a single state in the republican nomination process.

The more they talk about him in the media, the better he does in the polls. The better he does in the polls, the more they talk about him in the media.
And so the expectations are raised.
But with no organization, no money, no support among the people who are actually attending the caucuses (you know I have yet to see a Huckabee yard sign??), and nobody to go door-to-door extolling his virtues...he is doomed to failure.
That'd be bad enough on it's own, but it's worse because there's an expectation in the media that he will do well. When he doesn't he'll be finished.
So please,by all means, post all the stories you find about how well he "polls".

For someone who constantly whines about people attacking your candidate, you sure don't seem to mind ripping on ours.

I'm sorry.... "ripping on" your candidate? :rolleyes: If you look back through my previous posts regarding your candidate you'll see that I've spoken relatively kindly of him. Yes, I prefer another candidate, but I've hardly said anything to "rip" on yours. Not that *that* has anything to do with this topic.

I'm just pointing out the facts about polls and primaries. Winning an Iowa caucus means getting rumps in chairs at the precincts. This year it involves getting them out there in the dead of winter just after Christmas & New Years.
That requires more than just media air time; it requires door-to-door canvassing, tv ads, phone banking, registration drives, and organized groups of supporters. Not just state-wide, mind you; but within each precinct. And it all has to be done when "normal" people are Christmas shopping, celebrating their holidays, and traveling to visit family.
Who does Huckabee have at the grassroots level motivated enough to sacrafice their holiday on his behalf?

The polls you keep citing mean nothing beyond how many people recognize his name. I've told you that repeatedly, any campaign manager or poli-sci professor will tell you the same. And there's enough piles of failed candidates out there who will attest to that fact.
The vast majority of the Iowa caucus-goers are going into the precinct undecided. Unlike the balloting states, they will all be treated to campaign materials and stump speeches from supporters right before they vote....assuming that somebody is present who's willing to speak on their behalf.
That's Huckabee's fatal flaw.
So by all means, if you want to cling to the belief that poll numbers mean your candidate can win, keep pushing that idea. There are plenty enough other supporters from other campaigns you can commiserate with once the dust settles.

Huckabee clinches pivotal endorsement...woooooooo!

NEWS RELEASE
Ric Flair: "Mike Huckabee is the Man, Whooooo!"
Former World Heavyweight Champion 'Nature Boy' to Officially Endorse Huckabee on Saturday before Clemson-Carolina Game

ric-flair_story.jpg

Little Rock, AR – Former Arkansas Governor and Republican Presidential Candidate Mike Huckabee announced today the endorsement of professional wrestling legend "Nature Boy" Ric Flair, the former 16-time World Heavyweight Champion known worldwide for his "stylin' and profilin'" personality and his signature "Whooooooo" with which he ends interviews.

Flair will make his endorsement official by campaigning with Huckabee at a tailgate at 5:00 PM prior to the Clemson-Carolina game that will take place just outside the West Entrance to Williams Brice Stadium in Stadium Lot spaces 433-434 on Saturday, November 24.

"It's a tremendous honor to offer my support to such an outstanding leader as Mike Huckabee" Flair said. "His authentic conservative qualifications and level of executive leadership experience are unmatched by his opponents. And like I always say, to be the man, you've got to beat the man and Mike Huckabee is the man. Whoooooooo!"

Mr. Flair has previously campaigned for the presidential primary campaigns of George H.W. Bush, Bob Dole, and George W. Bush. His endorsement comes on the heels of the unveiling of a new Huckabee campaign ad featuring the endorsement of actor and martial arts expert, Chuck Norris.

"I am honored to have the support of Ric Flair. I'm a huge fan of the Nature Boy. My children grew up watching him and the Four Horseman. Most of all, I look forward to having Nature Boy join me on the campaign trail at the South Carolina-Clemson game this weekend. Ric's endorsement will help us put a figure four leg lock on our opponents.":D

Ha, I was just about to post the Chuck Norris thing.

I disagree that he lacks charisma - Huckabee is quite charismatic and very sharp, seems to me. Personally I don't like his religious fundamentalism either, nor his seeming "sudden interest" in being tough on illegal immigration, however. Definitely not my 1st or 2nd choice, but not last choice either. I'd prefer Thompson if the best candidate can't make it - and we all know who that is.

Because when I think about someone knowledgeable in Constitutional law, international relations, and economics, the first name that comes to mind is Rick Flair. :)

Edit
Actually the first name that comes to mind is Chuck Norris.

I find it quite funny that someone supporting Ron would cite the polls as meaning nothing because Huckabee is leading in them, yet touts un-scientific straw polls as the way to go because Ron has won a few of those, lol. I hate to tell you that these polls by ABC, USAtoday, Rasmussen, Zogby and others are way more credible than any straw poll you have been touting.

The only reason you are trying to discredit the Reliable Polling Data is because Ron barely cracks any of them while Huckabee and others are doing quite well. Trying to discredit current reliable polling data just shows how desperate you are trying to convince yourself that Paul has a chance. Even Huckabee is a long shot but he is coming on strong and that just gets your goat. The christian conservatives are starting to reconize that Huckabee is someone they can support and his support in that area is growing bigtime while Paul continues to tread water at about 5%. Pauls message does not resonate with voters while it appears that Huckabee's is starting to.

Most of us can't wait for the Iowa caucauses to start, where you can only vote one time, should be interesting to see Pauls final numbers when that happens.

Most of us can't wait for the Iowa caucauses to start...
Famous last words there ;)
Hey, I've got an idea: Why don't we just restrict the topic of conversation in this thread to Mike Huckabee's "gaining ground" (chuckle) per the forum rules?
You want to discuss another candidate's chances or lack thereof start a new thread or join one focusing on that topic.

It was about Mike Huckabees gaining ground in the credible polls. I mentioned your favorite candidate because you stated those polls don't mean anything and your signature line tag which flaunts the Ron Paul in every thread you answer in is just your way of circumventing said Forum rules. You make statements knowing full well those statements are meant to be about your favorite candidate and his straw poll victories.

You attacked the numbers that Mike Huckabee is generating in the polls and tried to discredit those polls with some half baked idea about why those polls don't mean anything.

Mike Huckabee is gaining ground and support from christians like he should. He is probably the only legitimate candidate of the second tier that has a shot at beating Romney in Iowa. If he does win Iowa I see him having a very good chance at winning the nomination. Huckabee is on the move.

Re: Polls, money, endorsements, as early indicators.

I just re-read the wiki entry for Howard Dean. About this time in 2003, he was very strong or leading in all three categories. Yet he finished third in Iowa caucus. Dean had a 30% lead in NH opinion polls just before that, yet lost the NH primary. I don't think he collapsed just because of the "scream" speech.

Still, all these early indicators don't seem to be very reliable forecasts of primary success. They are popular because they allow media to fill airtime with talking heads, and official-sounding "statistics". Why is everyone getting so worked up over them?

hammer,
Because without his Dean-like polling both of the Huckabee supporters would have nothing to talk about other than an ex-wrestler and some guy who hawks cheap fitness eqipment. He has no cash, no organization, and no support.
It doesn't remind me of the Deaniacs last time around so much as the McCain folks back in '99.

Some people just have to learn the hard way.

unusual beliefs about the history of the Earth

Unregistered, I assume you meant his belief in Creation? Uh...I hate to break this to you, but the majority of Americans believe in Creation. So Huckabee's beliefs are actually mainstream.

As far as being blown out of the water by, say, Hillary, you really ought to think that one through very carefully. Hillary has far more negatives to overcome than Huck does. Being a former Baptist preacher isn't as big a negative as his governorship is a positive. Hillary's or Obama's lack of experience will be very hard to ignore, and I still suspect most Americans will not want to vote for a woman, especially ANOTHER Clinton.

Back