HS-6 clones?

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

HS-6 is one of those hard to ignite ball powders that require a magnum primer to burn clean.

Yep and I have a few loads using SPM primers with HS-6 which do seem to be better but really nothing special . I have even used small "rifle" primers in some 357mag loads using HS-6 . That said I started loading 12ga last year ( yeah perfect time to start loading something new haha ) I had several pounds of HS-6 collecting dust and it turns out it's a powder I can use in 12ga loads so that's what I'm doing now . Also have a couple 44mag loads using HS-6 which seem to do well .

Hodgdon shows data for .40 S&W 180gr BERB bullets which should work okay with a cast bullet. As always start with the beginning load and work up watching for pressure. Also be aware of any difference in case capacity due to possible differences in seating depth using a different Bullet.

I want to be able to substitute a different powder and use that data.

If you try to do that, you won't get the same pressure or velocity from another powder at the same charge weight, unless the "other" powder is actually the same powder under a different name. If you could, there wouldn't be any reason for the other powders to be available, as they would duplicate effort. All powders tend to have a niche application or two.

Line 11 on this powder chart shows other powders that, with their charge weights adjusted for the individual powder, will produce similar velocities safely. Just bear in mind that different powders contain different amounts of stored chemical energy per grain of weight and produce differently shaped pressure curves, so the fact those other powders can get similar performance does not mean it happens when their charge weights are the same. You still need charge weight data for each powder.

Here's an old list of powders that shows which ones are the same but under a different name:

Code:
Powders from 2009 MSDS sheets (some newer MSDS sheets lack the powder name information due to
changes in MSDS requirement regulations).

Note that bulk grade versions have wider burn rate specs and can vary significantly from the
canister grades, which are controlled for burn rate by blending with held back fast or slow 
lots, as needed to adjust them to within ±3% of their nominal burn rates.

Canister      | Bulk Grade |       Canister         | Canister |      Canister        |
      Grade        |            |        Grade           |  Grade   |       Grade          |
                   | St. Marks  |                        |          |                      |
     Hodgdon       | Mil & OEM  |      Winchester        | Thales   |        IMR           |
___________________|__Numbers___|________________________|__(ADI)___|______________________|_
                   |            |                        |          |                      |
HP-38--------------|-- OBP231 --|- 231 ------------------|----------|----------------------|-
                   |   OBP124   |  AALite (WFL)          |          |                      |
Titewad            |   OBP132   |                        |          |                      |
Tightgroup --------|-- OBP242 --|------------------------|----------|----------------------|-
                   |   OBP465   |  Super-Handicap (WSH)  |          |                      |
Longshot           |   OBP473   |                        |          |                      |
Lil' Gun ----------|-- OBP516 --|------------------------|----------|----------------------|-
Hybrid 100V        |   SHP771   |                        |          |                      |
                   |   SMP224   |  AutoComp              |          |                      |
-------------------|--- WAA90 --|- WST ------------------|----------|----------------------|-
H110               |    WC296   |  296                   |          |                      |
HS-6               |    WC540   |  540                   |          |                      |
HS-7               |    WC571   |  571                   |          |                      |
-------------------|--- WC748 --|- 748 ------------------|----------|----------------------|-
H414               |    WC760   |  760                   |          |                      |
H335               |    WC844   |                        |          |                      |
BL-C(2)------------|--- WC846 --|------------------------|----------|----------------------|-
H380               |    WC852   |                        |          |                      |
US869              |    WC869   |                        |          |                      |
-------------------|-- WMR780 --|- Supreme 780 ----------|----------|----------------------|-
                   |   WXC170   |  WSF                   |          |                      |
Clays              |            |                        |  AS30N   |                      |
International Clays|------------|------------------------|- AS50N --|----------------------|-
Universal Clays    |            |                        |  AP70N   |                      |
H4227              |            |                        |  AR2205  |IMR 4227 second source|
H4198 -------------|------------|------------------------|- AR2207 -|----------------------|-
                   |            |                        |   BM1    |                      |
H322               |            |                        |  AR2219  |                      |
Benchmark          |            |                        |   BM2    |                      |
-------------------|------------|------------------------|- AR2210 -|- IMR 8208 XBR -------|-
H4895              |            |                        |  AR2206H |                      |
Varget             |            |                        |  AR2208  |                      |
H4350 -------------|------------|------------------------|- AR2209 -|----------------------|-
H4831              |            |                        |  AR2213  |                      |
H4831SC            |            |                        | AR2213SC |                      |
H1000 -------------|------------|------------------------|- AR2217 -|----------------------|-
Retumbo            |            |                        |  AR2225  |                      |
H50BMG             |            |                        |  AR2218  |                      |
-------------------|------------|------------------------|- AR2215 -|IMR 4198 second source|
                   |            |                        |  AS25BP  |IMR Trail Boss        |

FWIW HS-6 is my least favorite of those because it seems to smoke more and never seems to burn as clean as the others.

I tend to agree. But like all propellants, they'll burn clean if used properly. In the case of HS-6, "properly" is just a narrow window. It likes high pressure and heavy bullets.

I had good luck with it running clean and consistent with 180gn plated (and jacketed) bullets in 10mm Auto. I don't load for 40 S&W, however. So my data would just be what charge weight to NOT use :p.

I half agree with USSR and the use of magnum primers. It is true with revolver cartridges. But not with semi-autos. From my work ups, HS-6 burns consistently (when stoked up properly) without a mag primer. I'm talking about 9mm (124's, & 147's), 10mm (180's), and 45 ACP (230's).

Overall, I don't care for HS-6 and it's no longer in my inventory. But I have made consistent, clean running ammo with it. It does best in 357 (158's) and 44 Mag (240's). I will NOT use it in 38/44 Special - there just isn't enough pressure for a clean burn (unless you're loading beyond saami). But somehow, it does well in the low pressure 45 ACP (230's) - go figure.

I will NOT use it in 38/44 Special - there just isn't enough pressure for a clean burn (unless you're loading beyond saami).

Works real fine with 158gr SWCHP's in .38 Special +P loads, AKA "The FBI Load".

Don

Midway USA has HS-6 in stock right now.

So if you need some I suggest striking while the irons hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

.38-44 is an outstanding example of "beyond SAAMI." Probably around 26000 psi.

HS6 was the only powder I considered "dirty" in factory level 9mm. It would coke up the gun to the point of malfunction in a hundred rounds.

I use a lot of HS6 in 9mm, 38/357, 44 special, 44 magnum and 45 Colt. It burns and works better in the upper limits and I have found that a magnum primer in some but not all loads and calibers works better.
I have never experienced any issues of gun malfunctioning. It works really well for 38 plus P and Ruger only 45 Colt loads.

Back