HS-6 clones?

alanwk

Are there other powders that basically clone HS-6? I ask because when I look for data for a cast bullet, 180g there seems to be no mention of HS-6 powder. So if there are other powders that mimic
the HS-6 I would use that data if they would be listed on data sheets. Thanks

Mimic it how? Like in terms of volume and flow? Or in terms of burn rate? Unique and Power Pistol both have similar burn rates and versatility. But are completely different in terms of volume, charge weights, etc. So you certainly couldn’t use their charge weights to approximate a good charge weight for HS-6.
I would recommend that you’re better off working up a load using a similar cartridge that does have data. For example, data for 454 Casull is often sparse. Data for 44 Mag is more plentiful. When I’m trying to work up a load using a powder that has no 454 data, I look up the data for 44 mag, using the same bullet weight, as a starting point. And then I CAREFULLY work up a load from there.

Lyman has HS6 data for 175 gr cast bullets in the Secret Caliber, which is close enough for the Thinking Reloader.

Hodgdon has HS6 data for 180 gr plated bullets of the Secret Caliber, which is a reasonable starting place considering all the debate over whether plated bullets should be treated like cast or jacketed.

Accurate No 7 seems to be fairly close to HS6 in the Secret Caliber but it is not a "mimic" that you can substitute grain for grain.

H110 and w296 are the only two powders that i know of that even the manufacturer of them (they're not produced by hodgdon or Winchester) says they're the same powder, just in a different bottle. Only differences being lot differences.

If there's no data for hs6 and cast, it's likely because it's not going to work well with the cast lead. There's often a reason if it's universally not listed. But knowing what cartridge you're after, maybe others could offer more help.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

What is the cartridge? I'm guessing 40 again? What manuals or sources are you using for your loading data? Hodgdon has that load data for hs-6 in the 40. I have some other manuals I could look in.

No, you are not going to find a powder that exactly matches hs-6. there are only a very few powders that are made by the same companies under different names and you can interchange the load data.

Your questions have been kinda vague, we need more info to be able to understand what your trying to do to answer the question properly.

Last edited:
H110 and w296 are the only two powders that i know of that even the manufacturer of them (they're not produced by hodgdon or Winchester) says they're the same powder, just in a different bottle. Only differences being lot differences.

If there's no data for hs6 and cast, it's likely because it's not going to work well with the cast lead. There's often a reason if it's universally not listed. But knowing what cartridge you're after, maybe others could offer more help.

Hp-38 and w231 are as well. But those are the only 4 I am aware of.

What is the cartridge? I'm guessing 40 again? What manuals or sources are you using for your loading data? Hodgdon has that load data for hs-6 in the 40. I have some other manuals I could look in.

No, you are not going to find a powder that exactly matches hs-6. there are only a very few powders that are made by the same companies under different names and you can interchange the load data.

Your questions have been kinda vague, we need more info to be able to understand what your trying to do to answer the question properly.
What I am trying to do is stated in my post. I want to be able to substitute a different powder and use that data. Hope I made myself clear. Thanks

What I am trying to do is stated in my post. I want to be able to substitute a different powder and use that data. Hope I made myself clear. Thanks
You're not going to be able to substitute another powder's data for hs6. Hell, even though I KNOW h110 and w296 are literally the same, I don't go back and forth between the two like they are. I like my fingers and other appendages right where they are, thank you very much

What I am trying to do is stated in my post. I want to be able to substitute a different powder and use that data. Hope I made myself clear.

Not clear to me. Do you want to
1. Load HS6 with Brand X data
or do you want to
2. Load Brand X with its correct data for the same result as HS6.

No 1 can be hazardous to your health. It is related to the common burn rate chart inquiry.
No 2 is easy, there are mountains of data out there for other powders.

You cannot use powder x and use powder Y load data. There are only 2 exceptions that I am aware of hp-38 / w231, and h110 / w296. Those are the same powders, just made by 2 different companies. For all other powders, you have to use specific load data for each powder. You cannot substitute load data.

Last edited:
alanwk: I believe many of us are confused as to what you're trying to accomplish. As I infer it, you have HS-6 and a 180g cast bullet (what caliber? 10mm?, 44 Mag/Spl?), but you don't have load data for that combination. Is that correct?

alanwk: I believe many of us are confused as to what you're trying to accomplish. As I infer it, you have HS-6 and a 180g cast bullet (what caliber? 10mm?, 44 Mag/Spl?), but you don't have load data for that combination. Is that correct?
in a previous poste here,https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612279 the OP sated this
I am looking for some load data. I have Missouri Bullets 40S&W 180gr bullets that are coated in HiTec. I have HS-6 powder. I have seen some videos where they say with this coating you need to lower the load by 10%. Thanks

I am guessing it is for this load. I gave a link to Hodgdon for load data along with specifics as to how I would work a load up for that combination in that thread.

Still unclear on why the OP is trying to substitute load data for this powder.

Here is some load data from the manuals I have

Hodgdon, 180g lead SWC shows start 6.6 max 7.4
Lee, 180g copper plated, start 6.6, max 7.4
speer, 180g gold dot, start 7.3, max 8.2
lyman, 180g jackated start 8.1, max 9.6
lyman 175g lead, start 8.9, max 9.4
Hornady, 180g jackated, start 6.2, max 7.2

different manuals will have different data. always work up from start and make sure it functions properly and safely. try to choose bullet types similar to the ones you are using if possible.

There are only 2 exceptions that I am aware of hp-38 / w231, and h110 / w296. Those are the same powders, just made by 2 different companies.

They are all made by one company, St. Marks Powder Inc. in Florida, with different labels on them for Winchester and Hodgdon. And, there was a 3rd one, W571/HS-7, both of which are no longer made by St. Marks.

Don

You are correct. the cal is 40SW

What will you be using the load for, what are your trying to accomplish? are you looking for a general purpose training load similar to factory ammo? a light plinking load? a training load similar to your carry ammo? or pushing the load to max velocity for performance?

I'm with others that aren’t sure what you’re asking . I know in your head it sounds simple but the way you ask the question it is not . Simple answer is you can not “ substitute “ any one powder for another period . So there are no powders you can use as the question was asked .

Is there another powder that will give similar results ??? Yep , several - CFE pistol , Auto comp , WSF all have similar velocities at max charges but all max charges are very different from one another . I use all the powders mentioned but not in 40cal ( don't own a firearm in that caliber ) , FWIW HS-6 is my least favorite of those because it seems to smoke more and never seems to burn as clean as the others . Of those four, I like WSF , CFE pistol most . WSF is a bit cleaner and CFE gives slightly higher velocities in my uses which is 9mm , 357 , 45acp and 44mag

Last edited:
FWIW HS-6 is my least favorite of those because it seems to smoke more and never seems to burn as clean as the others .

HS-6 is one of those hard to ignite ball powders that require a magnum primer to burn clean.

Don

If your looking for other powders options check your manual and see what's available locally
Power pistol is my current favorite
Accurate #5 is good
Cfe pistol is supposed to be good, im testing it in 9mm currently
Longshot has the best velocity listed in my hornady manual

Heard hs-6 needs magnum primers to get a full clean burn. Never tried it myself for that reason.

Back