HS 2000 outglocks the glock

rblack

After reading the very favorable article about the HS 2000 in American Handgunner it got my interest. I went down to my local dealer and he actually had one in stock for $380.

The gun had a very nice trigger, very similar to the Glock, and the fit and finish was on par with Glock.

The next week there was a gun show in town and I found a dealer that had the gun marked for $300. After some negotiating the price was $275 and the gun came home with me that same day.

I just got the chance to run some ammo thru it last night and am very impressed with accuracy and performance. I reload, so everything I put thru it was my own. Some 124gr fmj and some 115gr jhp. In my opinion this gun is every bit the gun the Glock is and at a substantially lower price.

I just had to pass on the info, everytime I find what I think is a very good deal, I like to pass it on.

HS 200 Outgocoks the Glock? Pig Hocky I say!

HS 2000 copies the Glock as well as the Sig, HK and Walther is more like it. Your'e already one notch down on the price. I never see dealers in a position where they have to dicker down on a Glock in a given market. Let another round of gun legislation come through and see which make exits the shelf. BTW, where is the fully-staffed HS service center in the U.S.? Where are the parts and holsters?

Outglock the Glock? Why that's preposterous old boy! If it were not for Glock, HS would not be here.
How dare a writer disparage lineage of the finest combat handgun known to man by even suggesting such a travesty!

(Yes, they do feel good and I fondled one the other day. Be careful about profound conclusions until the test of time has been endured. Nice pistol go enjoy and keep us posted. ;))

I've handled one, looks like a nice piece, I hadn't realized the price was so reasonable. With the features I'd consider one, I like the extra grip safty. They need to come out with a compact, in a .40 or .45.

Bri

I've been thinking that I need one of these too, and what better Xmas present for myself! I imagine I should be able to get one for around $300 at the gun show, but if not, I'll have it transferred to my FFL straight from the importer in Knoxville TN. The lowest I've seen online was $269 at K-Arms in Alabama. The HS2000 seems to be getting good reviews, but I wonder how it compares to the CZ-75B?

The fellow who imports
these guns used one in Ken
Hackathorn's three day advanced
pisol course. He also shoots IDPA
with it. I believe he uses WOLF ammo
in his. I've never seen it malfunction.

The website for this pistol is http://www.hsarms.com.

It's really hard to compare this pistol to the CZ75B. I have the CZ also and they both shoot very well.

CZ is all steel and SA/DA, while the HS 2000 is DAO and has a polymer frame.

Two things I really like about the HS 2000 is the loaded chamber indicator, and the firing pin status indicator. One glance at the pistol and you know exactly what condition it is in. The more I shoot this pistol and carry it, the more I like it. When they come out with different calibers I will be in the market.

Even though this gun comes with
p.c. restricted capacity magazines,
my understanding is that a certain
brand of readily available pre-ban
hi-caps will fit it with slight
modification.

Well, no luck finding one at the show just now, and most of the dealers didn't even know what I was talking about. I plan to order one straight from HS Arms tomorrow, avoiding the sales tax and the middle man in the process (well almost as I still have to pay a transfer fee). I'm sure HS Arms will have some suggestions about "normal" capacity magazines. I've read that HS Arms imported 50,000 of them from Croatia for $8.6 million, giving the small country's economy a nice boost. They are mainly marketing to law enforcement, looking to outglock the glock. Everything I've read about it indicates it's a winner.

The only beef I have with this pistol...

...is its major difference with the Glock. Namely, that the Glock is not a true single-action; racking the slide only takes the striker to the half-cock position, you must pull the trigger to fully cock and release the striker. The HS2000, OTOH, seems to be a true single action, complete with a "cocked mechanism" indicator on the rear face of the slide, like the P-99, another pistol it resembles. It does have a grip safety, like a 1911, but it has no positive thumb safety like Old Slabsides and no mechanism to safely release the tension on the striker with a round in the chamber like the aforementioned P-99. In effect, what you have is the equivalent of a 1911 with neither a positive thumb safety nor a hammer spur. Once you rack the slide, the only way to uncock the pistol is to pull the trigger. It took me a while to get used to a half-cocked Glock; it'll be another few years before I'm entirely sold on the HS2000's mechanics.

This pistol does however have four different safties.

Trigger safety
Grip safety
firing pin safety
out of battery safety, which seems could prevent a KaBoom.

As far as I'm concerned, this pistol is an even safer pistol to carry than the Glock, and I have nothing against Glock pistols.

My 14 yr old son and I just did some target practice with it using 115gr jhp loaded with 5.0gr of Universal. We were shooting at full (old) beer cans at about 15yds. He and I both could hit a can almost every shot. Those cans really explode with a jhp thru them.

Say What?!

rblack,

Were those beer cans unopened? I mean, was there beer in them? They were refilled with water right? Tell me you didn't use beer as a target ... :eek:

- sensop

Not to worry sensop, the beer was was very old and yes it was unopened.

denfoote, American Handgunner was the one that said that. I think Glocks are very good pistols, but even Glock perfection can be improved on, and I like the grip on the HS 2000 much better than the Glock.

I recently sent out an e-mail to the folks in knoxville regarding future caliber choices. Return mail stated .40s&w would be out in late january to early feb. with .357 sig to follow several months later. we'll see?

If I'm not mistaken, a version in 45 is also coming out in 2001. I wonder whether it will give the G30 a run for its money.

If these pistols pan out as I think they will, and they can hold their prices for a while. They will definitely give Glock a run for their money.

Impossible: Glock was the first comercially successful polymer weapon.

HK made it to the dance first with the VP70 series but it didn't take with the shooting public. Glock made polymer what is today in the world of handguns. Try as they may, IM Metal and the HS2000 will never have an impact on the market of this magnitude.

[Edited by Will Beararms on 12-20-2000 at 10:16 PM]

Back