How's your typical range session?

One of Clancy's books (pretty sure it's 'Executive Orders') has an FBI agent that regularly goes to the range and shoots his 'for keeps' target first with no warm up at all.

I think there is quite a bit of value at looking critically at your first target and the first five or ten rounds. I try to ask myself what those first rounds tell me about my technique. Looking at them critically can tell me what needs work, how consistent I am, what might have degenerated since my last shooting session. (I envy you that get to go once or more each week; my schedule only allows me to go shooting once a month or so.) On days that I improve during a session, it is often because of what I learned about myself by thinking about those first few shots. And as implied by Mr. Clancy, it is probably a better indicator of how you will do in a real situation than those targets in the middle of a session that cause us to take pictures to post online.

It takes a bit to calm down and start grouping well. I sometimes get the "range jitters" as they're know. I get over excited and this can lower performance early on at the range. Once I settle down and settle in, I go into my "spirit zone" where my chi realigns with my Yin Yang sign and it's all smooth sailing from there.

Unless there's that guy with his SBR AR-15 with the freakin' giant muzzle break kicking thunderous fireballs downrange two feet away right next to me! LOL! :D

Typical handgun session? All the following are approximates. If I find that some facet needs more work, I may add to one phase.

50rnds warmup, shooting for accuracy and practicing marksmanship fundamentals with .22LR, starting at 7yrds backing it out to 25yrds in increments (7, 10, 15, 20, 25yrds).

300rnds of 9mm on average (primarily 9mm, though sometimes another caliber, but mostly I shoot 9mm and primarily through my CZ SP01)

--first 50rnds for accuracy at varying distances out to 25yrds (shot strong hand, weak hand, and freestyle).

--Next 50rnds going from holstered on single targets at varying distances out to 25yrds (freestyle/strong only/transition to weak hand).

--Next 50rnds from holstered on 2-3 targets at varying distances out to 25yrds (same free/strong/weak).

--Next 150rnds from holstered, various stages with up to 15 targets, shooting on the move, shooting around barriers, reloading, freestyle/strong/weak on targets of varying distances.

Then I do 50rnds at defensive ranges with carry pistol (CZ P07 also in 9mm).

Lastly, 10rnds shot freestyle for accuracy at 25yrds with the .22LR again.

Repeat 2-3 times per month.

Some times there is some rifle or shotgun training (usually 1-2 times per month, about 300rnds rifle and/or 100rnds shotgun), where pistol will get used for approx 100rnds.

Plus at least one time per month doing precision rifle training (about 30-50rnds), where no handguns are shot. Warm up is done with a .22LR trainer for 20rnds prior to working with the centerfire rifle.

I use the .22LR to warm up, but at this point it's more about getting my mind clear of everything else going on in my life/the world and getting ready to tackle my training plan than it is to settle my shooting.

And yes, I do reload. ;)

Honestly, I don't really have a "warm-up" period when I go shooting. Unless it's to hop back in my heated car because my fingers and toes have stopped communicating with the rest of my body (like today...). :p

My typical range session is 50 to 100 rounds with a specific handgun, with a rough plan of what I want to work on. Today it was first round hits from the holster. Started at 25 yards on a steel silhouette (slightly smaller than an IPSC or IDPA target), 10 draws, 8 hits and caught myself slapping the trigger on the misses. Not bad for shooting with winter gloves on. Then I spent some time working over the plate rack at about 10 yards.

For me, I find picking a skill to work on and planning my range visit around it, is more beneficial to skill building than merely showing up with boxes of ammo and saying "let's shoot stuff." I tend to save the "let's shoot stuff" days for when out with friends now. :D

(But to tell the truth, my approach is probably from a combination of the recent ammo scarcity and my days shooting EIC rifle matches, where you have no sighters and warm-up is 3 minutes of preparation time. Once that's up you are on the score card. Back when ammo was cheap and I had no responsibilities I used to shoot up 200-250 rounds of 9mm at a time barely slowing down to reload magazines.)

I try to have a plan before I get there, but I most always start and finish with basic marksmanship fundamentals. Usually 50-100 rds.

Back